IGNORED

Sunderland

markjazzbassist

Shithouse result. Don't give a crap about the effort if we didn't get a result against the bottom club.

Their keeper had a really good game today. Would be worse if we did not test their keeper at all. We did test him several times with 10 men and looked more likely to score than Sunderland. One freak incident from Osman lost us the game.

Sunderland got lucky today. We went after them and forced that ogre to make same excellent saves. Something went wrong for us and they got lucky. We still rallied and showed a lot of spirit and were really unlucky not to equalize. I can't say I'm disappointed in how we played this out. A point or three would've been amazing, and our play certainly warranted that. But, oh well, it wasn't meant to be today. At least the pressure of remaining unbeaten at home is off. And, hey, we can try a few new things against Southampton (because, well, we have to).

Guest rusty747

Good second half effort but we are still missing that little bit of composure, class and killer instinct in the final third. It's better than previous seasons but there is still an element of waiting for something to happen in the final third rather than making it happen. Approach play is good but then it seems to break down.

Guest rusty747

Our next game just got more difficult and more important. With Southampton winning well away at Cardiff they will be confident and we will be missing Tim and Gazza. Still think we will have enough to beat them though. Actually, I'm pleased we don't have to wait long for the next game as it will get the sour taste of this one out of my mouth soonest.

I think some of you are a bit out of order robe honest, the guys deserve a lot of respect for their effort and we have to applaud that!

The result isn't everything with RM as it was with moyes, you want him back?

And Mirralas isn't excused for walking of the pitch, that's not his decision to make. It was six mins from half time. He looked ok when he had the ball and shot disn't he?

Barkley can be excused for trying too hard. He just wanted to save our record and maybe his youth got the better of him!

Guest rusty747

From what I am hearing, I think we might appreciate Mirallas 'doing what he had to do' in the changing room bog rather than on the pitch. Wouldn't have fancied making a sliding tackle anywhere he might have been on the pitch otherwise. Agree with you about Barkley 100%

I'm sorry, guys, I think this might be on me. i was unable to see the Spurs game and that one was apparently quite shitty, I was unable to see the Swansea game and that one was apparently quite shitty and now I was unable to see the Sunderland game and it looks like it finally cost us. I'll do better next time.

wanker :shaking fist:

:P

I thought second half that was actually one of our best performances for a few games now, it just wasnt our day

I suppose the way we play it out from the back like we do we should expect the occasional cock up like that from time to time but what was going through Howards head when he gave that suicidal ball to Osman ? Obviously Osman was equally culpable but it was just real comedy defending

Even though it happened right in front of me Im still not sure wether or not it was actually a penalty , what was the general consensus from you guys watching it on the box/streams?

Dunc I agree, great second half. The stream I watched showed the replay close to 6 times. Tim had very slight contact, so yes to contact, but it was so slight that it was clear that Ki flopped. The commentators were saying it was more about Howard's intent but I don't know if I agree. I think he went for the ball and Ki moved and he just barely caught him.

I think the true test will come on Sunday with Southampton, if we are going to maintain our challenge for the top 4 then we need to bounce back against them. I believe that this team under Martinez has the character and skill to do it. I expect them to be back to their fluent exciting best and blow Southampton away.

It will be harder without Howard and Barry, but Osman will be fired up to make amends, and at least Roubles has played now in a competitive match.

We definitely need a CM in the window, and also a winger (hopefully McGeady). If we manage to get Heitinger and Jelavic off the pay roll then I expect a center back and striker to follow, with the striker from from a loan from a Spanish club.

Very impressed with the team in the second half, they will feel hurt by this, and there is nothing more dangerous than a hurt Everton, especially under Martinez!

Even though it happened right in front of me Im still not sure wether or not it was actually a penalty , what was the general consensus from you guys watching it on the box/streams?

Few people saying there was minimal, if any contact. But it was impossible for the ref not to make the decisions he did.

Very sad that players in that position decide to go for the pen rather than trying to score the goal, probably lacked confidence that he could put it away.

Would've been better if Tim had just let him score (though understandable what he did).....with an hour plus to go we'd almost certainly have turned it around with eleven men on the pitch.

I am disappointed obviously, but thinking about it calmly I have convinced myself that as disasters go, this one is not as bad as it might have been. Look at some of the other results. We are not out of this yet lads one defeat does not destroy our chances.

Cheer up we will come good again very soon and I sincerely believe there will be a hell of a reaction to this.

There was contact no doubt, but the kind of contact that used to bring Gareth Bale down before referee's showed him a yellow card last season. Tim never had a chance because as soon as Ki hit the deck Tim's body language just screamed out "I'm gone". He wouldn't have done his chances any harm had he got up and appealed to the ref that he went down very softly, but I guess that says a lot about Tim's integrity.

I'm not sure of the technicalities in regards to the rules but it makes me so angry that as long as there is contact, regardless of whether it actually impedes the attacker at all, it is a penalty. My view of the incident was Howard just outstretched his body to try and make himself as wide as possible. He didn't intentionally try to trip Ki, Ki just saw the opportunity to take a player out of the game and he did it well. Ki very easily could have stayed on his feet and just tapped the ball in. I can't hold it against the player for going to ground because I suppose most players would have done the same and it's just the nature of the game at the moment, but it's something I would hope our players wouldn't do if they were in his position. He had Howard well beaten, all he had to do was tap it in and get on with the game, but he's taken advantage of a formality in the rules and hit the deck in a situation just to claim contact, not because he was impeded.

Anyway, I think the loss has a silver lining. As Poyet said, even with 10 players we gave Sunderland headaches. Big fan of Poyet for showing such humility in that situation, nothing worse for me than arrogant managers who can't give credit where it's due - see Roberto Mancini.

The 5 point gap between us and Arsenal seems quite large now. I thought if we could just keep pace with them our final placing would take care of itself. Hopefully these next few (arguably) easier games we can get maximum points and make back that ground.