IGNORED

Sunderland

markjazzbassist

It will be a short week especially with the holiday, but I'm looking forward to having Leighton Baines back in the lineup. I'm hoping for a dominant performance and a big win at home.

Howard

Coleman Jags Distin Oviedo

McCarthy Barry

Mirallas Barkley Pienaar

Lukaku

I'm expecting Baines to come on as a sub in the 60th minute or so, and expect Bryan to move up to replace Pienaar, and Osman will come on for Barkley or Mirallas. Or do you think Baines will start?

I'm hoping that Alcaraz will get his chance against Sunderland. He's a good player, and this would be his first chance to prove his worth.

If I had to pick my team, it would be:

Robles

Coleman Jagielka Alcaraz Oviedo

McCarthy Barry

Naismith Barkley Pienaar

Lukaku

If we are ahead by at least two goals at 60 minutes, then give Vellios a chance to prove himself. Also, let Stones replace Jagielka. We need to rest some key players before the Saints come marching in.

Edited by Cornish Steve

Centre back partnerships are not something you mess with unless you have to. He's just going to have to wait for an injury or loss of form for Jags or Distin.

I agree. Maybe the Cup game but with Jags and Distin playing well together consistently, the last thing we need to do is meddle.

Give the old man a rest against QPR and maybe if we want to go 5 at the back at the end of the game but that's it.

Guest rusty747

Interesting one this. I say start with our strongest team and ring the changes early second half if we are up by 2 or more.

I would start with

Howard

Coleman Jags Distin Oviedo

Barry McCarthy

Mirallas. Barkley. Peanuts

Lukaku

And look to bring Baines on for Peanuts, pushing Oviedo to LM. Maybe swap Ross for Ossie after about 65 mins and give Velios the last 10 mins for Lukaku.

Centre back partnerships are not something you mess with unless you have to. He's just going to have to wait for an injury or loss of form for Jags or Distin.

I understand your rationale, but I'm not sure that I agree. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" is a sensible maxim. On the other hand, when you have options available, why not use them to rest your starters, experiment with new strategies, and prepare for potential injuries. In today's game, it's not a good idea to start the same players week in and week out. Doesn't this apply to centre backs as well as to other positions? The top teams win because of squad depth and the smart rotation of players.

Rotating your CB's for the sake of it is just wrong. That whole system relies on understanding and understanding has to be built. That can't be done if you're swapping and changing.

Distin and Jags hardly look like they need a rest anyway. Plus, tbh, Alcaraz isn't as good as either one of them so unless it's necessary then he can stay on the bench.

Howard

Coleman, Jags, Distin, Oviedo (rather rest Baines until Southampton games)

MIrallas, McCarthy, Barry, Pienaar,

Barkley, Jelavic

I would play a 4 with Coleman and Ovideo playing as WB.

Barry in defensive mid.

McCarthy, MIrallas, and Pienaar holding midfield.

Barkley behind Jelavic.

Jelavic up front by himself.

I want Jelavic to get some game time. Lukaku is a great player but would he play better if he came on in the second half.

Don't mess with the team, this is a banana skin, they are fighting for their lives and should not be judged on league position.

Start with a high tempo, pressure them, create and take our chances. Get 2 goals up and make subtle changes if required... We can't afford to take these lightly.

This for me

I understand your rationale, but I'm not sure that I agree. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" is a sensible maxim. On the other hand, when you have options available, why not use them to rest your starters, experiment with new strategies, and prepare for potential injuries. In today's game, it's not a good idea to start the same players week in and week out. Doesn't this apply to centre backs as well as to other positions? The top teams win because of squad depth and the smart rotation of players.

not in the premier league..when we have the best chance of champions league qualification that we have had or possibly will have for a while..the cb's don't cover as much ground as the attacking players or full backs..they are both very fit guys..they can manage 40+ games a year

Sunderland a fighting for their lives but like Brett says they haven't got much up front so three at the back could be a viable option. But. Think we are just hitting our stride without playing amazing and wouldn't change a lot. Ross and Gareth are one booking away from a one match ban and I'd be seriously tempted to rest Ross and play Osman. Sunderland have two away games and are without brown and maybe Oshea and I think theyd be happy with a low scoring defeat and will park the bus. Patience might be the key. Ossie in for Ross and keep him for the saints on tv. Lukaku needs to get some decent service and I think he will bag a couple. Everton to win 3-0 Kevin with the other

Sunderland a fighting for their lives but like Brett says they haven't got much up front so three at the back could be a viable option. But. Think we are just hitting our stride without playing amazing and wouldn't change a lot. Ross and Gareth are one booking away from a one match ban and I'd be seriously tempted to rest Ross and play Osman. Sunderland have two away games and are without brown and maybe Oshea and I think theyd be happy with a low scoring defeat and will park the bus. Patience might be the key. Ossie in for Ross and keep him for the saints on tv. Lukaku needs to get some decent service and I think he will bag a couple. Everton to win 3-0 Kevin with the other

Fighting for their lives..........but happy for a low scoring defeat !

I'd like to hear that team talk :rofl: