IGNORED

Norwich

Finn balor

Read the report on ToffeeWeb and seemed a decent performance with some key players out and didn't let in a goal either. I don't like Norwich City so today was a bonus. Making so much progress with Martinez thus far than Moyes would have acheived, and still on course for european places by end of season. May catch the highlights program later today if the BBC bother to show enough of the team and not have to wait 'til last fucking featured. Well done to those involved in getting the three points on this afternoon. This is the very kind of game last season that the team would have struggled with under David Moyes so more power to Martinez in getting what would appear a straight-forward victory and making further progess.

I thought we completely controlled the first half without ever really being spectacular or having to exert ourselves. There were moments of some stunning play but it was mostly a case of efficiency and being professional to get the job done with the minimum of fuss. Even though we didn’t push ourselves all that much we didn’t struggle to create openings and it didn’t take us long to go ahead. And our play may not have been spectacular but our goal certainly was. Barry hit it so sweetly. There was no stopping that. We really should have gone in at half time more than just the one ahead.

I don’t think we ever really got into our stride in the second half to be honest. We just seemed a little lacklustre to me, nowhere near as well as we’d played for the first 45 minutes. We still didn’t seem in much danger though and increased our lead before the hour mark. It was another fantastic goal; this time a free kick by Mirallas. When the game started to slip for us was when we changed to three at the back. For some reason we looked absolutely lost from that point onwards and Norwich looked a far greater threat. Fortunately through some poor finishing and some good defending we maintained our clean sheet.

Howard – I thought there a couple of occasions he stood rooted to his line when he should have been coming for balls but other than that he did well.

Coleman – A quiet game from him yesterday, in terms of his attacking play. He was also caught out defensively a bit once we changed to three at the back.

Stones – A couple of times he did make me have my heart in my mouth, but he was still cool as a cucumber. He was unflappable.

Jagielka – You wouldn’t have thought he’d missed the past three games, he slotted back in like he’d never been away and marshalled superbly. Made even more impressive as he was asked to play as the more unfamiliar left sided centre back.

Baines – I thought he was superb in the first half, much more like the Baines that has terrorised defences for the past few years. His link-up with Pienaar was so good to watch, I loved him driving at the Norwich defence and his underlapping was a thing of beauty. It’s such a good attribute to have, it confuses defences no end.

Mirallas – Easily his best game for a while, IMO. He was always a threat, particularly on the counter, and always wanted to run at his man. He was another that really linked up well with others as well. He added to his performance by scoring a beautiful free kick too. He couldn’t have placed it any better. Even though I thought he had a great game I also found him incredibly frustrating – most of the time he’d do the hard work and it’d look like something was on only for him to make the wrong decision and mess it up, or have a terrible touch when he was breaking away. So, better from him but there’s still plenty of improving for him to do.

McCarthy – Like Coleman, I thought he had a very quiet game and I didn’t really notice him all that much throughout the game.

Barry – Absolutely fantastic, a brilliant performance by him. For someone who is known for not being very mobile he was everywhere on the pitch for us – mopping up in front of the defence one moment by just knowing where to position himself, and then the next moment being right up the pitch scoring a screamer. It wasn’t the only time he found himself so high up the pitch though; he was up there quite a lot. My MOTM.

Pienaar – In the first half I thought he was by far our best player. He was absolutely fantastic. Linking up with Baines, Lukaku, Osman, Barry… everyone really. He was very busy in that he never stopped moving, twisting and turning away from the opposition, making room for himself. If he could have kept up that sort of level for longer he’d have been my MOTM.

Osman – I thought he was decent in patches. When he got involved he looked good but for massive chunks of the game I didn’t know he was really there. If he’s going to play as the number 10 then he needs to do more for me. He drifts in and out too much.

Lukaku – I don’t know what he’d had for his breakfast yesterday but I hope he keeps having it because his first touch was massively improved from what we’d seen so far. When he controlled a high ball dropping out of the sky perfectly being a great example. I thought he just had a great game all round to be honest. His work rate was top notch, he linked up brilliantly with those around him, he used his strength well. The only thing that was missing from his performance was a goal and he really should have had one – how he didn’t score from that header in the first half is a mystery!

1: West Brom; 0-0.

2: Cardiff City; 0-0.

3: Chelsea; 1-0.

4: Villa; 2-0.

5: Spurs; 0-0.

6: Palace; 0-0.

7: Stoke; 4-0.

8: Manchester United; 1-0.

9: QPR; 4-0.

10: Norwich; 2-0.

9 clean sheets in the Premier League & 10 if you include the FA Cup game against QPR. Overall we have played 24 games this season (21 in the league and 3 in the cups so far).

1: West Brom; 0-0.

2: Cardiff City; 0-0.

3: Chelsea; 1-0.

4: Villa; 2-0.

5: Spurs; 0-0.

6: Palace; 0-0.

7: Stoke; 4-0.

8: Manchester United; 1-0.

9: QPR; 4-0.

10: Norwich; 2-0.

9 clean sheets in the Premier League & 10 if you include the FA Cup game against QPR. Overall we have played 24 games this season (21 in the league and 3 in the cups so far).

Thank you. Impressive stuff indeed.

I don't get up to goodison park much as I'd like as I'm a southern supporter who works most weekends. However I was there for this game and was surprised how quiet it was. No singing before or at the start of the game. Only a slight bit of noise after both goals. It's not been like that in previous seasons. Is it just that it was freezing cold and Norwich aren't a 'big' club?

I don't get up to goodison park much as I'd like as I'm a southern supporter who works most weekends. However I was there for this game and was surprised how quiet it was. No singing before or at the start of the game. Only a slight bit of noise after both goals. It's not been like that in previous seasons. Is it just that it was freezing cold and Norwich aren't a 'big' club?

Very few grounds have the atmosphere of the "old" days.....all seater stadiums contributed, as does the high price of tickets now so it's no longer "the working man's game".

The fact that the Norwich game was such a relaxing stroll I suppose would be another reason......I came out of the Southampton game hoarse!

Away support is probably better, but I'd love a return to how it was.......being at Goodison in recent years for the Benfica and Sporting games was just awesome because of the non stop noise from the Portuguese fans!