IGNORED

Would Fellaini fit in our team today?

I haven't seen anything brilliant from him. He had a good game against Luxemburg, but that's not what I would call brilliant. Hope Dembélé starts in stead.

I think he showed great class. Dembele (??) on the other hand did nothing but pass backwards like he did in his early forward days. He frustrated the hell out of me.

I think he showed great class. Dembele (??) on the other hand did nothing but pass backwards like he did in his early forward days. He frustrated the hell out of me.

If Fellaini plays, he'll be lined up right against the defensive line of the opposition like he always is, our defenders and holding midfielders won't have any short options and we'll be forced to go long.

If Fellaini plays, he'll be lined up right against the defensive line of the opposition like he always is, our defenders and holding midfielders won't have any short options and we'll be forced to go long.

Que? You're talking Chinese mate. I have no idea what you just meant to say.

Edited by Mirallas

Well if he's used as an attacking mid, like you described, then that's his job. But he won't play there, cause Kevin De Bruyne will play in CAM.

Even if De Bruyne is the attacking midfielder on paper, Fellaini will still be up top a lot when we try to build play whereas De Bruyne will come to the ball. And I don't like that he basically plays as a second striker right up agains the defense as opposed to in between the lines. His positioning was why we looked stale against Sweden imo. And it's why we looked crap against Tunisia with lots of long balls that led nowhere, even though obviously De Bruyne was rested in that game. Obviously it can be effective at times, but I don't like it and would much rather see our best short passers in midfield.

Ive always liked Felli. But I think weve moved on from the style of football that gets the best out of him. I think people forget his performances against the likes of City when he "marradonnad" bellamy? But would I have dembele or Felli as an example? Dembele every time

I don't particularly want him back but people saying they wouldn't have him for £6M are taking the piss. Would you have been happy if we had sold him for that 12 months ago?

We have a gaping big hole in our midfield for a defensive midfielder and I reckon that is his best position so if the fee was right and the wage was right I would take him back

In the way he has very little technical ability with the ball at his feet:

First touch - suspect

Passing range - 5m

Shooting range - 50p :)

ok, agree on the latter 2 points but I always thought his first touch and control was very good for someone so tall. I loved the way he would bring the ball down whenever he could, rather than play head tennis.

His passing range in a RM team though wouldn't be an issue, neither would his shooting range. I think he would be very good in a possession based team in front of the back 4. Just his attitude that irritates me, plus he would want silly wages which I dont think he deserves.

His technical ability is very poor for a pro. He's good in the air, he's good with his chest. Limited with the ball at his feet. Can not dribble. He offers very little but presence and an eye for goal in the right position (behind the striker) he certainly wouldn't fit in Martinez system.

His technical ability is very poor for a pro. He's good in the air, he's good with his chest. Limited with the ball at his feet. Can not dribble. He offers very little but presence and an eye for goal in the right position (behind the striker) he certainly wouldn't fit in Martinez system.

this does make me chuckle a bit like. i just wish someone had keot the original fellaini thread. everyine thought he was amazing and our best player by far. wigs aglore in goodison. as soon as he moves and stinks at old trafford everyone begins to remeber faults about the player. from the begining i always said he slowed our play down and was a liability in midfield. i was mocked for this........until now.

this does make me chuckle a bit like. i just wish someone had keot the original fellaini thread. everyine thought he was amazing and our best player by far. wigs aglore in goodison. as soon as he moves and stinks at old trafford everyone begins to remeber faults about the player. from the begining i always said he slowed our play down and was a liability in midfield. i was mocked for this........until now.

Wasn't around when that thread was here but I've never been an admirer if his all round game. Used like he was in his final season he's a decent player but it affects the whole side with him playing

• 2 weeks later...

mm... Watch him at the world cup, he's shown some brilliance during the friendlies.

I haven't seen anything brilliant from him. He had a good game against Luxemburg, but that's not what I would call brilliant. Hope Dembélé starts in stead.

judging from the Algeria game, it looks like i was right about Fellaini and Dembele :P

judging from the Algeria game, it looks like i was right about Fellaini and Dembele :P

Yeah, he deserves to start now. It's tough to say whether Russia are gonna sit as deep as Algeria or not, but as long as we don't have full backs who can stretch the pitch, I would play Fellaini if the opposition sit deep so we can stretch the pitch vertically. But then we should not be afraid to just aim long balls at his chest from the start, we shouldn't be dilly-dallying at the back trying to play the ball forward across the deck cause that's not gonna be easy if he's basically playing as a second striker.

And with Backwards, off course I mean sideways. Here's Dembele's passing map:

Oa4NSas.png

Also note how Dembele's one pass in depth failed.