IGNORED

Would Fellaini fit in our team today?

To support your statement about speed, remember that block made by McCarthy on Saturday? He raced back when the Sunderland player was clean in front of goal and saved the day. I could never see Fellaini doing that.

I've always likened fellaini to being a treadmill runner - headphones on... level 14 and he plods away for the 90 minutes. Covers 12km and thats it.

McCarthy, De Jong, Henderson, Ramires, are like sprinters one minute they are jogging, then sprinting, then jogging. Dynamic.

Given Barry's age and Gibson's injury problems, I'd have Felliani back for around the 15 mil mark; however, I do believe that kind of money could be better spent on more players.

It's really up in the air about how much money we'll be able to spend this upcoming window. I'm expecting us to use a good bit of it on a striker (hopefully Lukaku) and the rest on squad depth and young talent.

We do need a CM like Felliani, but we could also find someone just as good for a lower price. I also think people are being a bit harsh on him. He's had a rough start to the season at ManU, but on his game, he is an excellent DM.

I'm just surprised how quickly fans on here are writing him off when the same fans were singing his praises a year ago... but don't get it twisted: we definitely got a steal a 27.5mil.

Edited by TonkaRoost

There's no way United will take half what they paid after just one season, especially after paying £4m more than they needed to! The fact that not one club came in for him at the £23.5m buy out clause says a lot too. To answer the title of the thread, yes he COULD fit into the team theoretically, but he wouldn't improve it as it currently stands (just my opinion of course). Barry and McCarthy are both better midfield options. If Barry signs elsewhere this summer, then I still wouldn't want Fellaini back. I would take a chance on M'Vila if he's available (if we don't have Barry), his attitude issues are something I think Roberto would excel at dealing with

I've always likened fellaini to being a treadmill runner - headphones on... level 14 and he plods away for the 90 minutes. Covers 12km and thats it.

McCarthy, De Jong, Henderson, Ramires, are like sprinters one minute they are jogging, then sprinting, then jogging. Dynamic.

If Fellaini had the same build as Veira you'd be loving him. Fellaini is quicker than you give him credit for, because his body is disproportionate it doesn't look as quick and the passes don't look as finesse. Out of interest, what do you think of Ivanovic at Chelsea?

Fellaini back here - negative

If Fellaini had the same build as Veira you'd be loving him. Fellaini is quicker than you give him credit for, because his body is disproportionate it doesn't look as quick and the passes don't look as finesse. Out of interest, what do you think of Ivanovic at Chelsea?

He's overrated.

Fellaini is one paced, viera was a machine the same way toure is, as soon as viera lost his legs that was it.

Ivanovic is pretty good, decent defender and a set piece threat...

I would take him back for a bargain price but I wouldn't fit him in my starting 11. I think a lot of people forget just how much he did to get us to 6th last season, how many times he saved the day in those scrappy games against bottom half opposition. He's been balls at United no doubt, but he's been used as a battering ram by Moyes in the last few seasons and he's moved into a squad that has RVP and Rooney as the focal points, needing quality ball and not Jagielka hoofs.

I think he could be used well as backup for our CM's or as mentioned a plan B up front if our wide play is shut down. But in all honesty, the bloke is never going to come back to Everton to come on as a bench player. He's clearly got too much of an ego on him, which was sometimes the driving force behind his passionate performances, but also why a lot of fans don't want him back.

I loved Fellaini when he was here, on his day he was unstoppable, shrugging players off for fun bringing balls down out the air on his chest like it was nothing! But, we've evolved a bit too much to suit his style, hope he comes good for Utd because he done well for us and we got a great price for him and its hard seeing him get slated so much when we know how good he can be.

Ivanovic is fucking brilliant, been Chelseas most consistent defender for years!

Martinez believes the answer is "no". http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2608604/David-Moyes-deserves-warm-reception-return-Everton-Manchester-United-boss-says-former-captain-David-Weir.html

Indeed, he doesn’t believe Fellaini would get in his side, who start the day in fifth place, nine points ahead of United despite slipping up in midweek against Crystal Palace.

‘You’re looking at McCarthy, Gareth Barry, Leon Osman —where would Fellaini fit in?’ said Martinez, all good fuel for the Everton faithful waiting to bait their former idol.

‘In football you move on so quickly. I’m just so happy with the squad that we have. It’s incredible to have that mixture of youth and experience. It looks like this side has been playing together for the last five years. It’s so natural.’

Its funny how quick a player is forgotten about when they move to another club! I for one would have him back in a heart beat! On his day he is unstoppable! And he was getting better every season. I think he would easily fit into our system playing next to McCarthy. Granted we may not of had McCarthy if we didn't sell Fellaini! But i think we would have had them both and Barry was Bobbys plan b if the big fella left. But he went and we got Barry who's been excellent so it worked out for us!

I still wonder what it would have been like if we kept him an got McCarthy as well tho...

I'm shocked that some of you would even consider taking Felli back. He had some dominating games for us without a doubt, but overall he was terribly inconsistent and a hothead. In 196 appreances for Everton, he managed to pick up 55 yellow cards and 3 red cards. That means he picked up a booking in about one out of every three matches. We don't want or need a player like that. Not to mention, he had more bookings than goals in every season he played for us (2008-13).

I think McCarthy has been our player of the season thus far, really anchoring the midfield by providing quality defensive support a well as timely passes to our attackers. I'd take Barry/McCarthy anyday. Felli was overrated in my opinion, though he did have some outstanding performances for us...even if they were few and far between. RM did well to get 27 mill pounds for him...laughing all the way to the bank on that one.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...