IGNORED

Controversial football opinions

Guest Nikica

England won't win the World Cup :o

The Denmark manager summed it up: Good luck - you need it. We were dire last night. Football played at walking pace with 50% of all passes going backwards. Twice in the first half we were on the edge of the opposition penalty area and four passes later the ball was back with Hart.

Rooney was poor. He had three shots at goal which went about 10 yards over the bar.

Guest Nikica

Thanks for all the great posts guys - I will pick out a couple I want to reply to.

Nikica

I was surprised you missed out Andy Carroll from your top ten. :rofl:

Seriously, thought George Best might get a mention, My personal number 1 (I saw him play) was Di Stefano.

Haha. Well it isn't a top ten mate, I was just listing players and it happened to amount to ten :P However, I can see your point. From what I saw Di Stefano looked like a wonderful player - so intelligent, complete and talented. He probably should be ranked up there with Pele and Maradona but as he was before colour TV that probably counts against him, as mental as that seems.

I do know what you are trying to say but at the same time Messi and him are the best two players of my generation. I was watching the City and Barca game and Messi didn't look anything special and I think also that Messi is more reliant on his team mates than Ronaldo.

Messi is a good passer, quick and is good with his feet but when you have Iniesta and Xaxi. (Arguably the two best passing players at the moment) picking out through balls, chipping it over defenders then you are bound to score.

With Ronaldo whenever you see him play he is more going at it alone. Yes he does get the passes but in terms of passing style. The way Barca play, against City they didn't panic on the ball and was patient and it paid off but Messi was nothing special in that game at all.

In my own opinion I think that Ronaldo is a better player than Ronaldo. I have never seen Messi score a 40 yard goal multiple times and manage to get his national team through against Sweden mainly by himself.

Messi is a brilliant player don't get me wrong but being at Barcelona flatters him a lot.

Ronaldo is a brilliant player also but he doesn't work in a team as well as Messi does. Always tries to go at it alone.

Hi mate, Thanks for your comment - as I say I knew my post may be controversial (hence the thread title) and would engender some debate. We could talk about this for hours but - truth be told - I think Messi is a bit overrated in relation to the likes of Maradona as well.

I disagree with you that Ronaldo is less reliant on his team-mates than Messi - many of Messi's best performances have come when Xavi and/or Iniesta haven't been playing too. If anything it's Dani Alves who he links up best with.

Ronaldo's goals versus Sweden were team goals - without the great through balls from Moutinho and Almeida he wouldn't have scored. I feel it's harsh on them to say he won the tie single-handedly.

I do agree though that Messi is more of a team player and Ronaldo more individual. Ultimately we differ on the matter but I appreciate you backing up your views. As I say I don't really like either player - they both seem way too far up their own arses. But both are fantastic players, no question.

Hope to talk again soon mate.

I always thought that too, but someone corrected me once. Apparently the phrase started out like that too:

http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-ico1.htm

For all the attempts to explain "could care less", I personally think the origin is no more than a critical mass of people just not saying "couldn't care less" correctly. Frankly, it makes no sense whatsoever.

Another word that bugs me is irregardless: it's either regardless or irrespective.

Guest Nikica

For all the attempts to explain "could care less", I personally think the origin is no more than a critical mass of people just not saying "couldn't care less" correctly. Frankly, it makes no sense whatsoever.

Another word that bugs me is irregardless: it's either regardless or irrespective.

I sometimes post on a site consisting mainly of North Americans. I asked them once why they say 'could care less' rather than 'couldn't', but nobody really had a satisfactory answer.

I sometimes post on a site consisting mainly of North Americans. I asked them once why they say 'could care less' rather than 'couldn't', but nobody really had a satisfactory answer.

Ooh I agree, this has always annoyed me when watching US movies and TV shows. To say they 'could care less' indicates that they do in fact care by some measurable amount, however small. Us British saying we 'couldn't care less' means we don't care at all, i.e. it's impossible to care any less. I don't understand how Americans can't see that their version doesn't make sense?! Haha

It's very similar in meaning to couldn't give a dam - which was the smallest and most insignificant coin in British India. It was practically worthless, so you couldn't give any less than a dam.

always wondered where that phrase came from!

Seeing as I'm English and not American I'll stick to what we say.

Exactly this. :)

I've noticed the American word "cap-tied" is creeping into British parlance, it means that a player can't change international team allegiance. For example, Morgan Schneiderlin is cap-tied to France. I quite like it, we don't have an equivalent.

Exactly this. :)

I've noticed the American word "cap-tied" is creeping into British parlance, it means that a player can't change international team allegiance. For example, Morgan Schneiderlin is cap-tied to France. I quite like it, we don't have an equivalent.

You appear to be wrong about Schneiderlin - http://www.teamtalk.com/news/2483/9218313/Schneiderlin-drops-England-hint

I thought you could change allegiance as long as you hadn't played for the senior side?

Correct yeah. Even if you've played a friendly for the senior side you still can. Diego Costa has 2 friendly caps for Brazil and is now representing Spain. However the home nations have different rules above and beyond FIFA's 5 year residency rule. Something about 5 years before the age of 18 I think

Edited by Ant1979

Correct yeah. Even if you've played a friendly for the senior side you still can. Diego Costa has 2 friendly caps for Brazil and is now representing Spain. However the home nations have different rules above and beyond FIFA's 5 year residency rule. Something about 5 years before the age of 18 I think

So Louis isn't wrong then?

Edited by Romey 1878

Guest blueboy122

Would like to see that Schnderlin at Everton.

Underrated massively as Lallana and Rodriguez get all the plaudits.

Southampton have got some brilliant little players in thier side.

So Louis isn't wrong then?

I wouldn't want to say Louis is wrong, I'm new ish here ;) haha! He isn't cap tied as he hasn't played a competitive game for the senior side. But he still can't play for England due to home nations rules, we don't accept the FIFA residency rule over here, not currently anyway....

I wouldn't want to say Louis is wrong, I'm new ish here ;) haha! He isn't cap tied as he hasn't played a competitive game for the senior side. But he still can't play for England due to home nations rules, we don't accept the FIFA residency rule over here, not currently anyway....

He's used to being wrong so I wouldn't worry too much :P.

In this specific instance I wasn't joking or wrong. :)

It's the same reason Arteta is ineligible for England. FIFA require players to have the nationality of the nation they want to switch to at the time they played in their first 'official game' (not a friendly) for their original nation (at any level - even youth).

For Schneiderlin to be eligible for England, he would have needed a British passport in 2004 - when he first played for France in an official competition (he played in the qualifying round of the UEFA U17 Championship).

The Diego Costa situation is different, he played in two friendlies for Brazil (not a competition), friendlies mean nothing in terms of tying players down to a nation. Had Costa played in the Olympics - even for one second, he wouldn't have been able to change allegiance to Spain.

In this specific instance I wasn't joking or wrong. :)

Have to say I didn't realise competitive matches at youth level had any bearing on the senior team. I did already make the same point about Costa's Brazil games being friendlies though. And my point about the home nations agreement means that all this is moot, unless a player has been here for 5 years before his 18th birthday (I think?) then it's irrelevant they'll never be eligible for the home nations unless a policy change happens. I stand corrected regarding the youth competetive matches though :)

I would like to see Leon Britton play for Wales. He was born in London to English parents but has been living in Wales for the last 10 years. I would be fine with this if he wanted to represent Wales, don't know if FIFA would allow this as he already has a British passport? Or is that nothing to do with it? Qualifying rules in rugby union are 3 years.

I would like to see Leon Britton play for Wales. He was born in London to English parents but has been living in Wales for the last 10 years. I would be fine with this if he wanted to represent Wales, don't know if FIFA would allow this as he already has a British passport? Or is that nothing to do with it? Qualifying rules in rugby union are 3 years.

FIFA's existing rules allow it, under FIFA's unamended rules it's two years as we (England and Wales in this case) share a common passport.

It's the Home nations agreement that prevents it.

--

Is it controversial that I see this as tokenism ?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tees-26512921

From what I can see on Wikipedia, he made 16 (league) appearances in his career.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Wharton

FIFA's existing rules allow it, under FIFA's unamended rules it's two years as we (England and Wales in this case) share a common passport.It's the Home nations agreement that prevents it.--Is it controversial that I see this as tokenism ?http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tees-26512921From what I can see on Wikipedia, he made 16 (league) appearances in his career.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Wharton

Funnily enough after reading his Wikipedia I clicked on the link of Andrew Watson, who pre-dated him by over a decade and played 3 times for Scotland. Also played for Bootle!

I don't have an issue with memorialising Wharton as I think it's important to remember how far we've come (look how bad things still are in Russia and other leagues), but I do think this Watson chap should be equally remembered

• 4 weeks later...