IGNORED

The beginning of the end?

Matt

Anyone paid attention to what's unfolding in Eastern Europe? Fucking unbelievable...

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-26424738

Putin is a grade A cunt nugget. 21st century Hitler. So disappointed/scared that someone like this can have power. I seriously don't know what to make of all this, it's surreal that this can happen now. Can WW3 really be around the corner?

The EU and US are threatening to hit Moscow with sanctions and travel bans over its intervention in Crimea.

Hilarious.

i know, and meanwhile Russia will wander in, seize control then look west and say "now what bitches"...

Sorry for the melodramatic title but Putin scares the shit out of me and I can see this escalating very, very quickly....

Edited by Matt

He's just another Kim Jong-Un, problem is the Putin ACTUALLY has the army to back him.

It's potentially very scary but I just don't see anything really kicking off.

army and armoury, the latter coupled with his megalomaniac mentality really worries me.

Oh wow, Putin playing the hard man. Gas, wheat, nitrate fertilizer all up, Norway will look to make up the shortfall in gas along with Iran, America and Canada will plant more wheat and Poland will produce more amonium nitrate fertilizer. Anyway he is only looking after Russia's interests in the region is he not?

It's all acting. The major powers already struck a deal. Putin gets strategically important Crimea, with its majority Russian population; the EU gets the rest of Ukraine. Why else would most EU nations feign shock but effectively do nothing, while the US president makes ridiculously weak threats? It will all blow over and be long forgotten by the end of the year. The sad thing about all this is that many proud Ukrainians will get hurt as the deal plays out on the ground.

It's already been cancelled, the Ukraine national team won't be travelling to Cyprus 'according to sources'.

I don't think this would have happened had Ukraine's political party kept Russian as an official language, it was a slap in the face to the Russian speakers in Ukraine, and now it seems to have backfired.

Here is Steven Seagal's take :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAb39HMVAGE

and an Oscars parody:

2C73Pjf.jpg

i don't see much coming of it. how would it become WW3? it would be Europe + America vs. Russia. China wouldn't want to get involved, and the rest of the Asian countries would just stay put shoring up their borders. I doubt South American countries would get involved, and Africa would care less. It would be the West vs. Russia and that's not even a fair fight. The US has the largest military in the world, couple that with England, France, etc. and it would be over before it started.

Russia is a joke, sure Putin is crazy and he's got a big military, but he's barely got a majority approval rating over there (numbers probably fudged too). His own people would probably fight back against him. I just don't see anything coming of this.

Edited by markjazzbassist

It's one of the better solutions, it's better to allow the Crimea region to join Russia voluntary than it be taken by Russian force. It's probably the most amicable agreement under the circumstances.

who says its voluntarily? so far some politicians have said they want to but thats not necessarily reflecting the people. Guess we will find out before the end of the month, but this stinks of corruption...

i hope the rest of ukraine can join the EU and move on. it seems the broad countries that have been made have smaller tribes/clans/people groups that do not wish to be associated with the others. this is most prevalent in the middle east. i wonder if countries as we know them now might be different in 50 to 100 years with more groups breaking off and becoming their own separate little nations.

Guest Nikica

What's going on in the Ukraine is indeed frightening, and I can only echo the posters who are saying that Putin is a mentalist or a 'megalomaniac', as Matt puts it.

I don't think anything will come of it in terms of a world war - Syria worries me more on that front. But yeah, Ukraine is in some state right now.

• 2 weeks later...

It's all acting. The major powers already struck a deal. Putin gets strategically important Crimea, with its majority Russian population; the EU gets the rest of Ukraine. Why else would most EU nations feign shock but effectively do nothing, while the US president makes ridiculously weak threats? It will all blow over and be long forgotten by the end of the year. The sad thing about all this is that many proud Ukrainians will get hurt as the deal plays out on the ground.

Unfortunately, I think I was correct.

The Chinese are laughing at this. As the US and EU alientate Russia, Russia and China will become more linked. And how the fuck are we going to sway policy issues with China when we (the US) owes them billions of dollars and we can't turn to the Russians for political support. And Russia's annexation of Crimea just justifies China's usufruction of Tibet and helps to make a play for their attempts to annex Taiwan. I expect no Taiwanese cries of independence for long while.

And that "analysis" by Steven Segal is precious.

Russia has shown it is back as a major player.

Putin has called the wests bluff on Syria and now Crimea and what do we do? Sweet FA because we know if Russia get going it's WW3 and anyone who thinks China will stay out of it is very naive.

If it wasn't for Russia Assad would be gone and Iran would have been crushed.

Their all fuckin nuts!!!

I can just see the East building major relationships to crush the West!!!

You know, this stuff goes too deep for us to understand. There wont be a ww3 because there is to much of a 'world' trade these days.

The west knows Russia is a nation on steriods and growth hormone...so we dont want to 'fight' it. Instead, we are trying the 'up your arse' route....money!!!

• 3 months later...