IGNORED

Everton Vs Man Utd

Wire_Toffee

i rate hernandez, but he wouldnt fit into our system. he has really quick feet and knows how to finish, but we need a strong, powerful striker who can play upfront on his own and hold the ball up and finish. bony looks like a good shout. is he a african 25 is he?

Bony and Kone (rolls off the tongue) are both from Cote d'Ivoire. Could become an excellent partnership.

Just was able to watch the game on DVR. I can't say anything that hasn't been said, but Alcaraz looked confident at both ends--got his head on the ball for two of our corners even. Colemen and Mirallas, to state the obvious, were pesky and meddlesome. And I'm glad Howard kept a clean sheet. Strong great stuff. Wish Hull City had done better earlier today.

i rate hernandez, but he wouldnt fit into our system. he has really quick feet and knows how to finish, but we need a strong, powerful striker who can play upfront on his own and hold the ball up and finish. bony looks like a good shout. is he a african 25 is he?

Would love Hernandez also, would add a lot to our game and would fit nicely in how many good balls we hit in the box from our awesome fullbacks :D

Good game though, very satisfying to see use come out with a solid performance and win. We need to keep doing this until the end of the season and hope Arsenal slip.

COYB

I thought that we were pretty poor in the first half and we didn’t actually execute our game plan as well as we were capable of. It seems strange to say it because we scored both of our goals in the first and got nothing in the second half, but I thought we were massively better in the second half with United being the better side in the first half. Again a strange thing to say when they didn’t even a shot on target in that first half! Our tactics weren’t any different in either half; we just put them into practice better in the second half, IMO.

In the first half I felt that we sat far too deep and invited too much pressure on to ourselves, and failed to push our from our penalty area quick enough. It didn’t help that we couldn’t really hit them on the break as often as we’d have liked because we used the ball sloppily and too slowly at times. Also, too few of our players were pressurising the United players when they had the ball so that we could create opportunities to break on them. It was very frustrating to watch. That being said our second goal did come from a great break away attack, but this was more of a sign of things to come than it being the norm of the half. And of course we scored a penalty before that meaning we went in at half time 2 up. It was smash and grab though.

In the second half though there was a marked difference. I didn’t feel that we sat as deep and we cleared out of our box very quickly. We got in their faces more when they were on the ball and closed down the space brilliantly, choking them of any room to manoeuvre. And we broke on them almost at will and to devastating effect. Mirallas and Coleman, in particular, ripped them to shreds. They couldn’t live with our pace and power, they looked out on their feet whenever they were asked to chase back and that was every couple of minutes. We didn’t have a lot of the ball but when we did have it we used it intelligently and barely wasted possession. The only disappointment was that we didn’t add to our goal tally and get what the performance deserved. Winning by 3 or 4 would have been great and what we deserved.

Yesterday was a master class in tactical awareness by Martinez and shows how flexible he can be. His philosophy is to control the ball but he put his principles to one side to go with the tactics that would suit that game – stifle their creativity and then hit them with pace because they don’t have a lot of fast players to combat it.

Howard – As has often been the case this season he didn’t have a lot to do but still made a couple of outstanding saves.

Coleman – What. A. Performance. I don’t know where he finds the energy to put in that sort of performance. His effort yesterday was no different in the first minute than the last minute. He was bombing up and down that wing all game long and Buttner must have been thinking he was still asleep and having a nightmare. Seamus destroyed him and he’s probably suffering from PTSD right now. Pretty much every time we broke on them it started with Coleman, and he was devastating in his attacking play and grabbed himself an assist for Mirallas’ goal. It wasn’t just his attacking play though; he was terrier-like in coming back to defend as well.

Stones – Pure gold. In the first half he was one of the few who were putting United players under pressure when in possession, pushing them away from our penalty area. At one point he chased Rooney right up to the half way line with the ball. This came into greater effect in the second half when he had others backing him up. As usual he was cool as ice with the ball, bringing it out of our box, spreading the play.

Distin – Probably wasn’t as noticeable as Stones but his performance was no less valuable or solid. Where Stones put in a classy shift Distin did most of the dirty work – heading the ball away etc.

Baines – He wasn’t as effective in attack for much of the game because Barkley was pretty useless in front of him, tbh. So he couldn’t really get anything going. He did slot away another penalty though, and looked far brighter once Osman came on and he could get some link-up play going.

Mirallas – Star of the show for me. People often criticise his work rate and how much effort he puts in but yesterday he put in every bit of effort he possibly could. Attacking he was a menace; pacy, direct and full of skill. He’s also often a bit thick in possession, but not yesterday – he used the ball well when he had it; sometimes electing to go alone and other times bringing Coleman into play. They made quite the partnership and tore Kagawa and Buttner to pieces. Notably it was Coleman that supplied the ball for him to smash home brilliantly. He wasn’t just content to say his job was done by being an attacking threat though; he was relentless in his defensive duties also. My MOTM.

McCarthy – Just how good was it to have him back in the side? Another absolutely brilliant performance. He’s a one-man pack of wolves; that’s how it must have felt for the United attackers yesterday. Soon as they’d get the ball he was there, nibbling away at them, dogging their every step. He’s getting much better at striding away from our penalty area with the ball to start attacks as well.

Barry – I think he was as happy to have McCarthy back as the rest of us were. Yesterday he didn’t need to be the legs all the time, he just sat and mopped up the ball when it was in his area and could pick and choose when he came forward with the ball.

Barkley – Very poor performance from him. He seemed confused as to what his role was tbh – whether to go forward or sit in, drift inside or stay out wide. He was also very frustrating when in possession – giving it away easily or just not moving the ball fast enough.

Naismith – Other than some poor finishing it was a typical, hard working performance from him. He doesn’t have much pace but I thought he was great at bringing the ball forward to get us going. For example, in the build up to Mirallas’ goal. He was another that used the ball well, IMO. Yes, sometimes perhaps didn’t pick the right player to pass to but he helped us keep possession by at least finding a blue shirt most of the time.

Lukaku – I’ve noticed people complaining about his performance yesterday but I didn’t think he did too badly at all. Yes, his touch was often rubbish and sometimes he didn’t use his strength as well as he perhaps could have, but he won a fair few headers to flick on for Naismith and at other times he did use his strength well. He also drifted out wide well to provide an extra man to link-up with Mirallas and Coleman on the right, and Baines and Osman on the left. I was pleased with what he showed.

never seen lukaku win so many headers in one match..must have been taking lessons from naismith

crackin write up as per sir!

also about mirallas it was lovely to see how much that goal meant to him..turned to us at the park end and never seen him look so delighted..kissed the badge and that which tends to annoy me sometimes but he's been here long enough now to be allowed!

I have to congratulate Stretford and Rooney. If it's true that Moyes is getting sacked, they've played a blinder with his contract this year. Be interesting to see how Rooney gets on with Van Gall if that's who they choose cos there is no way that Van Persie will shift if that's the case.

Had a tenner on Bainesy first goal... Fuckin love him!!

What a game tho, back to our best and in Coleman we've defo got the best RB in the league, McCarthy brilliant once again, roll on Southampton!

I had £10 as Baines the first goal goal in a derby a couple of seasons back, he scored and I went up to the counter to get my money...........they said own goals don't count :crying:

Naismith can't finish? Lol.

His finishing was shite today but come on when he's played in one on one he's a top finisher

Ok, fair enough, I should have made my point clearer. He's capable of the best (clever runs, nice oriented controls, clinical finishes) and the worst (blasting it high/wide), and I think he tries hard but he's inconsistent, not a reliable goal source as the no. 9, but a great player to have in the squad. He's much better than at the beginning of the season though, when he didn't look confident and he misplaced easy passes.

He has shown major improvement this season, deserving a position in the starting XI, and allowing RM to play different formations since he's efficiently contributing in the role of second striker behind Lukaku.

Barkley – Very poor performance from him. He seemed confused as to what his role was tbh – whether to go forward or sit in, drift inside or stay out wide. He was also very frustrating when in possession – giving it away easily or just not moving the ball fast enough.

I'd like to suggest that Barkley was out on the left to bait MU... Moyes and the media talk him up, so he's out there on the Left, with the defenders focusing on him - look at how much space Coleman had on the right, time and time again! Clever bit of tactics/mind games from Martinez.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27102314

Sorry, Tim, but you're the one who's wrong.

"We have brilliant fans, but that was unfair on him.

"He was the second coming, the messiah 12 months ago, and I don't think as Evertonians we should forget that."

I think Howard needs to remember that the paying fans have a right to voice their opinion in the only forum they can - the stadium.

Whats all this messiah nonsense?!

There is one thing Evertonians haven't forgot its this...

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/424177/Neville-Southall-blasts-Man-United-boss-David-Moyes-over-Baines-and-Fellaini-pursuit