IGNORED

Armchair supporter

rubecula

I started going to games in the 1960's (Somewhere I still have all the rosettes of the World Cup teams ...MEH) It was intermittant visits depending on pocket money and such. I did have a season ticket (still got it somewhere) for Bullens Stand ... 1966

After I left the RAF in 1977 I didn't miss a single game in over 10 years. In fact I think I missed only about 6 or 7 games over the next 30 years.

So now I am no longer able to travel to the games for certain reasons I have become a little bit of an opportune supporter. BUT I still support the blues and I always will. Born a Blue Die A Blue.

SO I am not overly impressed by certain people (not on here thankfully) who in disparaging manner call me an Armchair Supporter. It may be true but it is the way it is said not what is said.

RANT OVER nothing to see here please move along the terrace.

Here here, I live in south Wales and whilst its only 3 1/2 hours away I have a job where I work most weekends, plus having a three and a half year old boy tends to sap my funds! But I do everything possible when I can to follow a game online or TV be it highlights or the whole match.I'd love to be a season ticket holder but its just not possible, I've been to a few games in goodison and that'll will never stop when possible! COYB'S!!!!

There's people who travel from the very bottom of the country to every single game, home and away! I take my hat off to them.

I live on the Wirral. About a 15 minute drive to Goodison. I'm a season ticket holder but I only go to 2 or 3 aways per season so I'm pretty much half and half.

Travelling to every game home and away is a huge commitment and an expensive one. At the end of the day we are all blues but what really puts a b in the bonnet is when people who don't go to any games tell you to be a "proper fan".

If you're putting money into the club then you're a proper fan. Whether it be merchandise or going the game. If you do neither I think that's an armchair fan!

Edited by MiguelCotto

Couldn't be classified a couch fan as can't sit still long enough to take in a program and would only get too irritated to even view what was being shown.

This sounds like a familiar area of debate though. "I'm more of a supporter than you because I'm a season ticket holder in the Upper Bullens and attend every week, while you never go to see the team or order some club merchandise from the on-line store, living in Plymouth etc"

Say you're a long standing fan of 35 years, own various merchandise, and can easily run off a list of honors and achievements and have a good understanding of ex-players and managers, seems good enough maybe.

If I had to get a rebate for the money I have spent on Everton then I would be pretty happy and could enjoy a luxury holiday. Am I an armchair fan? at the moment I am - responsibilities mean I have to be.

Example:- yesterday I was sat in the conservatory with my son on my knee watching the game (he was wearing his full Everton baby grow and bib), when Lukaku scored the second I had to celebrate with a fist pump as I couldn't scream the house down. Before the game I had to get up early to do things to give me the time to just be able to watch the game.

In time I will be able to see more live matches, but have to go the odd one for the time being.

On a more pressing note, we do need to make the match more accessible to the fans, when money isnt the option it comes down to parking, transport and time spent etc. I also live on the wirral, technically a stadium in the city centre (or as close to it) would mean I could get to the game in 25 minutes using the train or car. For this reason, I am up for the stadium share.

Common sense needs to prevail, we have our identity, Goodison is the place for match days, Finch farm is where the team and manager spend 80% of their working time. If we shared a stadium the council would be able to support it, there would just be one location to sort out high turnover rail system etc, parking facilities etc.

Seems strange to disparage another fan's commitment...I live in the USA and lots of other fans live even further away (e.g., Thailand). I make a point to watch each game, either live or DVR'd, and next fall I'm going to make the journey over to Goodison to catch a few games over a few weeks. But holding a season ticket or going regularly to the matches is geographically out of the question. Does that make me more of an armchair supporter than others...perhaps? But I'm late in supporting Everton relative to many here I'm certain I'm likely to be labeled something like a newbie or whatever. Labels...humans and their fucking labels.

Seems strange to disparage another fan's commitment...I live in the USA and lots of other fans live even further away (e.g., Thailand). I make a point to watch each game, either live or DVR'd, and next fall I'm going to make the journey over to Goodison to catch a few games over a few weeks. But holding a season ticket or going regularly to the matches is geographically out of the question. Does that make me more of an armchair supporter than others...perhaps? But I'm late in supporting Everton relative to many here I'm certain I'm likely to be labeled something like a newbie or whatever. Labels...humans and their fucking labels.

Likewise, I live in the USA. However, I do plan on taking a trip to watch Everton and Ipswich Town (where my mate's from) this December, so hopefully I'll see some of you guys there! COYB.

They could very well both be in the EPL by that time if they can sort out their play-off inconsistencies.

Definitely. I know they're sitting in 7th/8th and only a couple of points behind the playoffs... I would love to seem them get promoted just because I know a couple of people from Ipswich Town.

Definitely. I know they're sitting in 7th/8th and only a couple of points behind the playoffs... I would love to seem them get promoted just because I know a couple of people from Ipswich Town.

Always had a soft spot for them by my own admittance. Put together a stellar squad between 1976 - 81 that always challenged for honors and Robert Robson was a colossus of a man, both as manager and general individual. The game is poorer with his passing. Always a friendly club side with top hospitality and the legendary chairman John Cobbold made countless scenes and outrageous appearances. - (I'd like all you good people to go home and have a good fuck then we can celebrate another success in another 17 years time) - Cobbold to the parents of the players after the Ipswich youth set-up had won a significant trophy one night.

Probably where any animosity or ridicule for Norwich City originates.

Fuck 'em.

spot on. In a similar situation to you Rubes, but I don't consider myself an armchair fan considering I'm reading Everton when I wake up, through my breaks, and the evenings, buying merc when I can, games when I can. The only difference between myself and the people who say I'm not a proper supporter because I don't go the game is geography. And that has no impact on my love for the club.

Man City game next month is going to cost me £84 tickets, £30 hotel (got a cheap room at Travelodge), £80 petrol & parking plus a healthy spend in the club shop.

So I reckon that's £250 for the one game.....plus £200 odd for the Southampton game in December (less because we didn't stay overnight and got a seat on the coach) and totting up this seasons online spends at the club shop comes to £600+ for the season. Expensive business being an armchair fan!

Regarding 'armchair fans'. When you have been an Everton supporter for 70 years, obviously are a pensioner and live 250 miles away, no one can claim you are not a genuine supporter because you only see the televised games. Besides, I lost count of the number of sixpences I paid to go in the boys' pen in the 1940's! :happy: