IGNORED

John Brooks

Is he expected to start for the States?

Doubt it. Two of Geoff Cameron (Stoke,) Omar Gonzalez (MLS) and Matt Besler (MLS) will get the job. If Brooks plays this tournament, it's because the US got hit with an injury or two or because they're already eliminated two games in and Klinsmann wants to get him the experience. He's a strong, strong favorite for a starting role in 2018, however.

Brooks is raw but you can't teach his size and individual assets. He'd be a good buy short-term for cups and Europe and as EPL depth and could push for a starting role in the near future.

Doubt it. Two of Geoff Cameron (Stoke,) Omar Gonzalez (MLS) and Matt Besler (MLS) will get the job. If Brooks plays this tournament, it's because the US got hit with an injury or two or because they're already eliminated two games in and Klinsmann wants to get him the experience. He's a strong, strong favorite for a starting role in 2018, however.

Brooks is raw but you can't teach his size and individual assets. He'd be a good buy short-term for cups and Europe and as EPL depth and could push for a starting role in the near future.

If he cant get a game ahead of Geoff Cameron then that doesn't exactly fill me with confidence!

If he cant get a game ahead of Geoff Cameron then that doesn't exactly fill me with confidence!

All he needs is coaching and playing time, in my opinion. Also, I don't think Cameron is a terrible central defender. I certainly like him more there than at right back, which Stoke somehow think him to be.

I always smile when I hear his name, if ever a footballer sounded like a brick layer it's him. In fact any footballers called "Geoff" make me laugh, Geoff Horsfield, even Geoff Hurst - if i'm off the loo I will often say "Just going for a quick Geoff Hurst".

I think Cameron is a great defender. One of Stoke's best players considering he's playing RB for them when he's naturally a CB.

If Brooks' decision-making improves, he'll have a great career. He only just turned 21 and has been starting for Hertha Berlin the last two seasons.

Edited by TonkaRoost

Don't know why that would be. After Michael Bradley and Tim Howard, he's the US's best player in their own end of the field. Keep in mind that he's been playing out of position at Stoke. The US has a SHITLOAD of question marks on their roster, but Cameron is the one reliable constant.

Don't know why that would be. After Michael Bradley and Tim Howard, he's the US's best player in their own end of the field. Keep in mind that he's been playing out of position at Stoke. The US has a SHITLOAD of question marks on their roster, but Cameron is the one reliable constant.

To be honest that doesn't fill me with confidence either

To be honest that doesn't fill me with confidence either

If we were to go in for Hummels, at least a few on this board would moan... Like we've all said, Brooks is young and raw, but talented. Not sure if I'd have him here, but I feel like he'll go on to be a good player for somebody in the future.

I'd take Cameron at right back anyday of the week over Glenn Johnson on the English team. I think you just have the American bias. Cameron is quality, brooks is as well.

Just because I don't rate Michael Bradley and Cameron you think I'm biased ????

Ok tell me they would replace in the Everton team?

Oh and for the record I don't rate Glen Johnson either

Im bias, there all shit. Still got nightmares over Joe max Moore. Scared they would pick it up and throw it in the box.

I would take Bradley over Barry.

I'd take Brooks as well, but I wouldn't expect him to come in and replace Distin immediately, but if he continues to grow at the rate he is now, I believe he would be the preferred choice next year.

Other than that, there aren't any other Americans that I'd take right now. I would prob consider Mix Diskerud as competition/backup for Barkley and Johannson would be a good striker, but we need a world class striker right now, not just a could squad player.

Michael Bradley would without a doubt be a starter for Everton and most EPL teams. The guy was a key figure for AS Roma for a number of years. Cameron would no doubt be higher than Stones on the depth chart (for now, Stones clearly will overtake him in a couple years).

I don't think there's any bias towards American players far from it Howard Donovan Radosavljevic and McBride albeit for a short period all have done well here and in this league as well as others for other clubs.

I don't think Bradley would walk into most teams here if he was as good as some think I doubt he'd be playing for Toronto at such an age the only plus he has over Barry is age but like for like there's no or very little comparison, Stones is not far off a decade younger with one season under his belt and he's already a better player for me decision making and so on granted as that comes with age but to say he would no doubt be higher is silly.

There's a definite defensive bias towards the American players from a few not all but as said there's been many over the years some have been top players so that excuse doesn't wash with me it's more a case that 90% simply are not good enough but I do think in a decade or two your national side could be a force.

There's a definite defensive bias towards the American players from a few not all but as said there's been many over the years some have been top players so that excuse doesn't wash with me it's more a case that 90% simply are not good enough but I do think in a decade or two your national side could be a force.

Ultimately, sports succeed in the US when they are broadcast daily by the major TV channels. It's no accident that the four principal sports - American football, baseball, basketball, and ice hockey - all consist of a few minutes of action followed by a few minutes for commercials. Real football cannot be played like that, so the advertisers will stay away, so they will never be the mainstay of broadcast sports. Unless this changes (and I don't see this happening any time soon), the US will never make it as a major footballing power. More and more talented players will join the European leagues, which is a positive for the long-term, but that doesn't change the underlying problem. Once again, it's all about money.

I don't think Bradley would walk into most teams here if he was as good as some think I doubt he'd be playing for Toronto at such an age

He played for Borussia Monchengladbach, Chievo Verona, and AS Roma. He went to Toronto because he got injured at Roma and Planjic took his spot while he was out for a couple months. He had a 9m transfer fee and his wages are 6.5m a year, that's why he's at Toronto. Same reason Hulk plays in Russia, MONEY.

Bradley would be a starter for us, he could do the McCarthy or Barry (which he did at Roma, Verona, BM) or even the Barkley role (which he plays with the US team). Barkley has more upside on his day, but Bradley is extremely consistent (albeit older) and his work rate is the same as McCarthy.

Edited by markjazzbassist

If it's financial then fair play can't blame anyone for wanting more we all do it but the main point was I don't think he's half as good as you make him out to be he's not a bad player and I do actually think he's decent but the way some talk about him you'd think he was a world beater which he's far from

His previous teams bar one good season at Roma in a pretty dire league doesn't count for much they are hardly all top European sides you could say the same of countless players that have come here from better sides than those mentioned and not made the grade it's a totally different ball game literally.

Without getting into a big debate I think a few people got their backs up using bias as an excuse to try and justify a players ability when others question it which is nonsense