IGNORED

John Brooks

Everton scouted Bradley fairly extensively and decided he wasnt good enough and we have moved on since then so I really doubt he would walk into our team now

Ever consider that it might be down to transfer fee?

Roma didn't want to let him go but they got a good offer for him from Toronto, and I didn't want him to go there either, but they offered ridiculous wages.

I'm pretty sure Bradley was on a higher salary at Roma than Fellaini was with us.

Guest blueboy122

Cant believe Landon didn't get in that squad.

I think that's Jugens ego to be honest. Laying his authority out.

Looks as if he might end up with egg on his face with Altidore pulling up.

Seen enough of this Brookes... Not to promising

Brooks has looked good to me. He had one shaky clearance, but he recovered well, and has been solid since (knock on wood).

Exactly what I was thinking.

The shaky start is understandable too - he's 21, only has 5 caps and is making his first appearance at a World Cup. Give him a chance to get settled like!

Maybe this is why he was over-awed by it?

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jun/17/john-brooks-world-cup-ghana-usa-dream

The story was almost too good to be true. John Brooks, a 21-year-old centre-back who had never played in an official game for the USA, coming off the bench to score an 86th-minute winner in their World Cup opener against Ghana on Monday night. So improbable was it all that ESPN’s commentator, Ian Darke, promptly exclaimed: “He couldn’t even have dreamt it”.

Except, Brooks had done exactly that. Two days earlier, to be precise.

“Yeah, it’s unbelievable,” said Brooks after the game. “I said I had a dream, I told some team-mates that I dreamed that I had scored in the 80th minute and we won the game. Now it [turned out to be] the 86th minute and we won the game, so that was good.”

As an American, I found this topic to be rather humorous. First, most of you shite on Brooks, saying that he wouldn't be worth bringing in to the team, then he scores the winner against Ghana, and you are all singing his praises. Just because he's American, doesn't mean he can't perform at the top level. I mean, come on, he helped the USA do what England couldn't (too soon?). Though the opposition was weaker, so too is the US side.

You can't teach physical prowess, and this Brooks lad has it at a strong and powerful 6'4". Wouldn't mind seeing him as a direct replacement for distin in a couple years time. That being said, Jagielka looks much better playing in an Everton shirt than and England one. Shame though, would've liked to see the Three Lions progress out of the group...guess all my hopes lie with the US

As an American, I found this topic to be rather humorous. First, most of you shite on Brooks, saying that he wouldn't be worth bringing in to the team, then he scores the winner against Ghana, and you are all singing his praises. Just because he's American, doesn't mean he can't perform at the top level. I mean, come on, he helped the USA do what England couldn't (too soon?). Though the opposition was weaker, so too is the US side.

You can't teach physical prowess, and this Brooks lad has it at a strong and powerful 6'4". Wouldn't mind seeing him as a direct replacement for distin in a couple years time. That being said, Jagielka looks much better playing in an Everton shirt than and England one. Shame though, would've liked to see the Three Lions progress out of the group...guess all my hopes lie with the US

Still dont think Brooks would get anywhere near our starting XI

Edited by duncanmckenzieismagic

Still dont think Brooks would get anywhere near our starting XI

Not now, but no one is saying that either.

He's still young(just turned 21 before WC), and can be considered a replacement for Distin, because he's a left-footed CB with pace and power on a 6'4" frame. He already starts for Hertha Berlin in the Bundesliga, who aren't too shabby.

Edited by TonkaRoost

Not sure where the praises came from, post goal? I can see people admiring the celebration, but not much on the lad's general performance?

Guest blueboy122

Scored header and didn't do much wrong... No one is shouting from the roof tops me included. That's just because he's american though if he was Bulgarian I would want him. Tofffeetalk being an anti American place and all that.

Scored header and didn't do much wrong... No one is shouting from the roof tops me included. That's just because he's american though if he was Bulgarian I would want him. Tofffeetalk being an anti American place and all that.

Make no mistake, John Brooks is a German who is a US international his father is American. He's only ever really been to the US on vacations and for training camps. Born and raised in Berlin. He's never really left. If he wasn't associated with the US, and he was thought of solely as a young, up and coming German center back, people would have very different feelings about him.

The way people talk about Martins Indi, for instance, when he's just as unproven as Brooks at this stage in his career, is a case in point. Martins Indi looked pretty much shite and slow the other day, by the way.