IGNORED

Everton and Barca

I'm certain Barca appreciate our assistance with Gerry, but I don't think its going to be so easy to get the players in. The fact that they took Gerry a little bit early for the first team suggests we may get very raw players. We will see, either way its positive, they just better leave our manager alone.

I'm certain Barca appreciate our assistance with Gerry, but I don't think its going to be so easy to get the players in. The fact that they took Gerry a little bit early for the first team suggests we may get very raw players. We will see, either way its positive, they just better leave our manager alone.

amen!

The publicity alone helps the club, nevermind some of their youngsters.

Even if we never get another Barcelona player again, the testimony from them is itself tremendous. Any time we want to sign a young player, it's going to be a pretty convincing bit that Roberto can put in front of players and agents. "We can develop you into the player you want to be. Check out how Lukaku and Stones have done. Hell, fucking Barcelona trusts us so much with that that they handpicked us as their priority destination for all their kids." What an endorsement.

Guest Nikica

According to some of the Everton fans here, Barca have been boring as fuck to watch over the last few years. Some of these same posters are happy about the link to Barca. Bit strange...

Guest Nikica

man this reads as such a sulky post...you're better than that dude

Perhaps I am sulking, and it was a childish way to phrase it, but surely you see the point? How can people not find Barcelona impressive to watch on one hand, yet be ecstastic about signing their players on the other? Unless people think Barca are brilliantly talented but boring.

Edited by Nikica

Guest Nikica

I think they can be boring to watch, same with Spain. But have top quality individuals. I think we witnessed tika taka being removed from the helm this season and last night.

The thing is that their style in this tournament has been more direct than in the last two tournaments - yet they've been pumped. Perhaps the patient possession game was correct all along? I mean they aren't really playing 'tiki taka' now.

As for Barca, in big games they have destroyed the likes of Arsenal, Man U, Milan, and most notably RM, all the while playing scintillating football.

I'm not sure what people's problem with them is. if I was to say I have always found Man U boring (I have all through the PL era, even in their treble season) I'd be attacked by PL fans. But apparently it's acceptable to call Barcelona boring? Surely anyone can see that Barca's football 2008-2011 was several levels of entertainment above anything the Mancs ever came up with? Barca did destroy their best team of the PL era after all, in 2009. Then did it again to a shitter version a couple of years later.

I just don't see how anyone can call them boring. I've played football with many different people and I haven't heard one of them call Barcelona boring when the subject of the Catalans was brought up. It just isn't the sort of thing you hear from people who play football, and/or are good at football. But I was just making a point, so not fair to take this off-topic. We can discuss it at some stage it in a new thread if you like.

Edited by Nikica

Perhaps I am sulking, and it was a childish way to phrase it, but surely you see the point? How can people not find Barcelona impressive to watch on one hand, yet be ecstastic about signing their players on the other? Unless people think Barca are brilliantly talented but boring.

barcelona are still barcelona...being associated with a club that size with that following...whether or not people think barcelona are boring they are still in the top 3 biggest clubs in the world..and if they feel they can benefit from bein associated with us then what does that say to other clubs? nothin to do with what people view their style of play as

Guest Nikica

barcelona are still barcelona...being associated with a club that size with that following...whether or not people think barcelona are boring they are still in the top 3 biggest clubs in the world..and if they feel they can benefit from bein associated with us then what does that say to other clubs? nothin to do with what people view their style of play as

That's fair enough. But style of football is very important to football fans, and they want their club to play attractive football. Surely if La Masia breeds boring players then that's what Everton can expect from them if they come over?

But yeah, you're right that a link to a club that size can only benefit regardless of Barca's supposed aesthetic qualities (or lack thereof). I just think Barca have been brilliant to watch over the last five years or so (and even previously with Ronaldinho) and can't see why people don't enjoy watching them. I think they're bored of their superiority over that period rather than their style of play. But as I say, this isn't the thread for it.

Playing football at 3pm so gonna go shower. Take care of yourself.

Anyone see Spain last night? Cancel this deal quick!!

Only messing, don't everybody get upset, maybe we can loan that Sanchez. With a bit of work on the training pitch we could give him a game or two.

In all seriousness, I find Barca talented but very boring. But I'm happy about this.

Edited by StevO

Guest Nikica

Did you find them boring in thw two CL Finals, the hammering of Arsenal, or the 5-0 versus RM? You can say they're only occasional performances but they've heavily beaten many teams. Even when they didn't score many goals, their sheer superiority was enthralling to watch (I mean against teams who are their global equals such as the aforementioned clubs, not versus lesser teams).

I'm trying to be more tolerant about it but I just don't see how anyone could find their pass and move and pressing boring. It was like watching a chess match at times.

Of course, according to Fuentes they were all doped up anyway. But let's work on the assumption that they weren't.

Yes I found it boring, as I don't like watching chess matches!!!

I find any 5-0 boring, it's not a contest. Fair play to them for being superior, but seeing a team keep the ball to the extent the opposition just sit on the edge of their own box and wait is not my idea of fun.

I've no problem with you enjoying it, knock yourself out, but it's not for me. I'd rather watch Real Madrid counter attack with the pace of Ronaldo and Bale than Barca and their Tika taka.

Don't know about the doping, not that I see that working in their favour. It's not like they were a team of huge size and strength, or with lightening speed. Unless the doping was to keep them focused rather than a physical thing.

Edited by StevO

I find any 5-0 boring, it's not a contest. Fair play to them for being superior, but seeing a team keep the ball to the extent the opposition just sit on the edge of their own box and wait is not my idea of fun.

I've no problem with you enjoying it, knock yourself out, but it's not for me. I'd rather watch Real Madrid counter attack with the pace of Ronaldo and Bale than Barca and their Tika taka.

Don't know about the doping, not that I see that working in their favour. It's not like they were a team of huge size and strength, or with lightening speed. Unless the doping was to keep them focused rather than a physical thing.

amen :worship[1]:

though Id never get bored of Everton wining 5-0 :P

Guest Nikica

By chess match I just meant that I often enjoy a tactical game of football, where one team is trying to break down another.

I generally agree that one-sided games aren't great, but the football Barca played against Man U in the finals and that night against RM was breathtaking for me. Some of the through balls Messi played for Villa's goals for example were very nice in that 5-0, for example. It's one of the best performances by any club side in years, imo. I watched the game live and I've rewatched it a few times as I have it on my external hard disk.

I enjoy counter-attacking too, but the argument can be made that it's an easier style to play in the sense that players are moving into vacated space. Barcelona were trying to break down tight, compact, compressed defences. That can be said to be harder to do as it's more difficult to work in less space. Not saying that I'm right about that, but it seems a fair argument. Of course CA football is skilled and difficult in the sense of breaking at speed - it's probably more exciting and athletically pleasing (see Colombia's goal today), but I find the possession game more attractive. I think it's fair to make a distinction between exciting and attractive.

The alleged doping is blood transfusions to improve players' stamina, endurance, injury recovery etc. It would obviously help with first touch too as players wouldn't tire as quickly, and it would vastly help their pressing game.

I was being a dildo earlier but I feel this post is relatively fair and balanced.

Edited by Nikica

not sure counter attacking is easier, as the players on the break have to go from a defensive / anticipation mentality to attack. And it has to be split second to work well.

ask Haf, 1st touch can never be improved, youre born with it so no amount of Messi stem-cells or Ronaldo haemoglobin is going to help :P

Guest Nikica

not sure counter attacking is easier, as the players on the break have to go from a defensive / anticipation mentality to attack. And it has to be split second to work well.

ask Haf, 1st touch can never be improved, youre born with it so no amount of Messi stem-cells or Ronaldo haemoglobin is going to help :P

Yes, transitioning from defence to attack very quickly does require a high degree of skill, and risk. I just feel that when there's lots of vacated space it's almost like an imbalance has been created - the other team was attacking and hence is vulnerable and not in their defensive shape. But yeah, there are strengths and weaknesses to all styles.

Ha, you couldn't resist. SteveO and hafnia make good points on both sides of the discussion. I tend to agree that touch can be improved though.

Btw, doping isn't so much about improving first touch, it's moreso about keeping it at a consistent level as you don't tire as quickly so you are less likely to make mistakes which you wouldn't when fresh. What it's really supposed to be beneficial for though is the high pressing game Barca employed.

It might well be a bollocks conspiracy theory but I'm remaining open about it all.

Edited by Nikica

I think they can be boring to watch, same with Spain. But have top quality individuals. I think we witnessed tika taka being removed from the helm this season and last night.

The crap that Barça and Spain play nowadays is far from tiki taka. Tiki taka was posession based attacking football, with speed and ability. Yes, they carry the ball up the pitch slowly, but then in the final 3rd you're supposed to go all-in with overlapping fullbacks, timed runs and first touch combinations.

From 2012 they have been playing posession control football, keeping the ball in order to prevent the opposition from scoring. You don't see first touch combinations and plays, and as a matter of fact, Spain was passing to Casillas and then Casillas hoofed it away. And in the tiki taka version the players defended high up on the pitch and pressed immediately after losing posession.

Far from tiki taka, and truly boring to watch. The defence, for Barça and Spain, had not done the high press at all, lately they were just jogging around.

The will to score, first touch combinations, the quick attacks and the high press up are the basic treats of the system, and no team do this lately.

Edited by Kant

Guest Nikica

The crap that Barça and Spain play nowadays is far from tiki taka. Tiki taka was posession based attacking football, with speed and ability. Yes, they carry the ball up the pitch slowly, but then in the final 3rd you're supposed to go all-in with overlapping fullbacks, timed runs and first touch combinations.

From 2012 they have been playing posession control football, keeping the ball in order to prevent the opposition from scoring. You don't see first touch combinations and plays, and as a matter of fact, Spain was passing to Casillas and then Casillas hoofed it away. And in the tiki taka version the players defended high up on the pitch and pressed immediately after losing posession.

Far from tiki taka, and truly boring to watch. The defence, for Barça and Spain, had not done the high press at all, lately they were just jogging around.

The will to score, first touch combinations, the quick attacks and the high press up are the basic treats of the system, and no team do this lately.

This is fair actually, Post 2012 they've not pressed or played at speed like they did 2008-2012. Furthermore, in this tournament they've played more direct than they have since Euro 2008 - playing quick passes through to Costa etc. They haven't really been playing possession football in this tournament.