IGNORED

Press conference called for "significant club announcement" - 4pm

I don't see how that isn't breaking news. Let's not pretend it was that they gave Joel Robles or Steven Naismith two more years. They gave a big extension the biggest u21 talent that England has produced in a long time, and one that was involved in heavy media speculation regarding a transfer. How is that NOT news? Should they have just not announced it?

Yeah, through a press release, like everyone else in the world.

A quick search on YouTube will show a press conference for Ronaldo extending his contract, John Terry with his, and a load of American sports stars with theirs. I don't think this is a one of in the world of sport.

Brett, were you the guy in the clown suit with the cake at the march a few years back? I hate the board and don't think they do a great job, but you're even worse than Haf!!! Not everything is about Kenwright, this might have been Robertos doing. He is a showman too.

I also think it was an excuse to get Ross infront of the media, but with Roberto there to hold his hand. Just a thought anyway.

Spot on.

Also, we're not going to make the 'marquee' signings without holding on to our best. Players like Lukaku want to play with Barkley not replace him.

Anyway...

@RodneyMarsh10: My sources tell me EFC will make another major announcement in the next 24 hours .....

Edit... It seems Marsh is on the wind up on the back of the reaction to yesterday. I expect there will be big (Rom) news imminently though.

Edited by c1982

I think Roberto would have made a suggestion with it as a motivational tool to the other youngsters. There maybe a statement to other clubs especially in light of the Soton situation but I think it might be more of a 'look where you could be in a couple of years time' message. You only have to listen to Ross' comments about Rooney to know what impact it can have.

Great news. Enjoyed the conference too, he was obviously nervous but came accross as a humble lad and very proud to be playing for his club. I've no issue with £65k a week if true, puts him just slightly under the top earners at the club I imagine, which is valid due to his current status and potential.

Great news. Enjoyed the conference too, he was obviously nervous but came accross as a humble lad and very proud to be playing for his club. I've no issue with £65k a week if true, puts him just slightly under the top earners at the club I imagine, which is valid due to his current status and potential.

If true, it effectively means he won't be signing another contract with us because we won't be able to afford to offer him a new one.

That is if we don't become regular Champions League qualifiers, of course. The key word being regular, not just the odd qualification.

If true, it effectively means he won't be signing another contract with us because we won't be able to afford to offer him a new one.

That is if we don't become regular Champions League qualifiers, of course. The key word being regular, not just the odd qualification.

Agreed. But that scenario has been on the cards ever since he became the media's 'next big England hope'. In an ideal world, this time next year we'll be planning the Champions League campaign and polishing the Europa League and FA Cup :)

Worst case scenario is the funds aren't there (no CL) when his contract needs to be renewed in 2 years' time. Here's hoping for the first option...

It will be interesting to see how much we actually spend. All the contract extensions will be eating into the money available. If we do sign Rom then I'm sure he'll be at the top end of the wage bracket as well.

Very true. Just think, last year we were only contributing to Rom's and Barry's wages, plus paying Barkley a LOT less, also paying Baines and Coleman less too. This new TV money is spent already really. Need to get into that Champions League, and as Romey says, regularly not occasionally! Loving the ambition

Or he's an exception to the rule & puts playing for HIS club before money. Romantic notion I know but after Rooney, someone needs to restore my faith inhumanity.

I though this as well. This is what is still making me edgy whether this Lukaku done deal is true or not!

It could be down to a number of things really mate

No deal has been made, a minor detail which drew it out longer than expected to tie the two in together or the club if the Lukaku deal is true might deem both worthy of having their own press conference's?

Same as usual all ifs and maybes and as frustrating as it is I suppose we will have to wait and see.....

No deal has been made, a minor detail which drew it out longer than expected to tie the two in together or the club if the Lukaku deal is true might deem both worthy of having their own press conference's?

Same as usual all ifs and maybes and as frustrating as it is I suppose we will have to wait and see.....

It would have been cooler to have them next to each other holding up shirts with number 9 and number 10 though. :crying:

To be fair Barkley had signed I'm sure a word in his ear and he wouldn't of minded waiting until this was done. Just seems strange for the 2 to be within 48 hours to be separated. Unless Rom woke up this morning and told his agent to tell us he has made is mind up and he wanted to sign or Chelsea only agreed to it late last night or early today after previously giving no indication it was going to happen any time soon.

It would have been cooler to have them next to each other holding up shirts with number 9 and number 10 though. :crying:

Barkley keeping number twenty, you can get it printed for free on the away shirt if you order quickly.

free_barkley_printing_browse.jpg

http://evertondirect.evertonfc.com/stores/everton/products/product_browse.aspx?category|category_root|10055=football&category|cat_10055|48918=barkley+offer&portal=SVO9BMRP&CMP=EMC-SVO9BMRP&hq_e=el&hq_m=2922586&hq_l=5&hq_v=0e5860e758

I have to laugh at all the mega twats who slated everton last season saying we only loaned only for them to be going back next season and we were somehow conning the PL rules.

They've well and truly had their eye wiped!

The only one we haven't re-signed is the one we had zero chance of signing permanently.

All the more convinced that this was in place but for some reason couldn't sort it in time for the announcement yesterday. Or, it was deliberately held back to today so both got the recognition deserved

Either way, you moaners have egg on your face now :P

No egg on my face pal, you deal with the cards dealt at that time. I would love to be psycic like u Matt and know what was coming next.