IGNORED

Predict our result - 2014/2015 season

Cornish Steve

Note how the Forum Average won in all categories. The longer the game went on, the more certain it was becoming that the Forum Average would win out. This proves a theory known as the "Wisdom of Crowds." For example, if you see that game at a fair where you must estimate the number of marbles in a jar, glance at all the entries, add them up, find the average, and make that your prediction. Almost always, you will win.

Apparently, a few decade ago, the navy was trying to find the location of a wrecked submarine somewhere in the Atlantic. They asked about ten experts to make their predictions. When they looked at the location representing the average of the predicted coordinates, the submarine was found less than a mile away. It's a surprising but predictable phenomenon.

So, this is my cunning plan for next year's inter-forum challenge. Let's all make our predictions in a forum that can be viewed by members only. I'll calculate the average prediction. Then we'll adjust our individual predictions so they are closer to the average. If we do that, I feel confident we'll win. Any takers? :)

Of course, my problem is that, next season, everyone will wait until one minute before kickoff to make their predictions - so they can choose the average of everyone else's.!!!

Ignoring "TT average" I came fourth in every table; the worst place in the world because you get no medal :(.

So, this is my cunning plan for next year's inter-forum challenge. Let's all make our predictions in a forum that can be viewed by members only. I'll calculate the average prediction. Then we'll adjust our individual predictions so they are closer to the average. If we do that, I feel confident we'll win. Any takers? :)

Sounds like a plan; but will the organisers not get suspicious if we all put in the same prediction (plus the fact Daib is a member so he may well see what we're up to)? Be an interesting experiment though.

I just about clung on!

How many 10 pointers were there over the season?

For 10 points, you needed the correct score and the correct first Everton scorer

You scored 10 away to Man United

Deacs, TonkaRoost, and I all scored 10 at home to West Ham

MillwallForever and you scored 10 away to Crystal Palace

I scored 10 at home to Burnley.

For 8 points, you needed the correct score and predict no Everton scorer

Deacs scored 8 away to Chelsea

Deacs and TonkaRoost scored 8 away to Arsenal

Chalkpie and Rusty scored 8 away to Stoke.

I can't upload a file, but I can send you my final spreadsheet with all the weekly results.

Ignoring "TT average" I came fourth in every table; the worst place in the world because you get no medal :(.

Sounds like a plan; but will the organisers not get suspicious if we all put in the same prediction (plus the fact Daib is a member so he may well see what we're up to)? Be an interesting experiment though.

What I'm suggesting is not that we all submit the same answer (the average) but that we adjust our predictions to be closer to the average. That should be enough.

I'm mid table obscurity.

Stupid fucking game anyway!!

On a seeious note, thanks Steve, appreciate the time and effort you put into it, it must be time consuming so it's appreciated by I'm sure everyone.

Most of it is automated in a spreadsheet. It takes me about 20 minutes to then sort and adjust the formatting. Not a big deal.

For 10 points, you needed the correct score and the correct first Everton scorer

You scored 10 away to Man United

Deacs, TonkaRoost, and I all scored 10 at home to West Ham

MillwallForever and you scored 10 away to Crystal Palace

I scored 10 at home to Burnley.

For 8 points, you needed the correct score and predict no Everton scorer

Deacs scored 8 away to Chelsea

Deacs and TonkaRoost scored 8 away to Arsenal

Chalkpie and Rusty scored 8 away to Stoke.

I can't upload a file, but I can send you my final spreadsheet with all the weekly results.

Nah no need to send me anything, Steve, I was just curious how many times a 10 pointer had been scored by anyone because it's so difficult. I hadn't realised I'd done it twice, thought it was just the once!