IGNORED

Opener - Leicester

Finn balor

Guest rusty747

We are way too nice and not streetwise. We need to develop a hard, arrogant streak so that when we are a goal up with only a few minutes to play we know how to see the game out. I still dont really know if we had 3 or 4 at the back for the last 10 minutes or so but it was a very disappointing way to lose 2 points and we will never come close to winning anything unless or until we get rid of our soft underbelly.

Won 3..5k on accumulator today and made the mistake of telling my misses. Will watch game in the morning but even the draw today sorry to say cannot stop this buzzing feeling.

Not exactly clear on the amount there milesey but I'm guessing you mean £3.500 rather that £3.50 :D. Let us know where your local is and we'll all join you tomorrow to drown our sorrows. On you of course :P.

Good on ya!

I thought Baines and Pienaar played really well. Pienaar should've been subbed around the 60th along with Naismith.

Naisy did well to force the issue and give us the lead, but he just can't play a possession game. Mirallas and Coleman were the right subs to make. But, I really feel Besic should've come on for Naisy to give us one more player in midfield and, especially, one who can run with the ball. Once Pienaar faded we were far too static. And, Naismith, for all the good runs he makes without the ball, never once picked up his head to make a positive pass in the final third. Lots of aimless balls from him that gifted Palace with time and possession.

Bit harsh, I thought of all our players Naismith was the least wasteful and pretty much gave nothing away.

If he would have had the ball at his feet with a few minutes to go it would have been am intelligent keep the ball in our possession pass and they could have never attacked.

He would have been the last o would have taken off. Lukaku, mcgeady, Barry, and Pienaar had all lost their legs and would have been before him.

Bit harsh, I thought of all our players Naismith was the least wasteful and pretty much gave nothing away.

If he would have had the ball at his feet with a few minutes to go it would have been am intelligent keep the ball in our possession pass and they could have never attacked.

He would have been the last o would have taken off. Lukaku, mcgeady, Barry, and Pienaar had all lost their legs and would have been before him.

Naismith was the most wasteful player out there actually by quite a margin in terms of pass percentage, just 70%. And just 61% in the second half. Lukaku had a 78% percentage in the second half, Pienaar 87%.

There wasn't really any positives.

Mirallas is the only player who looks like he can do something. The starting 11 today would scrape wins rather than smash them.

Were you watching the same game? We completely outplayed them in the first half, and there were plenty of positives. Mirallas played just a short time, had little impact, and was involved in the give-away goal. He needed more rest.

Naismith was the most wasteful player out there actually by quite a margin in terms of pass percentage, just 70%. And just 61% in the second half. Lukaku had a 78% percentage in the second half, Pienaar 87%.

That's because they don't class balls bouncing of shins and knees as passes....

Come on is there anyone that watched that match that actually thought lukaku was less wasteful than Naismith?.... Really?

That's because they don't class balls bouncing of shins and knees as passes....

Come on is there anyone that watched that match that actually thought lukaku was less wasteful than Naismith?.... Really?

Just saying that perception isn't everything. I didn't expect Naismith to have been so sloppy with his passing just by watching the game for example.

If you're to believe WhoScored Naismith had 4 turnovers btw, Lukaku just 2, but he was dispossessed twice as well. (the passing stats are from Squawka btw)

Edited by Steve_E

Think Barry had a poor game to be honest. Naismith for me. Baines and Pienaar could have had it as well based on the first half, but they dropped off immensely.

I agree with you here Steve. Unfortunately bringing Peanuts off changed the momentum, Mcgeady lost the ball a lot at the end of the game but that could have been fatigue as he put a good shift in at the start. Barry was struggling at the end! And Mirrallas lost the ball just after coming on and walked back which is incredibly frustrating.

Think I've been through all the posts, but haven't seen anyone comment on Lukaku. I thought he was hugely disappointing today. He didn't create any chances that I recall...didn't look to have much energy or pace. I think we need more out of him going forward. Of course being young as he is, you'd expect some growing pains. Can't blame him for the draw--that was a team effort.

Not exactly clear on the amount there milesey but I'm guessing you mean £3.500 rather that £3.50 :D. Let us know where your local is and we'll all join you tomorrow to drown our sorrows. On you of course :P.

Good on ya!

Cheers Mike,

Of course I will get you a beer but you'll have to be quick as my misses is finding a home for it here there and everywhere.

Yes it was the larger amount. Got very lucky.

Thought the draw was the fair result in the end. Lukaku was woeful IMO and the lack of match practice was evident.

Naismith and Mcgeady both took their goals well but that was about all. Baines and PIenaar showed glimpses of old not enough though.

Predicted a 1-1 before the game so not really shocked at the result. 2 massive monster home games up next.

A massive step up all over the pitch is needed.

Told ya not to worry about friendlies.

Spoke a bit too soon! I was really hoping you'd be proven right following my concerns after preseason.

I think we should have reinforced the midfield earlier. Taken off Lukaku for Besic or something.

Spot on, Barry was non-existent and we needed more stability in the midfield. Plus, he should've been sent off for another booking.

So disappointed with how we played in the second half. It was terrible and we got what we deserved. Defensively we do not look up to it and it's going to cost us many goals this season. I'd say I hope it gets sorted out but it was no different to last season, so we'll have to hope we get lucky and the opposition miss chances we gift to them or that we can score more than them.

I also think Bobby dropped the ball big time in regards to substitutions. Not really in terms of who he brought on or off, but when he made the subs - he left them far too late. It was clear from about the 65th minute that we needed to make changes because we just weren't on it and needed something different to spark us into life.

Ironic that people were screaming for substitutions and when they finally happened we conceded. Just saying :(.

The substitutions were wrong and at the wrong time, as Mark and Steve said. I'll come to that

1st half we were very good, some beautiful football. Second half was reminiscent of the Paderborn game; couldn't complete a pass, positioning was.... well, there was none. The second goal was a perfect example and nothing to do with Lukaku. I thought we went to 3 at the back with 2 wing backs when Coleman coming on, which shouldve been more of a 523

Around the 60th minute we started to seize up. I wouldve brought Besic, Atsu and Mirallas on for Pienaar (who looked tired but played well), Lukaku (who was shite) and McGeady (tired and started giving the ball away a lot in the second half), leaving 4 at the back and gone 433. Enough pace to press but enough stability to counter their pressure.

A special mention for Lukaku and Barry. Its not secret that I rate the lad highly, but he was abysmal yesterday. Utterly crap. Its just as well we had Naismith doing the positioning work and getting a goal (fantastic finish too). Barry looked like he couldn't be arsed and from a senior playerwas unacceptable.

Martinez has to hold his hands up here, he got it wrong. Nothing to do with lacking squad depth, just didnt recognize the change in the game soon enough and then made the wrong decisions.

Still, 1 point from what was always going to be a tough game isn't bad. It just seems that way because our football in the 1st half merited 3 points.

Edited by Matt

Poznan! City do it too!

Realised City did it but wondered why Leicester did. How very original of them :rolleyes:.

Bloody daft for me, when we score I want to be watching the celebration, not staring at the arse of the fan behind me (actually having said that it all depends on who's sitting behind me :P).

Realised City did it but wondered why Leicester did. How very original of them :rolleyes:.

Bloody daft for me, when we score I want to be watching the celebration, not staring at the arse of the fan behind me (actually having said that it all depends on who's sitting behind me :P).

There's a girl who sits behind me 2 rows back who sits with her Dad. She's gorgeous. Late 30s single as well.

Wish I wasn't married, she's a darling and goes the game :(

We were quite clearly playing four at the back. The ball was just on the left which means that Baines steps out and the rest of the backline shifts over. That's not playing three at the back, that's how every team that plays four at the back defends. Whether the other three defenders remain on one line or whether they play two lines depends though. If we defend with 1 a bit higher and 2 in behind, that doesn't mean we're playing a two man defense though.

Thank fuck for that! I'm actually amazed by some of the responses!

I really don't think he needed to though. Especially not when that involves abandoning an opposition player completely! He should've stayed with his man and let Jags handle his man, if Jags couldn't manage it then that's on him.

Decision making is something that will come as he gets older but it let him down today.

It's not about whose fault it is its about trying to stop a goal. Stones came in to stop the goal because Jags got caught out before making a great challenge. It was just unfortunate that it broke straight to Woods. Some things you can help others you can't. If stones had got the block on after Jags had missed the challenge we would be praising him.

In terms of what went wrong in that second half, it was our defensive intensity. First half we stopped them playing. We turned the ball over early, we kept the pressure on and when Leicester did get into our half, we countered quickly and effectively. Second half we gave them time on the ball, we allowed them deep into our half, we didnt hunt in groups like we were before and in turn that meant our attacking intensity dropped too because we weren't winning the ball high up the pitch and catching them out.

I don't know whether it's tactic from Martinez or whether the players subconsciously do it. In the end fresh legs wouldn't have made much difference and they didn't unless the player coming on had added intensity which Besic may have done.

All in all it was very frustrating and given how good we were in the first half, it makes it even worse.