IGNORED

Scottish Independence

Matt

I'm all for it. Let them go. If they wanna break off, they can fuck off and we'll take back EVERYTHING that they are using to sustain their economy.

Leave them with nothing.

They want to break away and keep all the good things, that are supported by the UK government. Well tough. You want out. Kick them to the kirb.

I'm all for it. Let them go. If they wanna break off, they can fuck off and we'll take back EVERYTHING that they are using to sustain their economy.

Leave them with nothing.

They want to break away and keep all the good things, that are supported by the UK government. Well tough. You want out. Kick them to the kirb.

I really dont know how the economy is going to work. I dont know how they plan to split "British" businesses, even simple things like the Union Flag will no longer exist as we know them. The whole thing is just weird but I understand the desire to govern their own country.

Just a weird situation

I'd be surprised if they went independent. It'll be 60 / 40 in favour of "No", in my opinion.

I was reading a while ago that Quebec in Canada had a similar referendum in 95, it ended 50.58%/49.42% in favour of remaining as part of Canada. Talk about close.

I'd be surprised if they went independent. It'll be 60 / 40 in favour of "No", in my opinion.

I was reading a while ago that Quebec in Canada had a similar referendum in 95, it ended 50.58%/49.42% in favour of remaining as part of Canada. Talk about close.

Agree with Louis, it's not going to happen.

Just got back from hospital where I had a camera whizzing around my innards. Fortunately, it wasn't a box Brownie!

(For younger posters ask your Grandad what a box Brownie was)

Had that John, not fun; but it's relevance to the question of Scottish independence is a bit tenuous I'd have thought :huh:.

Leave them with nothing.

My thoughts exactly. I think it's ridiculous that I fund Scottish students with my taxes yet I'm lumbered in debt.

Interesting thread as an American who doesn't fully understand the political system in Great Britain. Seems crazy to me but the one Scottish guy I know wants it.

It is simple really We have a national government with separate sub divisions for Wales and Scotland. The Leader of the Scottish parliament is a power hungry monster. BUT if the Scots want him to be their new Stalin then good luck to them.

Some Scots want to be British with some self rule. (Which they already have) some want to be Independent totally. Odd then that their parliament is all Scottish as is the Welsh. But England has a mix from all the nations.

Personally I would prefer to stay together but I don't have a vote on it.

Cornwall, as a distinct Celtic nation, has its own parliament too, although not many are aware of that fact. Indeed, in some aspects of life, the stannary parliament takes precedence over Westminster. Truth be told, though, it's meaningless and a relic of history. I am pleased, however, that the European parliament recently recognized the Cornish as a distinct race and culture. A recent report, based on the genetic mapping of the British Isles, reveals that the Cornish and the Welsh - more so than the Scots - are the most genetically distinct of the peoples living on the island of Great Britain. Amazingly, people living on opposite banks of the river Tamar (which separates Cornwall from England) are quite different genetically.

Another little known fact that might interest those living in the US: President Clinton always referred to the prime minister of Great Britain, whereas the second President Bush always referred to the prime minister of the United Kingdom. The country is actually "The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland"; however, Ireland lays claim to Northern Ireland. Since President Clinton sought the Irish vote in America, he stripped Northern Ireland from the name of the country. (There is no such country as Great Britain; it's a geographic term that refers to the largest island in the British Isles.) Subtle, eh?

Cornwall, as a distinct Celtic nation, has its own parliament too, although not many are aware of that fact. Indeed, in some aspects of life, the stannary parliament takes precedence over Westminster. Truth be told, though, it's meaningless and a relic of history. I am pleased, however, that the European parliament recently recognized the Cornish as a distinct race and culture. A recent report, based on the genetic mapping of the British Isles, reveals that the Cornish and the Welsh - more so than the Scots - are the most genetically distinct of the peoples living on the island of Great Britain. Amazingly, people living on opposite banks of the river Tamar (which separates Cornwall from England) are quite different genetically.

Another little known fact that might interest those living in the US: President Clinton always referred to the prime minister of Great Britain, whereas the second President Bush always referred to the prime minister of the United Kingdom. The country is actually "The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland"; however, Ireland lays claim to Northern Ireland. Since President Clinton sought the Irish vote in America, he stripped Northern Ireland from the name of the country. (There is no such country as Great Britain; it's a geographic term that refers to the largest island in the British Isles.) Subtle, eh?

Small point, but Ireland gave up their formal claim on NI in the Good Friday Agreement. Constitution now reads that they express, "a desire for the peaceful political unification of the island subject to the consent of the people of Northern Ireland."

• 2 weeks later...

Come on, Scotland! Show the world that the Celtic people will no longer be bullied by politicians and civil servants in England. I have to say that you can smell the panic in London from here.

So what will happen to my passport once Scotland becomes independent? Will I be a citizen of the Slightly United Kingdom (SUK), the DisUnited Kingdom (DUK), or the Formerly United Kingdom?

Will the queen need a passport and visa to visit Balmoral? Does that mean we Cornish can demand the same of Prince Charles when he tries to cross the Tamar? Will the Duke of Edinburgh become the Duke of Shepherd's Bush? It's going to be rather entertaining.

Roll on Friday. I'm sick of hearing about it now. :)

I agree.

Still think it'll be a "no" but the "yes" team have definitely got them rattled; wheeling out the Westminster "big guns" was probably counter productive, if I was Scottish I'd see it as patronising and be more inclined to vote yes.

But get it over with please (though I loved Steve's previous post).

wheeling out the Westminster "big guns" was probably counter productive, if I was Scottish I'd see it as patronising and be more inclined to vote yes.

Very much agree with this. At the last minute, all parties in Westminster start promising greater devolution, various financial goodies, and think the Scottish are stupid enough to believe they're genuine. If they were, they would have been suggested years ago. It's attempted bribery, pure and simple.

Schoolboy error; the stuff from Scotland is whisky, whiskey comes from Ireland and the US :rolleyes:.

I never knew that!

Very much agree with this. At the last minute, all parties in Westminster start promising greater devolution, various financial goodies, and think the Scottish are stupid enough to believe they're genuine. If they were, they would have been suggested years ago. It's attempted bribery, pure and simple.

Yeh I agree, it is ridiculous. Politicians are such slimey bastards. Stick to your principals and stand by them, don't start buckling once the pressure gets turned up.

I would find it quite amusing if they voted yes because the fall out is going to be funny. Alex Sammond is an idiot and the thought of him being the main man in charge of organising the split is hilarious.