IGNORED

Swansea (Away) League Cup

bluenosetoffee

We went with our full squad? Is he having a laugh?

"Monk was delighted with what he described as a professional performance against a side managed by former Swansea boss Roberto Martinez. "I know Roberto very well and he wants to win every single game he plays in," added Monk. "They came here with their full squad and made the changes that they did to strengthen their team. But we did very well. We did our changes and thankfully we're through to the next round."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29338822

We went with our full squad? Is he having a laugh?

"Monk was delighted with what he described as a professional performance against a side managed by former Swansea boss Roberto Martinez. "I know Roberto very well and he wants to win every single game he plays in," added Monk. "They came here with their full squad and made the changes that they did to strengthen their team. But we did very well. We did our changes and thankfully we're through to the next round."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29338822

I think he means the whole team travelled mate as in no one was left behind to rest .

I still don't understand the angst. This is the League Cup. The League Cup! The competition for which Bradford City reached the final a couple of years back. When playing in the league, the FA Cup, and in Europe, very few teams care a wit about the League Cup. We put out mostly a B team to play away against Swansea's mostly A team. What, for crying out loud, is the big deal?

I still don't understand the angst. This is the League Cup. The League Cup! The competition for which Bradford City reached the final a couple of years back. When playing in the league, the FA Cup, and in Europe, very few teams care a wit about the League Cup. We put out mostly a B team to play away against Swansea's mostly A team. What, for crying out loud, is the big deal?

Because we got twatted. In what planet do you think it's acceptable to go and get beat 3-0 and play as shit as we did last night?

It's only the league cup? It was probably the easiest route we have to Europe this year and it's actually a trophy. I would have loved us to win it, some silverware to parade, a trip to Wembley to actually win something. To just dismiss it as "who cares it's only the league cup" is ridiculous. Would you still feel that way if that was a semi final last night?

We need to want to win every game to when we pull those blue shirts on we want to play with pride and passion and desire. That team had 7 or 8 full internationals in it last night and our squad should have the depth and quality to go down their last night and get a result not capitulate and not give a fuck.

It's ignorant to think we're too big a club to bother trying in it. Truth of the matter is most of our fans would bite your hand off if they were offered a top 8 finish, shit FA Cup and Europa group stage knock out ansd winning the league cup rather than a quarter final FA Cup last 16 Europa and 6th in the league or something similar.

We should be going out to win that cup every year and give the fans the success they crave any way we can!

Because we got twatted. In what planet do you think it's acceptable to go and get beat 3-0 and play as shit as we did last night?

Or as bad as United played against MK Dons? Or how half the other BPL teams played against lower league teams? It's all a matter of priorities, and the League Cup is on the bottom of the totem pole.

It's only the league cup? It was probably the easiest route we have to Europe this year.

We don't want to stand still. Where is the ambition in winning the League Cup only so we once again play in the Europa League - oh, and even have to play in the qualifiers? The goal this season, IMO, is to win the EL.

We need to want to win every game to when we pull those blue shirts on we want to play with pride and passion and desire. That team had 7 or 8 full internationals in it last night and our squad should have the depth and quality to go down their last night and get a result not capitulate and not give a fuck.

That just doesn't happen - unless you're by far the best team in the league and have the deepest squad. You have to prioritize. How would you feel if Oviedo, for example, threw all that pride and passion into a challenge that broke his other leg? In such games, you play squad members with the goal of eking out a win. If you lose, no big whoop.

It's ignorant to think we're too big a club to bother trying in it. Truth of the matter is most of our fans would bite your hand off if they were offered a top 8 finish, shit FA Cup and Europa group stage knock out ansd winning the league cup rather than a quarter final FA Cup last 16 Europa and 6th in the league or something similar.

Then I guess I'm just ignorant.

We should be going out to win that cup every year and give the fans the success they crave any way we can!

At the expense of bigger prizes, you'd rather achieve just a little less than last year? I don't agree. We should prioritize, and that's just what we did. Everton 4-1 Wolfsburg. That's the result that mattered.

Responses embedded above - and edited since I kant spill.

Edited by Cornish Steve

We got embarrassed, again, and lost. I want to win everything every time. Instead of a confidence boosting game, its another kick in the balls. That is the big deal.

We got embarrassed, again, and lost. I want to win everything every time. Instead of a confidence boosting game, its another kick in the balls. That is the big deal.

He doesn't even support Everton that is why he will never get it. When it doesn't hurt if a team loses it's easy to look at stats, figures and dismiss a result like that. Same with lines like " United got beat by MK Dons" who's arsed about that? I and moat true Evertonians wont give a fuck about that or Liverpool losing they care about Everton.

I'd love a chance to go to Wembley and see us win that cup, love it. It's not "standing still" nor is it having no ambition it's having pride and wanting to win no matter what.

That's what it's about.

I hope we aren't going down the road where some posters just support the manager and not the club.

Cornish, I enjoy your posts and I know you came on here as you are a fan of Martinez, I am myself - but unfortunately managers have an uncanny ability to get lost within themselves. Moyes did, Martinez seems to have done so a little.

If they are not performing then they can sort it or get out. At this moment in time I have been disappointed with Martinez. I like positivity not stupidity - Martinez has been stupid with his comments, they insult the intelligence of every fan who wants to see us compete.

I do not pin my colours to the mast - Everton is what I support, not the components within and that means RM, Kenwright, Eto, Barkley. If they aren't contributing I'm not gonna look at what good they have done or what good they say, I look at what they are doing and contributing.

dare I mention liverpool they took it quite seriously and they are in the champions league, the difference is rodgers knew they needed a win before the derby match.

Don't think stumbling over the line against a below strength Championship side (six changes from their week-end game) will give them a massive confidence boost tbh, just highlights their mediocrity for me.

He doesn't even support Everton that is why he will never get it..

And I love you too. :) why would I waste so much time here if I didn't support Everton?

You are a complete jerk sometimes - as well as being unrealistic. How many people have posted here over the last several weeks staying that the league cup is the lowest of our priorities?

And I love you too. :) why would I waste so much time here if I didn't support Everton?

You are a complete jerk sometimes - as well as being unrealistic. How many people have posted here over the last several weeks staying that the league cup is the lowest of our priorities?

And you're a complete knob head most of the time but we all have our crosses to bear. You don't get it Steve and you never will. Alls you do is post facts and figures to justify us losing or playing badly. Saying things like Man U got knocked out of the league cup so it's no big deal for us (i know you never said exactly that but implied it) is just fucking stupid. Nobody's arsed about United getting knocked out, yes we all have a chuckle about it but it has no softening affect on us getting knocked out whatsoever.

You don't get the angst because you don't understand what it feels like to hurt after a defeat like that (or any defeat for that matter) because you're not really bothered if we win or lose, not in a way a true fan is because you followed us because of Martinez nothing else (that's if what I've read posted here is true like) so the fans who travelled 600 miles round trip to watch us, do you think they weren't arsed we got knocked out? Reading posts on here, seems to me lots of posters were devastated after that defeat. It doesn't matter what competition it is we want to win every match we play and thAt piece of shit performance on Tuesday was not good enough and to just dismiss it because it was the League Cup is ignorant. Liverpool, City, Chelsea, Spurs all won, they all played a reserve team and were good enough to get through so why shouldn't our fans expect too and more so be bitterly disappointed when we go out like we did Tuesday. No fight, no passion, no quality no nothing just shiteness!!

Of course we need to prioritise but the Wolfsburg game wasn't the important one they are ALL important. We wont make 4th or better we almost certainly wont win the Europa the FA Cup is a big ask so this competition was a good chance to finally get some silverware, a chance for the younger generation to enjoy a bit of success and more importantly get the team winning trophies again to finally win something and create a sense of belief in our club. I'm not suggesting for one minute I expect us to win every game, I've been going the match for 30 odd years Steve I know how it works but I expect us to try and win when we go on the pitch and not capitulate . Everyone saying we have the strongest squad since 85 well our second string got completely embarrassed by Swanseas second string and THAT is not good enough.

I could go on for hours Steve trying to explain it to you but it would be pointless because you clearly have no idea what it's like to support Everton and feel hurt when we lose.

I'd love us to win the league cup because we've never won the thing! Or anything for 20 years!

When I seen that line up though, it was clear we weren't going for it. Not enough match fitness in that line up.

Rightly or wrongly, it's clearly been put down the pecking order. This season anyway.

they were playing a championship side and I thought there team was much stronger than our team.

The first part. That's what I said.

The second part. They were playing a much weaker side than we were so maybe that LFC XI (which will bear little resemblance to the team they put out on Saturday) looked stronger than the XI we put out (which will bear little resemblance to the team we put out on Saturday). It's a moot point but largely irrelevant to the derby imo.