Real Salt Lake

New York Red Bulls

New York City

LA Galaxy

Columbus Crew

Seattle Sounders

One in Philadelphia that I don't remember the name of

New England likewise

I know if you named the rest most would sound familiar but that's it off the top of my head.

Are there still one or two in Canada?

Montreal something

Vancouver Whitecaps sounds right too.

Mike

Real Salt Lake

New York Red Bulls

New York City

LA Galaxy

Columbus Crew

Seattle Sounders

New England likewise

I know if you named the rest most would sound familiar but that's it off the top of my head.

Montreal something

I'm impressed you were able to name that many! :worship[1]:

I can name all of them, from 1996 to 2015. NASL and USL Pro too but I would get them mixed up. I couldn't really tell you many PDL teams or their conference names though.

I'm not so good on the players, I think I'd only know half of the US MNT and the ex England-based players.

Real Salt Lake

New York Red Bulls

New York City

LA Galaxy

Columbus Crew

Seattle Sounders

New England likewise

Montreal something

I know all of them, but don't think I could have named them without some serious thought! I get mixed up with the NFL and Collegeball teams :lol:

I do get MLS coverage in the morning over here now though, its great having 12 hours of football :)

Hey, I've lived in the US for 28+ years, and I don't think I could have named more than two MLS teams. They just aren't well known.

PS - I read the thread before posting, so now I know some of the teams. Before reading, though, I knew there were teams in NY and LA, but didn't know their names. I would have then just named the big cities: Dallas, Boston, San Francisco, Miami, Chicago, .... I don't believe Atlanta has a team. Ah, but there is a team in Denver, because my son lives there and has mentioned them.

Edited by Cornish Steve

Could only name NYRB and LA Galaxy off the top of my head before looking at this thread. Heard plenty of them in past, but the two mentioned are the only memorable ones for me.

Edit: Though I'm Australian, not European, so my answers aren't terribly relevant for your initial post .

Edited by Vranny

Guest millwallforever

MLS....isn't that a Chinese manufacturer of cheap tablet PCs?

Or Martin Luther Singh....that Punjabi bloke?

Edited by millwallforever

he's trying to raise funds for a stadium. miami is a terrible sports city and previous football teams there have failed. it's a bad idea if you ask me.

Why is that?

Dolphins seem to do OK in the NFL (though not so much since Dan Marinio maybe).

Big retirement community possibly, place where people go to die. We have several of those on the coast here; can't imagine Sidmouth FC getting big crowds for example.

Why is that?

Dolphins seem to do OK in the NFL (though not so much since Dan Marinio maybe).

Big retirement community possibly, place where people go to die. We have several of those on the coast here; can't imagine Sidmouth FC getting big crowds for example.

retirement people don't go to matches, they stay in their homes and pinch their pennies. florida is a MASSIVE tourist destination, people go there for the beaches not sports. the people who live there are more interested in nightlife (the miami cocaine and strippers, and rappers stereotype) than sports. there is a massive latino population there that would go, but on their salaries i don't know if they could afford the tickets.

the dolphins aren't well attended, neither are the miami marlins, neither are tampa bay teams (bucs, rays, lightinging). florida is about the beach not sports. just like how las vegas doesn't do sports, because it's all about gambling and the locals are their for work, most aren't from there (transients) which is the same with florida. florida is mostly transplants from up north so they are NY fans.

he's trying to raise funds for a stadium. miami is a terrible sports city and previous football teams there have failed. it's a bad idea if you ask me.

But it failed for traditional American sports. There's a huge Hispanic population (it is mostly a Spanish-speaking city after all), so football may do better.

PS - I don't see that it has much to do with snowbirds or retirees. They tend to have homes farther up the coast, not in Miami. It's more the fact that people from Latin America just don't like American football, baseball, ice hockey, or basketball.

Edited by Cornish Steve

But it failed for traditional American sports. There's a huge Hispanic population (it is mostly a Spanish-speaking city after all), so football may do better.

PS - I don't see that it has much to do with snowbirds or retirees. They tend to have homes farther up the coast, not in Miami. It's more the fact that people from Latin America just don't like American football, baseball, ice hockey, or basketball.

yes but let's be honest steve. the latino population can't afford tickets. they barely attended Chivas USA in LA and the whole team was mexican (maybe 2 white guys) and they did signage and everything in spanish!!!

i understand where you're coming from, but the Latinos root for their respective countries. My Mexican co-worker roots for Mexico and Chicharito (was a Man U fan, now a REal fan), he could care less about MLS. My honduran co-worker roots for Honduras and doesn't care about MLS. I have many other Latino friends that know their respective countries, root for their players and the clubs they play for, and probably couldn't even name a single MLS team. The latinos don't really care about MLS, hence why I believe Miami is a bad move.

I think MLS should initiate promotion and relegation with NASL and become a real football league where the teams who suck get penalized to go to the lower league. It will never happen because America is a corporate greedy bastard and the owners would never agree to it, but I can dream. That's one of the things i ADMIRE most about UEFA clubs, promotion/relegation. Beautiful system and great concept. MLS has enough teams and cities, it needs to get better players and academies.

Miami is a terrible sports town and sports fans in Miami don't even defend it.

MLS is improving in attendance and quality but obviously has a long way to go. The scheduling drives me crazy--they play at random hours during the week and weekend.

At this point I don't support at team though I live in DC, but I do watch a fair amount to see how our internationals are playing.

That said, if you are in England or Europe and you are watching MLS, you must be bored or easily entertained because the quality compared to the EPL is very low. (Though improving)