IGNORED

Luke Garbutt to Liverpool

Oviedo should start if we lose Baines. He is better than Garbutt

I don't think that there is much in it at the moment but Garbutt has the potential to be far better than Oviedo and the only way he will reach that potential is by playing regular football. I think he could be as good as John Stones so I would rather see him given a go

Oviedo and Garbutt are much younger, Baines is coming towards the end of his career now - I don't see him going on to still be playing at 34/35. So it makes sense to plan for the future - i.e. look more towards Garbutt and Oviedo. Far too often we, as fans, still think of players being the player they were 4 or 5 years ago and think we should keep players based on that. Cahill was a perfect example of that. I suppose it's a bit of sentimentality. I have none of that so I'd let players go, or relegate them to back-up, without a second thought. I'm cold-hearted :P.

Edited by Romey 1878

Oviedo and Garbutt are much longer, Baines is coming towards the end of his career now - I don't see him going on to still be playing at 34/35. So it makes sense to plan for the future - i.e. look more towards Garbutt and Oviedo. Far too often we, as fans, still think of players being the player they were 4 or 5 years ago and think we should keep players based on that. Cahill was a perfect example of that. I suppose it's a bit of sentimentality. I have none of that so I'd let players go, or relegate them to back-up, without a second thought. I'm cold-hearted :P.

The trouble is Baines is head and shoulders above Garbutt and Oviedo .

I honestly think Baines is just as good now as he was 3 or 4 years ago its just that other teams are more aware of his threat and so setup to stop him, for me Baines is still the best LB in the Premiership so why sell unless a ridiculous offer came in?

The trouble is Baines is head and shoulders above Garbutt and Oviedo .

I honestly think Baines is just as good now as he was 3 or 4 years ago its just that other teams are more aware of his threat and so setup to stop him, for me Baines is still the best LB in the Premiership so why sell unless a ridiculous offer came in?

I'd gladly take the pain of having a lesser player grow into the role (I think he'll be as good as Baines eventually), knowing that we could have him playing there for the next 10 years, rather than playing Baines and Garbutt leaving to play elsewhere.

I don't agree with your second paragraph. Not to say Baines is now shite or anything like that! It's probably a mixture of his decline starting and being shut down, like you say.

I'd gladly take the pain of having a lesser player grow into the role (I think he'll be as good as Baines eventually), knowing that we could have him playing there for the next 10 years, rather than playing Baines and Garbutt leaving to play elsewhere.

I don't agree with your second paragraph. Not to say Baines is now shite or anything like that! It's probably a mixture of his decline starting and being shut down, like you say.

Decline he's second in the prem in assists. Where is he declining?

Baines is still the best and I can see him lasting another 2/3 years he's only 30 we bought distin at that age player's now look after themselves much better.i still think baines is the fittest at the club.

No doubt he's fit but as Haf (I think it was him) had pointed out a few times, football is just a job to him so he's not going to be keen on playing way into his thirties.

Say he does though, it's not showing much forward thinking to keep him as first choice for all that time to the detriment of players who could (would in my opinion) give us what Baines does for far longer. You could have the situation where we've stuck with Baines right up until his retirement and then have nothing waiting in the wings to take over because they've left.

I have nothing against Baines, he's a great player, but I'm thinking of the bigger picture.

I just don't think he's been as good. I don't get as excited when he gets the ball as much as I used to. That might be more to do with the rest of the side than him though.

I get that, but I don't think that's him either. That's the lack of pienaar and our only gameplan with moyes of move it on the left. I used to remember the heat maps after the match and we were so one sided.

Now the ball is spread a little more evenly, and if he had a better partner on the wing I think we'd see the same thing.

My point is that in spite of a good partner and not seeing the ball as much he's still defending well and making tons of assists. If he was so dependent on pienaar and service he would have dried up but he hasn't because he is class.

If Garbutt is already making noises about leaving where's the guarantee he'll be here ten years even if he's first choice?

There isn't one, and I didn't say there was one either. He's supposedly making noises about leaving because of game time, and I'm saying give him game time, which takes that away.

You'd think I'd suggested bulldozing Goodison Park and sharing Analfied with the shite :lol:.

Bit of a moot point, Baines won't leave and is contracted pretty much until he retires. He will go the way of Ossie and Hibbert, slightly overstay their welcome in the 1st team but provide solid cover when needed.

I really want Garbutt given a chance but honestly, Baines is still too good to drop. I like the idea of loaning him out, maybe to one of next seasons newly promoted teams.

Bit of a moot point, Baines won't leave and is contracted pretty much until he retires. He will go the way of Ossie and Hibbert, slightly overstay their welcome in the 1st team but provide solid cover when needed.

I really want Garbutt given a chance but honestly, Baines is still too good to drop. I like the idea of loaning him out, maybe to one of next seasons newly promoted teams.

I'd be happy with that scenario. If that's enough to get him to sign a new contract and be patient then happy days.

I don't want to fuck Baines off, I just don't want to lose Garbutt.

Spot on matt. Great idea that, loaning to a newer promoted side. Would be able to see if he passes muster.

With all the Garbutt talk is Oviedo doomed to left wing or just squad cover? He showed some real promise last year and with game time I would love to see what he's got. He's young as well. Not to mention he's got the hottest woman of all the players :)

Edited by markjazzbassist

• 3 months later...

Playing Galloway in the last two games either means Garbutt has already told the club he won't be signing or that Martinez is telling Garbutt he doesn't want him. If Martinez wanted to convince him he's first in line behind Baines, at least, he'd have played him.

Playing Galloway in the last two games either means Garbutt has already told the club he won't be signing or that Martinez is telling Garbutt he doesn't want him. If Martinez wanted to convince him he's first in line behind Baines, at least, he'd have played him.

This