IGNORED

Luke Garbutt to Liverpool

I'd recon we could use baines in the middle with maccarthy and use garbutt on left back, but we could try use him on left winger as well, he has good offensive qualities as well

Theres a few of us that think the same and then theres the guy that makes a point out of strongly disagreeing. Used the red arrow in your case, usually he throws a few insults as well. Welcome back HElvheim. Long time no see

Theres a few of us that think the same and then theres the guy that makes a point out of strongly disagreeing. Used the red arrow in your case, usually he throws a few insults as well. Welcome back HElvheim. Long time no see

Baines is never nor will heever be a central midfielder or even a left mid for that matter.

There's a good reason why we lose almost every time we play players out of position. Baines is 30 now he isn't going to adapt into a centre mid get over it.

Baines is never nor will heever be a central midfielder or even a left mid for that matter.

There's a good reason why we lose almost every time we play players out of position. Baines is 30 now he isn't going to adapt into a centre mid get over it.

his 1 cameo in midfield was incredibly promising, actually having a midfielder who players ball forward was refreshing

I agree. He could certainly be a cm... let's give him a go when we're playing with more confidence and then judge him.

id still only give him a shot in that position if there's no other way of mixing it up, he's a damn good LB. But it's foolish to write anyone off after 45 mins in a position, especially if that change opens up opportunity for our potentially future long term replacement

his 1 cameo in midfield was incredibly promising, actually having a midfielder who players ball forward was refreshing

Matt he was all over the place mate, he was getting run ragged and constantly being caught out of position. Ifhe hadn't played that throughball to Mirallas at the end we wouldn't be having this conversation.

He looked like a fish out of water other than that pass.

No having a pop at the lad it's not hisfault but he will never be an effective cm he's a left backand a very very good one at that.

Matt he was all over the place mate, he was getting run ragged and constantly being caught out of position. Ifhe hadn't played that throughball to Mirallas at the end we wouldn't be having this conversation.

He looked like a fish out of water other than that pass.

No having a pop at the lad it's not hisfault but he will never be an effective cm he's a left backand a very very good one at that.

He made more than 1 pass forward, he did it all second half. Granted, its the first step of an experiment, but I maintain he should be given a chance (when needed)

edit: you would lose Garbutt as a potential long term replacement to keep Baines in his LB position another 3 years?

Edited by Matt

I agree with paddock on this one leave baines left back thats his position.

Keep him there of course but it doesn't mean that he couldn't evolve into a very handy cm option when required. It's too soon to write him off after a poor team performance in a team playing with little to no confidence.

Good few people disagree with you too.

I dont think baines himself wants to play cm.

Thats the only reason not to try. (If you are right) Baines is too important to mess around with if he does not want to try it.

Good few people disagree with you too.

Yes. You are not the only one but you are the only one who laces the arguements with insults.

Thats the only reason not to try. (If you are right) Baines is too important to mess around with if he does not want to try it.

Yes. You are not the only one but you are the only one who laces the arguements with insults.

It was you who was frothing in the Newcastle thread. You've thrown a few about yourself!

He made more than 1 pass forward, he did it all second half. Granted, its the first step of an experiment, but I maintain he should be given a chance (when needed)

edit: you would lose Garbutt as a potential long term replacement to keep Baines in his LB position another 3 years?

NoI wouldgiveGarbutt game time in cups etc . I would have him on the bench every wekk and I would sit him down and explain to him that I see him as our first choice left backfor 10 years after Baines goes on the decline. I'd explain Baines isn't getting any younger and give him a good contract have him with the first team every day in training and make him feel an integral part of the set up and tell him to bide his time and it will come.

Baines is a left back he isn't a centre mid. Until Martinez mentioned it nobody even dreamt it as a possibility.

He was poir at Spurs Matt he looked like a fish out of water. His positional play was sll over the place he kept getting caught out exposing our flanks and was piulled all over the shop.

Keep him left back where he beongs.

NoI wouldgiveGarbutt game time in cups etc . I would have him on the bench every wekk and I would sit him down and explain to him that I see him as our first choice left backfor 10 years after Baines goes on the decline. I'd explain Baines isn't getting any younger and give him a good contract have him with the first team every day in training and make him feel an integral part of the set up and tell him to bide his time and it will come.

Baines is a left back he isn't a centre mid. Until Martinez mentioned it nobody even dreamt it as a possibility.

He was poir at Spurs Matt he looked like a fish out of water. His positional play was sll over the place he kept getting caught out exposing our flanks and was piulled all over the shop.

He's 22 soon. He can't sit on the bench - he will miss development, he can't wait and he holds all the aces.

Ashley Cole and Baines were both playing first team football at his age.

Look at Gerard Pique - he left United for £5m as a 21 year old as he couldn't get games and how they could do with him now.

Personally I don't think it's a crazy idea to get as much money as we can for Baines, we could get £12-£14m for him. It allows us to keep Garbutt happy and we can use Oviedo.

Baines for me seems to be lacking in motivation, I can't put my finger on it, but he ain't what he was. It has been said he doesn't even like football, its a job!

Don't agree he was poor, thought he looked our best player in the second half.

I understand the concern but I'm all for mixing it up if there's need.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest rusty747

This is where Martinez needs to show some good man management. Baines is the man in possession of the lb slot. Garbutt is undoubtedly the future and Oviedo is a reliable back up for Baines and will probably be cover for Garbutt as well.

Martinez has to keep all three happy and it wont be easy - especially as European football next season is almost certainly not going to happen. Baines in midfield didnt really work. Oviedo can cover left wing and may get the odd game there but I can see one of the three going in the summer.

Edited by rusty747

This is where Martinez needs to show some good man management. Baines is the man in possession of the lb slot. Garbutt is undoubtedly the future and Oviedo is a reliable back up for Baines and will probably be cover for Garbutt as well.

Martinez has to keep all three happy and it wont be easy - especially as European football next season is almost certainly not going to happen. Baines in midfield didnt really work. Oviedo can cover left wing and may get the odd game there but I can see one of the three going in the summer.

Out on a limb here maybe but if we do lose one of them I'd possibly go for Baines if a decent offer came in.

Out on a limb here maybe but if we do lose one of them I'd possibly go for Baines if a decent offer came in.

Hurts me to say it since he's my favorite player but I agree mike. He's worth something and we have the replacement already.

I could also be alright with him being the barry cover/competition for passing centre mid and let Gibson go and then have Oviedo and Garbutt battle it out.

Garbutt is no Baines that's for sure, problem Baines isn't the Baines of 2/3 years ago.

Baines made Pienaar look good, Pienaar made Baines a better player, just tough luck for us how things are developing at the moment with those two.

Another Martinez dilema, he see's things in training, surely he can see how things will probably work out over the next season or two.

surely you don't sell the England left back and replace him with a lad who's only played a handfull of games, unless (A) He's running out of steam or (B) he want's to leave.

At this present time Garbutt needs to wait his turn. Offer him to other premier league clubs on loan. He has to be 3rd choice at the moment because he lacks experience.

He only lacks experience, because Martinez doesn't play him. It's like you said before, Martinez has become more reserved. I think Garbutt should be playing over Oviedo at the moment.

I can't remember who said it, but Garbutt does the simple things right. I look at Oviedo as more of a utility-man. Garbutt has the brighter future.

Guest rusty747

For those of us with long memories, I can see great similarities between Oviedo and a certain Kevin Richardson. Didn't make the starting eleven very often but could always be relied upon to come in and do a job. A valuable squad member who we really should try hard to keep.