IGNORED

Luke Garbutt to Liverpool

The amount they spent on a young lb in Moreno makes me feel that this is no more than a twitter rumour. He'd be closer to a starting spot here than there.

It wouldn't shock me if he opted to leave but more likely for somewhere he'll play as 1st choice. I'd be gutted if we didn't hang onto him because I think he'll be international quality in a few years.

If he has decided to leave there is nothing the club can do to stop him, this rumour has been around for months so he may well have been tapped up

Exactly what I was going to say, pointless saying we'd be annoyed if the club allowed it to happen, if he won't sign he won't sign, fuck all we can do about it other than going silly money/making daft promises which is giving in to blackmail and not the way we want to be going as a club. Don't need mercenaries, however good.

Damn sure the club are doing everything they can to keep him.

Exactly what I was going to say, pointless saying we'd be annoyed if the club allowed it to happen, if he won't sign he won't sign, fuck all we can do about it other than going silly money/making daft promises which is giving in to blackmail and not the way we want to be going as a club. Don't need mercenaries, however good.

What I meant is that we shouldn't have allowed him to run his deal down this low. We've handed out contracts to people with 4 years left on their contracts. If for no other reason than to make sure we don't get fucked on a fee. Learnt nothing after Gosling.

I don't mean we "allowed" him to go to Liverpool,I mean thefact we've let one of our best prospects contract to run down thus giving him the opportunity to do it.

What I meant is that we shouldn't have allowed him to run his deal down this low. We've handed out contracts to people with 4 years left on their contracts. If for no other reason than to make sure we don't get fucked on a fee. Learnt nothing after Gosling.

I don't mean we "allowed" him to go to Liverpool,I mean thefact we've let one of our best prospects contract to run down thus giving him the opportunity to do it.

Can anyone tell me exactly how we stop him running down his contract if he (and/or his agent) decide that's what they want to do? How do you know we've learned nothing from Gosling? The only mistake we made there was not putting a new offer on paper thus losing ourselves compensation, the loss of the player was a blessing. Luke's twenty times the prospect Gosling was, there'll be something on paper without a shadow of a doubt and the backroom team will be moving heaven and earth to get him to sign an extension. No-brainer.

But I say again; If he won't sign one it's out of our hands and down to a tribunal. Fuck all we can do about it and fuck all we could ever have done about it without completely destabilising the squad and signing someone who stayed purely for money rather than any desire to play for Everton.

Can anyone tell me exactly how we stop him running down his contract if he (and/or his agent) decide that's what they want to do? How do you know we've learned nothing from Gosling? The only mistake we made there was not putting a new offer on paper thus losing ourselves compensation, the loss of the player was a blessing. Luke's twenty times the prospect Gosling was, they'll be something on paper without a shadow of a doubt and the backroom team will be moving heaven and earth to get him to sign an extension. No-brainer.

But I say again; If he won't sign one it's out of our hands and down to a tribunal. Fuck all we can do about it and fuck all we could ever have done about it without completely destabilising the squad and signing someone who stayed purely for money rather than any desire to play for Everton.

Come on, Mike, the interest is recent (if it's even a reality), so we've had ample time to get something done while we were his best option.

We've learnt nothing from Gosling because we've allowed him to get to the arse end of his deal before making any sort of effort, leaving us open to this sort of thing. I wasn't meaning about the balls up of not writing the offer down. We didn't 'steal' him from Leeds because he was crap, he hasn't had really good reviews from his loan spells because he's not very good, he isn't highly thought of in the England youth ranks for nothing. It just seems amateurish to let it get to this stage.

With any luck, it's a load of bollocks and he re-signs with us.

I can see where many are coming from here with it not being all EFC's fault... players will often have their own agenda/plans. It happens to the best of them - Barca have lost a few over the years, Pogba's a massive recent example. Fingers crossed we offer and he signs but none of us know the full story on this.

Come on, Mike, the interest is recent (if it's even a reality), so we've had ample time to get something done while we were his best option.

We've learnt nothing from Gosling because we've allowed him to get to the arse end of his deal before making any sort of effort, leaving us open to this sort of thing. I wasn't meaning about the balls up of not writing the offer down. We didn't 'steal' him from Leeds because he was crap, he hasn't had really good reviews from his loan spells because he's not very good, he isn't highly thought of in the England youth ranks for nothing. It just seems amateurish to let it get to this stage.

With any luck, it's a load of bollocks and he re-signs with us.

Going round in circles so may as well stop. You don't have an iota of evidence to back any of that up (any more than I do my opinion) but if you think we're administrivlly really that pitiful then (imo) we'd be playing in Stanley Park on a Sunday morning with seven regular players.

A football club is a vast multi-multi million pound operation and we have people of the callibre to run a company of that size. Maybe not at the level we'd like at times but they're not dave.

Going round in circles so may as well stop. You don't have an iota of evidence to back any of that up (any more than I do my opinion) but if you think we're administrivlly really that pitiful then (imo) we'd be playing in Stanley Park on a Sunday morning with seven regular players.

A football club is a vast multi-multi million pound operation and we have people of the callibre to run a company of that size. Maybe not at the level we'd like at times but they're not dave.

Martinez has said we'll sit down with him soon to try and get something sorted, which suggests that we haven't at any point until now done that does it not?

Martinez has said we'll sit down with him soon to try and get something sorted, which suggests that we haven't at any point until now done that does it not?

No manager in their right mind is going to divulge details of internal player negotiations. It's not the manager that arranges the contracts anyway, doesn't mean things haven't been going on behind the scenes for months or even years.

It's inconceivable to me when you look at our record of tying down youngsters and established stars that he (and Mirallas for that matter) haven't been being worked on for a long time. Doesn't fit the model of how we work. Why would we single those two players out to be ignored? What can we possibly hope to gain from it? You think we want them to leave for free/on the cheap? Have we forgotten them? We don't know the story but it's certainly neither of those; it's nonsensical to believe otherwise imo.

Who do you piss off to bring a LB into central midfield? I couldn't see any of them being particularly happy about it.

It all depends on Baines I guess. He has been tried there a couple of times so Im assuming that he is up for it. Apparently RM took him to a game to see Lahm play there so I think they have discussed it.

Barry should be dropped and RM seems to like to play players that he trusts (Baines, Barry etc) so by switching Baines to Barrys position he is able to keep a trusted player in the midfield.

I dont reallt care if Barry gets pissed off. He should be pissed off considering his form this season.

Edited by Peter H

It all depends on Baines I guess. He has been tried there a couple of times so Im assuming that he is up for it. Apparently RM took him to a game to see Lahm play there so I think they have discussed it.

Barry should be dropped and RM seems to like to play players that he trusts (Baines, Barry etc) so by switching Baines to Barrys position he is able to keep a trusted player in the midfield.

I dont reallt care if Barry gets pissed off. He should be pissed off considering his form this season.

I was thinking of Besic, not Barry. He's brought in and then we convert a LB to play where he does. Great confidence boost for the lad.

Interesting debate this.

Basically my two cents is this.

He's 22 in May. Sit the lad down. Explain that he is Evertons future Number 1 left back. Sign a contract and he will play in cup games and get at least 20 minutes in most fixtures. Within 1 year he will be expected to be challenging Baines for the first team spot. If this doesn't happen we will sell him at an agreed price.

He can't ask for much fairer