IGNORED

David Marshall

If this is true..

"It is understood Marshall will not consider quitting the Bluebirds unless he is guaranteed to be number one at any potential new club..."

...then no thanks. I've said it many times before but I don't care who you are, nobody should ever have that guarantee in their contract. Insane idea, take it to its extreme and the players are picking the team.

If this is true..

"It is understood Marshall will not consider quitting the Bluebirds unless he is guaranteed to be number one at any potential new club..."

...then no thanks. I've said it many times before but I don't care who you are, nobody should ever have that guarantee in their contract. Insane idea, take it to its extreme and the players are picking the team.

I think Gareth Barry managed to get that one in based on how I see things!

If this is true..

"It is understood Marshall will not consider quitting the Bluebirds unless he is guaranteed to be number one at any potential new club..."[/size]

"Speculation" Mike.

I'm sure like any other keeper he just wants assurances he'll play, not it written in his contract! Nowt wrong with that. Shows he doesn't want to sit on the bench and take a wage. Get him in.

"Speculation" Mike.

I'm sure like any other keeper he just wants assurances he'll play, not it written in his contract! Nowt wrong with that. Shows he doesn't want to sit on the bench and take a wage. Get him in.

That's why I started my post with, "If this is true..." .

• 9 months later...

He's good but can make blunders too, wasn't too impressive in Scotlands crucial international v Poland lately. I think there will be better options out there, I would happily take Valdes loads of experience at high level and will have the incentive to prove himself to Van Gall and co. He may be free or have low transfer fee wages may be on the high side but if promised chance of regular football he that may be negotiable.

• 2 months later...

If he's worth it then pay it, simple as that.

Just seen - he's 29.... still youngish for a keeper I guess but 5 years at top left maybe.

If we're going to spend on a keeper, and Robles isn't seen as a viable candidate to be number one, then I'd prefer to invest in a younger keeper who will be around for a long time.

If we're going to spend on a keeper, and Robles isn't seen as a viable candidate to be number one, then I'd prefer to invest in a younger keeper who will be around for a long time.

agreed. plus 10m is kinda a lot for a keeper. de gea was only 20m not sure marshall at 10m is a good buy, would rather play robles and get someone in the summer.

Guest rusty747

I would have paid that at the start of the season but not now. Top four is gone, Robles plays in the Cups so unless we think we can still make Europe via league places I am inclined to say that we either give Robles a chance to shine or Howard a chance to seal his fate and buy big in the summer.

Guest rusty747

Well we definitely need another 'keeper now if we are to do anything in the league this season. Howard is past it and Robles, though steady and reliable, strikes me more as a competent reserve rather than the first choice 'keeper.

Edited by rusty747

Well we definitely need another 'keeper now if we are to do anything in the league this season. Howard is past it and Robles, though steady and reliable, strikes me more as a competent reserve rather than the first choice 'keeper.

Robles put in another solid performance last night. Do you still think he's no more than "a competent reserve"?

I'd rather give Robles the nod then spend £10m on a bloke that's much older and hasn't done much to justify such a price tag

Robles looked solid and confident the other night he was vocal to the back four his distribution bar one wayward throw was great, I'd rather us use the money elsewhere and also bring in a no2 and get shut of Howard

Robles put in another solid performance last night. Do you still think he's no more than "a competent reserve"?

We had a decent game. Nothing to suggest anything other than the same level as Tim though.

Hardly had anything to do because the defence was better.

Would like to see him in a few more matches and see what he's like under more pressure.

Guest rusty747

Robles certainly did ok last night and pulled off a couple of decent saves. But we need a top class 'keeper as close to the Southall levels as we can get. A top class 'keeper is worth 10 points a season and Robles is not in that class. A Southall type would have got a lot closer to stopping the important away goal that City scored - and that could prove pivotal.

I am not saying that Robles was at fault for the goal - merely that a top class 'keeper saves a few like that throughout the season.

Edited by rusty747

Robles certainly did ok last night and pulled off a couple of decent saves. But we need a top class 'keeper as close to the Southall levels as we can get. A top class 'keeper is worth 10 points a season and Robles is not in that class. A Southall type would have got a lot closer to stopping the important away goal that City scored - and that could prove pivotal.

I am not saying that Robles was at fault for the goal - merely that a top class 'keeper saves a few like that throughout the season.

He doesn't have a chance of showing if he can make a few saves like that throughout a season if he isn't given a season.

He doesn't have a chance of showing if he can make a few saves like that throughout a season if he isn't given a season.

Agree 100%. We can't judge him on last night alone. He's looked mostly decent in the few games he's had, he's gaining experience and looking more confident and dominant with each game, and I'd like to see him get a run of 5-10 games so we can get a better overall picture of what he has to offer. The defence certainly look more confident in him with each passing game.

Agree 100%. We can't judge him on last night alone. He's looked mostly decent in the few games he's had, he's gaining experience and looking more confident and dominant with each game, and I'd like to see him get a run of 5-10 games so we can get a better overall picture of what he has to offer. The defence certainly look more confident in him with each passing game.

This is what I've been saying for a while. I don't know if he's good enough, none of us do, because he hasn't been given the chance to show us either way. All I do know is that when he was given a small run in the side he looked better, and more assured, with each game.

Give him the rest of the season. If he proves he's good enough we can spend money on other areas. If he shows he's no better than Howard then we get shut of him. But we need to know either way because Howard is costing us points and is at the end of his career anyway.