IGNORED

McCarthy or Mirallas, who would you sell if we needed £20m?

MikeO

Kev or James?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. ???

• Kevin Mirallas
    • James McCarthy

That's fair enough but Im basing my opinion on where it would leave us as a squad. If we had a couple of decent wingers ready to step in I would agree with you

And i think that if we received 20 mil for Mirallas it would be easier to replace him. There are a lot more players of his type out there. Its not easy to replace someone like McCarthy.

But I do agree with you that we are in need of wingers and that we have more backup for McCarthy. However none are anywhere near as good. McGeady on the other hand could have moments of brilliance that matches Mirallas. Mirallas just shows it a lot more often. (Still not enough tho, his consistency is his biggest problem. His ego is the second biggest problem)

I like Mirallas, on his day he is magic to watch. I just think McCarthy shows his type of magic more often

And i think that if we received 20 mil for Mirallas it would be easier to replace him. There are a lot more players of his type out there. Its not easy to replace someone like McCarthy.

But I do agree with you that we are in need of wingers and that we have more backup for McCarthy. However none are anywhere near as good. McGeady on the other hand could have moments of brilliance that matches Mirallas. Mirallas just shows it a lot more often. (Still not enough tho, his consistency is his biggest problem. His ego is the second biggest problem)

I like Mirallas, on his day he is magic to watch. I just think McCarthy shows his type of magic more often

McCarthy hasn't got any magic that's the point he's a consistant performer a work horse who never stops running. One thing McCarthy would never be described as is magic.

He'd also be much easier to replace than Mirallas.

I find it baffling how people can quite freely say Mirallas will be easily replaced. It's absolutely clueless thinking. He is a top class winger and someone a club like us is lucky to have.

Memphis Depay? Let me tell you he'll be nowhere near a viable replacement, that's if he'd ever come here. Which I highly highly doubt.

Edited by MC11

I find it baffling how people can quite freely say Mirallas will be easily replaced. It's absolutely clueless thinking. He is a top class winger and someone a club like us is lucky to have.

Memphis Depay? Let me tell you he'll be nowhere near a viable replacement, that's if he'd ever come here. Which I highly highly doubt.

I agree, we have been trying to find a winger, without success, to compliment Mirallas for years and now people seem to think we can find 2 quite easily

I do disagree with you lightly in McCarthy though, I think he is just as important to the side

Are we allowed a both option? If decent replacements were already lined up, i'd cash in and get 2-3 decent wingers.

Realistically, I love having McCarthy at everton, but we have other options in CM. Unless we find replacements for ossie and peanuts soon, we are in deep trouble.

Edited by Blueherts

Neither would be "easy" to replace but for the sake of taking a couple of variables out of it I'll base my opinion as if it was the end of the season with time to use the money

I've no bias towards either player like a few love struck people on here as I rate them both highly but if one had to go and we had time to find a replacement it would have to be Mirallas

He's just not consistent enough to be as highly regarded as some see him in my eyes he's generally a one in three player he has the ability he just doesn't do it often enough and at 27 £20m would be good business

McCarthy is a consistent performer who's work goes greatly unnoticed and appreciated by many at times, he's never going to score bags of goals or get a tekkers reel on soccer AM but he allows others to do so

I think some people just need to acknowledge others don't always see players the same way they do as all this is getting a tad tedious and boring now

Neither would be "easy" to replace but for the sake of taking a couple of variables out of it I'll base my opinion as if it was the end of the season with time to use the money

I've no bias towards either player like a few love struck people on here as I rate them both highly but if one had to go and we had time to find a replacement it would have to be Mirallas

He's just not consistent enough to be as highly regarded as some see him in my eyes he's generally a one in three player he has the ability he just doesn't do it often enough and at 27 £20m would be good business

McCarthy is a consistent performer who's work goes greatly unnoticed and appreciated by many at times, he's never going to score bags of goals or get a tekkers reel on soccer AM but he allows others to do so

I think some people just need to acknowledge others don't always see players the same way they do as all this is getting a tad tedious and boring now

Spot on.

I agree, there was no point in this thread at all. Other than to say you're wrong we're right it's been getting discussed in the players threads.

I agree, there was no point in this thread at all. Other than to say you're wrong we're right it's been getting discussed in the players threads.

You're free to ignore a thread if you don't find it interesting. The proposition, as I put it, was being discussed nowhere else. And who are the "we" in "we're right"?

I had no idea which way the vote would go when I posted it and haven't expressed an opinion either way.

Being in the minority doesn't make you right or wrong, really don't see your problem; sparked a bit of debate which is what we're here for I thought :huh:.

This. All day.

They're both important and I wouldn't want to lose either, but Mirallas has moments of magic, whereas McCarthy makes the magic show possible.

Ok I can see your struggling to grasp this concept so I will try and make it a little easier for you

Question 1. Has Mirallas ever been out this long with any of his hamstring injuries?

Question 2. Has Mirallas ever played since having the injuries?

Question 3. Does he look to have lost any of his pace or do the injuries appear to have effected his game in any way shape or form?

Now apply the same questions to McCarthy

Again Im not saying that he wont recover eventually Im just pointing out that there is a question mark

Oh and I see you chose the option to ignore the Michael Owen example!

I'm trying not to get involved with this debate again, but I found this

Mirallas

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/kevin-mirallas/verletzungen/spieler/33639

14/15 Hamstring Injury Sep 27, 2014 Nov 21, 2014 55 days 929.png

13/14 Groin Injury Apr 22, 2014 May 22, 2014 30 days 329_1406300365.png

12/13 Hamstring Injury Dec 9, 2012 Jan 20, 2013 42 days 829_1400912708.png

12/13 Hamstring Injury Nov 10, 2012 Nov 30, 2012 20 days 429_1400912708.png

McCarthy

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/james-mccarthy/verletzungen/spieler/45333

14/15 Hamstring Injury Dec 28, 2014 Jan 31, 2015 34 days

729.png

14/15 Hamstring Injury Nov 9, 2014 Dec 6, 2014 27 days 629.png

Answers Q1 quite clearly

Q2 is obviously yes

Q3 is probably not.

You cannot apply Q2 or 3 to McCarthy because he is still in recovery, looking to be close to 15-20 days sooner than Kevs injury at the beginning of the season (if Martinez can be trusted)

Edited by Matt

Mirallas

McCarthy

729.png

Answers Q1 quite clearly

Q2 is obviously yes

Q3 is probably not.

You cannot apply Q2 or 3 to McCarthy because he is still in recovery, looking to be close to 15-20 days sooner than Kevs injury at the beginning of the season (if Martinez can be trusted)

Looking at that the longer Mirallas has been out with a hamstring injury is 20 days, McCarthy has pretty much been out since November, that's a big difference

I'll be honest this vote is pretty much "who has learned what is valuable in football vs what looks Good in football".

Yeah kev deffo was you fa doubles partner.

What absolute bollocks, just because somebodies view is different than yours does not mean that they don't know what is valuable in football

I have acknowledged what McCarthy brings to the team and feel that my reasoning is sound , mainly that we have plenty of cover in CM but none what so ever on the wings, so I fail to see how your arrogant condescending remarks hold any sway

Looking at that the longer Mirallas has been out with a hamstring injury is 20 days, McCarthy has pretty much been out since November, that's a big difference

he was out 55 days, McCarthy 35 currently. top line :huh:

I'm assuming you mean longest, not longer?

Edited by Matt

Mirallas

McCarthy

729.png

Answers Q1 quite clearly

Q2 is obviously yes

Q3 is probably not.

Must admit I misread it first time around , however those figures don't add up

Dec 6th missed the game v City

Dec 11th missing v Krasnodor

Dec 15th v QPR unused sub

Dec 20th v Soton still injured

Dec 26 mkes his return v Stoke but goes off injured after just over an hour ( hamstring)

Dec 28th v Newcastle lasts 45 minutes then off again

Hasn't appeared since, so presuming the other date are correct he has been limited to 114 minutes in 83 days ( if he comes back v Palace ) because of this hamstring injury

Edited by duncanmckenzieismagic

What absolute bollocks, just because somebodies view is different than yours does not mean that they don't know what is valuable in football

I have acknowledged what McCarthy brings to the team and feel that my reasoning is sound , mainly that we have plenty of cover in CM but none what so ever on the wings, so I fail to see how your arrogant condescending remarks hold any sway

Whatever Dunc, don't get a titty lip if you hold a player to one rule when it's incorrectly used for another.

Nice to see some love in this thread

Bit of maturity I think, been lacking a fair bit of recent. Its cool to diagree after all its a forum, but when people just have agendas and try to be a WUM for the sake of it it gets a bit tedious.

Back to the thread - this russian bloke for £2m could well be a case of us saying to Spurs "we will sell you Mirallas for £10m if you help us sign the unpronouncable one"

Must admit I misread it first time around , however those figures don't add up

Dec 6th missed the game v City

Dec 11th missing v Krasnodor

Dec 15th v QPR unused sub

Dec 20th v Soton still injured

Dec 26 mkes his return v Stoke but goes off injured after just over an hour ( hamstring)

Dec 28th v Newcastle lasts 45 minutes then off again

Hasn't appeared since, so presuming the other date are correct he has been limited to 114 minutes in 83 days ( if he comes back v Palace ) because of this hamstring injury

:lol: I spent about 10 mins re-reading your post wondering if I had completely misread it!

I would sell McCarthy simply because he is even more injury prone than Mirallas

:blink: McCarthy, who's hardly ever been out before with an injury, versus Mirallas who's out every season?

OK - so an entire debate took place since the comment to which I responded was made. Just a bit slow on the up-take!

Anyway, by 5-1, it's Mirallas gets the boot.

Edited by Cornish Steve