IGNORED

McCarthy or Mirallas, who would you sell if we needed £20m?

MikeO

Kev or James?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. ???

• Kevin Mirallas
    • James McCarthy

OK, as these two seem to be the hot topics at the moment a simple question.

Bill says to Roberto that he's had straight £20m bids in for both McCarthy and Mirallas and he wants to sell one because our lower finish is going to impact the season's budgeting. Says he'll give Roberto £15m back to spend as he wishes. Which one would you sell?

Mirallas for lots of reasons. Most importantly his commitment is questionable and 15 million will replace Mirallas it wont McCarthy also Miirallas is in danger of running his contract down.

In an ideal world we keep both get Mirallas on a new 5 year deal same with McCarthy and we start winning football matches again.

I can dream can't I!!!

If he could get £20 million for either of those two and could only sell one, it's a no brainer, as Mirallas dosen't seem to want to stay, is older and has a shorter contract, it would have to be him.

Problem is he's one of the most talanted payers at the club and if his mind was right (wanted an Everton future), then selling him would be a disaster.

I wouldn't sell either for that price but a lot would depend on the variables, such as do either actually want to leave and length of contract left

However if you were to push me into a corner I would sell McCarthy simply because he is even more injury prone than Mirallas and we have a ready made replacement in Besic. Roberto also sees Barkley's future as dropping deeper into that role and if you factor in the emerging talent of Ryan Ledson then we would not feel the loss as much as we would Mirallas

Sell Miralllas and we have no width what so ever, we have nobody else at the club who can do what he does and he would be more expensive to replace

I wouldn't sell either for that price but a lot would depend on the variables, such as do either actually want to leave and length of contract left

£20m was just a figure I picked out of the air; all things being equal I'd sell neither of them as well, Call it £25/30 if you like, just trying to establish who people value more as an Everton player and who people feel would be more easily replaced if the majority of the fee was given back to the manager. The amount's not really relevant to the question, should have made that clearer maybe.

Should have said,

".....who would you sell (of those two with identical bids on the table) if Bill needed £5m in the bank?"

However if you were to push me into a corner I would sell McCarthy simply because he is even more injury prone than Mirallas and we have a ready made replacement in Besic. Roberto also sees Barkley's future as dropping deeper into that role and if you factor in the emerging talent of Ryan Ledson then we would not feel the loss as much as we would Mirallas

Sell Miralllas and we have no width what so ever, we have nobody else at the club who can do what he does and he would be more expensive to replace

Not sure about injury prone McCarthy prior to this season is 105 appearances in last 3 full seasons vs 85 mirallas.

Mirrallas for me.

Very good player. Not as good as he and some others think. For example, he wouldn't walk into any of the usual top 2 or 3 teams of any of the established leagues. The way I see it, if he was 'that' good, bids would have been received before now.

Those who don't get McCarthy point to the fact he doesn't create and score enough. That's not his role. This man is the modern era deep central midfielder. And he'll only get better.

£20m was just a figure I picked out of the air; all things being equal I'd sell neither of them as well, Call it £25/30 if you like, just trying to establish who people value more as an Everton player and who people feel would be more easily replaced if the majority of the fee was given back to the manager. The amount's not really relevant to the question, should have made that clearer maybe.

Should have said,

".....who would you sell (of those two with identical bids on the table) if Bill needed £5m in the bank?"

I would be devastated to lose either, but the bit in bold is precisely why it would have to be McCarthy

We wouldn't need to spend a penny to replace him, Besic is a ready made replacement and is only going to get better and then in the future we have Barkley and Ledson to step up

If we get rid of Mirallas youre looking at McGeady or Naismith playing out wide. As it stands we already need another winger so to sell the only decent one we have would be ridiculous

I don't think its possible to say which one is more valuable to the team because they are like chalk and cheese and each is invaluable for entirely different reasons.

Ok I will put it another way, his hamstrings seems to have gone and until Im convinced that he is over those injuries I will remain concerned about his fitness in the future

Spot on. McCarthy has been out more than Mirallas this season yet people keep bringing up Mirallas injury record. It's really not bad for a winger who relies on quick short burst of pace.

McCarthy is yet to recover from this recurring one. He could be completely goosed.

Edited by MC11

Ok I will put it another way, his hamstrings seems to have gone and until Im convinced that he is over those injuries I will remain concerned about his fitness in the future

Hamstrings don't "go" Duncan. They are symptomatic of an imbalance. McCarthy has had them happen in a quick spate. Mirallas gets them consistently over time.

Some ppl will always be blinded by that moment of flair. The same ppl will never see the important work that someone like McCarthy does.

Its obvious, the answer to mikeO's question is Mirallas. Even if you take injuries, age and wages out of the equation. McCarthy is far more important.

Can you please explain why its obvious?

I have given my rationale for saying McCarthy and it has nothing to do with being " blinded by that moment of flair "

You try telling Michael Owen that

Owens hamstring first went when he was 18. He was still playing into his 30's.

You state McCarthy and his hamstring has gone, mirallas had 3 hamstring injuries on the bounce from Nov 2012 through till Feb 2013.

So I fail to see why you are applying different logic to the same condition.

Owens hamstring first went when he was 18. He was still playing into his 30's.

You state McCarthy and his hamstring has gone, mirallas had 3 hamstring injuries on the bounce from Nov 2012 through till Feb 2013.

So I fail to see why you are applying different logic to the same condition.

Simply because he has been out practically all season with hamstring injuries

Are you seriously trying to tell me the Michael Owen who played for Newcastle was the same player who played for Liverpool? His hamstrings wrecked his career

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2013/mar/21/michael-owen-retirement-blog

Mirallas has shown that he can come back from his injuries and still be the same player, so far McCarthy has failed to even come back from it. Im not saying he is finished but there is a serious question mark over him now. But if it doesn't suit your argument please feel free to ignore it!

Simply because he has been out practically all season with hamstring injuries

Are you seriously trying to tell me the Michael Owen who played for Newcastle was the same player who played for Liverpool? His hamstrings wrecked his career

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2013/mar/21/michael-owen-retirement-blog

Mirallas has shown that he can come back from his injuries and still be the same player, so far McCarthy has failed to even come back from it. Im not saying he is finished but there is a serious question mark over him now. But if it doesn't suit your argument please feel free to ignore it!

So having 3 hamstring injuries on the bounce as mirallas did is not in anyway similar? The only difference is McCarthy is in the midst of his recuperation.

Again. You apply a different logic on similar circumstances depending on player.

Hamstring injuries are detrimental to players who need pace. Mirallas relies on his more.

So having 3 hamstring injuries on the bounce as mirallas did is not in anyway similar? The only difference is McCarthy is in the midst of his recuperation.

Again. You apply a different logic on similar circumstances depending on player.

Hamstring injuries are detrimental to players who need pace. Mirallas relies on his more.

Ok I can see your struggling to grasp this concept so I will try and make it a little easier for you

Question 1. Has Mirallas ever been out this long with any of his hamstring injuries?

Question 2. Has Mirallas ever played since having the injuries?

Question 3. Does he look to have lost any of his pace or do the injuries appear to have effected his game in any way shape or form?

Now apply the same questions to McCarthy

Again Im not saying that he wont recover eventually Im just pointing out that there is a question mark

Oh and I see you chose the option to ignore the Michael Owen example!

Can you please explain why its obvious?

I have given my rationale for saying McCarthy and it has nothing to do with being " blinded by that moment of flair "

You have been very rational about it. Something i like a lot more than "mirallas is way better, youre an idiot"

Im just saying that if you take everything out of the equation. I mentioned age, injuries and wages. I could also have mentioned the rest of the squad etc.

If you JUST compare the two based on their skillsets. It is McCarthy that stays and Mirallas that packs his bags.

You have been very rational about it. Something i like a lot more than "mirallas is way better, youre an idiot"

Im just saying that if you take everything out of the equation. I mentioned age, injuries and wages. I could also have mentioned the rest of the squad etc.

If you JUST compare the two based on their skillsets. It is McCarthy that stays and Mirallas that packs his bags.

That's fair enough but Im basing my opinion on where it would leave us as a squad. If we had a couple of decent wingers ready to step in I would agree with you