IGNORED

Cricket Thread

I fail to understand England's tactics. They must and could win this game. They must and could overtake Australia's lead. They have 3-1/2 days to do that. So Wood and Stokes decide to become a swashbucklers. It might be good for a few cheers, but, to win, England need a lot of runs, not cheers. This is a batter's pitch, so be patient and use it properly. Slow and steady wins the race, especially on a pitch like this.

1 hour ago, Cornish Steve said:

I fail to understand England's tactics. They must and could win this game. They must and could overtake Australia's lead. They have 3-1/2 days to do that. So Wood and Stokes decide to become a swashbucklers. It might be good for a few cheers, but, to win, England need a lot of runs, not cheers. This is a batter's pitch, so be patient and use it properly. Slow and steady wins the race, especially on a pitch like this.

I've got no problem with Stokes going for it but the rest of them just needed to stick with him and rely on him to get us at least on par.

Excellent position for us. Weather permitting, we should be okay. Wood has made a big difference , as has Woakes. Teams are very evenly matched. It's coming down to critical moments in games and special individual performances. Let's hope we get both tomorrow. 

2 hours ago, Formby said:

Excellent position for us. Weather permitting, we should be okay. Wood has made a big difference , as has Woakes. Teams are very evenly matched. It's coming down to critical moments in games and special individual performances. Let's hope we get both tomorrow. 

England really should win this. If they don’t, they have only themselves to blame. Two days remain, so there’s plenty of time. If only they can resist the temptation to be aggressive. Do they have the discipline to be patient?

7 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

England really should win this. If they don’t, they have only themselves to blame. Two days remain, so there’s plenty of time. If only they can resist the temptation to be aggressive. Do they have the discipline to be patient?

I think being aggressive on this wicket is the best way to win this, the speed, the unpredictable bounce and swing are doing the batsmen that are playing to defensively. But it’s going to be another great day of cricket, as it always is when England are chasing a target against Australia.  

20 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

I think they won it the right way. Being positive, showing guts and determination and spirit. Delighted for Wood and Woakes. For all the flaws in the lineup, they are going toe-to-toe with the best test team in the world and giving them plenty to think about. Very proud of them.

On to Manchester. It will be another great atmosphere.    

4 hours ago, MikeO said:

Foakes needs to be in for Bairstow for the last two, much better behind the stumps and would likely score more runs on recent form; no brainer for me.

I was thinking to myself after another poor display with the bat we need to replace him, Foakes is a great shout.