IGNORED

Cricket Thread

2 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

Yes Australia is winning the series and England is not. He can't be that inept, can he?

Yes... Yes he can be. England were over aggressive in the first 2 test matches & if england had Wood & Woakes from the start I very much doubt Aus would have won a match.

15 hours ago, MikeO said:

Magnificant series, possibly the best ever or at least up there.

Weather cost us the Ashes but it is what it is, them's the rules.

The weather is always a factor in English cricket, so it's the job of team captains to adjust. Personally, I would say England lost by declaring too early in the first test and too late in the fourth. Also, the number of extras given up cost the team dearly. More are beginning to realize that the untethered aggression of the first test cost England the match (and Robinson typifies that error by swinging wildly and getting himself out at just the wrong time). But these, on the whole, are fine margins. Both teams had their heroes and both their villains. It's a series we'll remember for some time.

18 hours ago, Btay said:

Yes... Yes he can be. England were over aggressive in the first 2 test matches & if england had Wood & Woakes from the start I very much doubt Aus would have won a match.

For me, the difference between teams (and we're talking fine margins) was typified by Robinson. He was an obnoxious taunt and unrestrained as a batsman, typifying that "over aggression" of the first test. If England could have shown more patience, they could have won this series 3-1 - but they didn't and haven't. Most encouragingly for team supporters, they do appear to have learned their lesson.

• 1 month later...
On 08/09/2023 at 21:36, Cornish Steve said:

Wow. I wasn't expecting such a lopsided ODI. After maybe ten overs of the NZ innings, it looked like it would be a close game - but England took no more wickets.

England got their own back today, though. 8 for 3 at one stage and finished 226 for 7! Great resilience. Bowlers ripped through NZ. Sets the last two games up very nicely. 

3 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

Yes, it does. So much more exciting when a series is evenly matched and not lopsided.

Being English we do like to give the under dog a fighting chance, that’s why we drop our natural ability to help make a game of it. We are a nation that shows humility, respect, and charity in all aspects of our lives in bucket loads.  

• 3 weeks later...