IGNORED

Spurs (Away)

markjazzbassist

I'm on one now. Look at that Spurs team. Dembele who I like but is average in the scheme of things bullied our defenders/ midfielders they bounced off him! When he went off Spurs lost their way. I can only blame Martinez in our second half display. We played for a point. Anybody remember the classic scene in planes, trains, and automobiles when Steve Martin goes to the checkout for a hire car? That's us

We were extremely disappointing. But, there are positives. One is that we get a break and can hopefully come back to the next few matches with a game plan and a more balanced XI. The other: if you would have asked me at the beginning of the season if I would be content with a point away at Spurs, I would have certainly said yes. If we take 4 of the 6 points available from them this season, that'll be great. We always seem to have an issue with them, and they are one of those teams that we need to regularly take points from.

It seems Martinez now has a 1st 11 in mind and barring injury and suspension that is who he will play.

Kone has been ok this year, but would anyone honestly start him ahead of Kev or Del?

Barry also has been ok so far (yesterday aside), but I still think with the players we have it would suit us not to have him as a nailed on starter.

Barkley looks great coming from deep, but keeps being played forward (or wide - WHY).

Back Four picks itself, can't help the bad luck at left back.

Howard great game yesterday need more of the same.

Lukaku scores goals, and for that he deserves his place. Could do so much more though.

McCarthy this year so far not good enough, needs to do better.

Once again IMO Martinez needs to do better. I just get no sense of leadership. He can public statements about keeping Stones it means nothing? For all we know that's a club written press release.

Didn't even get into transfers there!

Mid-week extra time, and a Spurs team at home desperate for their first win, we didn't play well but got a point ! Result ?

Out of Watford, Southampton, City and Spurs, Southampton have been the poorest opponents, some on here got carried away because we looked good against them.

Palace won at Chelsea and west ham won at liverpool, anyone think a point away at Palace would be a poor result, every game is going to be a battle, teams are all pretty even, can't help feeling the manager and his tactics are the more important than a few highly paid big name players.liverpool and Chelsea had the high priced stars and managers, palace and hammers got the points.

We've got some very good players, have we got a good manager.

Big shout for Howard and Kone.

I thought we started the game very well. We were supremely confident with the ball, pinging it about, and had good tempo. Spurs could barely get hold of the ball and whenever they did we quickly won the ball back. I was sat there thinking "we've got this, a win here is on the cards." But, I think it was around the 16 minute mark that I started to get worried. The same problem we had a lot of last season was clear - for all our good build up play, and possession, we were doing absolutely nothing with the ball that actually threatened Tottenham. Our best chance of the half actually came about due to a Spurs mistake. If Cleverley had managed to score the game might have been completely different - the crowd would have got on the Spurs' players backs and we could have taken advantage. It wasn't to be though and as Spurs realised we weren't much of a threat they came more and more into the game and took charge of the ball. They weren't great themselves but they were much more of a threat than we were.

The second half was pretty much all Spurs and it was clear quite early on that Martinez had settled for a point. They were all over us and we were happy to just defend and we'd try and nick the game if we could possibly get down the other end. Getting to the other end mainly involved hoofing the ball and hoping it'd stay up there. It didn't. Lukaku wasn't on his game and we gave him no support up there anyway. If not for Howard and some desperate defending in front of him we'd have been on the end of a 3 or 4 goal defeat easily.

I was pretty disappointed with the manager, game plan and the majority of the players. Apart from Howard and Kone the rest were average at best.

Howard - He is the reason we didn't get our arses handed to us on a plate. Crucial save after crucial save. Thank you, Tim. My MOTM.

Coleman - Average. Didn't do a lot wrong, didn't do a lot right either. He was just there.

Stones and Jagielka - Both of them were hit and miss. Made some crucial blocks between them, and then other times have their head in the clouds with their defending.

Oviedo - Started the game sluggishly but looked more with it and more confident as the game progressed.

Kone - The only outfield player who looked remotely good. He held the ball up superbly, linked-up really well, and used the ball well too. And he'd often get the ball and move forward with it. Went out of the game a bit after the challenge on him that jarred his knee but he came back well.

McCarthy - Pretty crap really. He was one that doesn't even get an average rating.

Barry - Better than McCarthy but went through a stage of looking like he wanted to hand Spurs the three points personally!

Cleverley - Looked good until his injury, and could have put us ahead when he was gifted an opportunity. I hope his injury doesn't keep him out for too long because he has slotted in seamlessly and has looked one of our best players.

Barkley - Didn't get up in support of Rom enough for me. Apart from that he was in and out of the game, did some good things and some rubbish too. I wanted to shake him toward the end of the game when we'd managed to win a free-kick deep in their half though. Geri was standing out wide all on his own begging for the ball and not once did Barkley even look that way, and then instead he put a shit ball in to the box and it came to nothing.

Rom - A bit of a no show from him really. I'm hoping that was more down to his exertions mid-week than a complete lack of effort.

Romey's post above, re Barkley -- I thought it was Oviedo out there on the left that Barkley ignored, but you say Deulofeu. Anybody else remember that stupid Barkley moment? Not a big issue, just curious.

You may be thinking of a different incident? Because Deulofeu was completely open on the right.

You may be thinking of a different incident? Because Deulofeu was completely open on the right.

Yes, it was different. The time I referred to was also very late in game, but on left side. Interesting, it does sound a lot similar. This time Barkley ended up just taking a wild shot. Like you said, I wanted to shake him, to go along with cussing him. Assuming this happened twice in just a few minutes, all the more reason to be frustrated with his decision-making. As I said over on the Oviedo thread, it's the football brain issue that crops up with Barkley.

This little mini-discussion makes me want to go back and watch just the last 10 minutes of the match. Re-watching the whole thing would be too dismaying. But I might be able to stomach 10 minutes.