IGNORED

Martinez - Direction?

MC11

Well last week I still thought we'd push on up the table. But 3 games later, 6 points dropped...for the first time ever, going back to last season, I have to admit that we are going to struggle to get any higher than 11th. I can't see where our next win is going to come from. I don't see how we are going to suddenly play with any 'ooomph'. Everyone seems to have given up.

And what really pushes me now? Martinez after match comments:

"When you have to make five or six changes to our starting line-up, we look disjointed, rusty, and needed to find our normal rhythm. We overcame that lack of quality with incredible fight to get a positive result.

"Looking at our results at home, they are not anywhere near what is expected. We need to turn that around starting with understanding that the responsibility of being at Everton is to win games on a consistent basis. We haven't been producing the results and I accept the unrest."

I dont usually pay much attention to the comments, but these have got me a bit. Normal rhythm? That's been missing for quite a while. Actually, what is our normal rhythm? Positive result? Yes, it was positive because we expected to get beat. Which is bloody sad actually. Disjointed and rusty? What, just today?!!! As for turning results around at home, it's a bit late with just 2 games to go.

You put it all together and I think a change is a necessity. GP crowd has lost interest. The project has lost its way. The wheels have fell off.

I'm not angry, not full of hate, I don't dislike the man. Dont think it needs protests, pitch invasions etc, I'm just disappointed. I was happy when he was appointed. See that first season, that's exactly how I thought it would be. I didn't realise that would be the exception rather than the rule. And I'm seeing no signs that that first season was the intention. I'm seeing all the signs that these last 2 seasons are the way it is going to be. I've no malice against him. It's simple for me...a quality candidate got given a fair chance but couldn't do the job required. I think he's been given a fair chance by the club.

Roberto has the knowledge. The vision. He knows what the ingredients are. But he can't be a head chef. Well, not at the level we need.

As for the FA Cup. Well, United have hit form and are playing better. We will go into that most probably having not won for 7 or 8 games. I don't see how we will suddenly be all singing all dancing.

I've known this for a small while but have been clinging onto good old hope and positivity.

I actually look forward to the seasons end and seeing who comes in next.

That's it. My full confession your honour.

My brother accused me of child abuse when I bought Josh his first kit fifteen odd years ago; I call it character building :unsure:.

My missus says the same thing but she is a Kopite and isn't allowed an opinion

I honestly haven't forced it on them though, they had the choice ... Everton or the orphanage

Nice post Newt. Glad you are seeing this on your own terms. I've been here for quite a while now, dating back to last season, around last Christmas to be honest. Its been a wild ride for sure. I came to this club as an admirer of Roberto and never in a million years would I have predicted this scenario back in 2013 - even with the Wigan "warnings". He is a nice bloke, but to be honest he has lost some respect from me on the Baines incident, as well as the continuing disillusioned rubbish he spews (that you so eloquently pointed out) when he knows damn well things are not that way, and yet he treats us as if we are naive fools. That was a serious misstep, and he has lost many fans in that regard.

If he doesn't go, I really don't know what else to say other than following this club would be a real downer week after week. I am yearning for change, but I also hope they get it right because we have an immensely talented squad - however - they need some serious guidance and a kick in the pants to get them motivated again. Martinez is not 100% at fault here btw, and the players hold accountability as well. I view this club as a broken machine that is operating at like 60% of its true capacity. I think we are at a true crossroads here with the new owner, possible new manager, some rockstars potentially leaving, and some fresh new faces joining the fray.

COYB.

I know this won't be the most popular opinion stated around here, but I want Martinez to be given 1 season more with the new money about to come in. For the good he's done (his first season, some of the players he's brought in, the cup runs) he deserves that I think.

He must be given very clear and non-negotiable targets for the season (a trophy and./or top 6 finish would be my suggestion) and if he fails to achieve them then thanks and goodbye. But I really do think he's a good manager and the team have had some pretty shitty luck this season (below-par performances too, I'm not denying that).

Next season is going to be a weird one, what with all the teams having the money to buy top players. I don't think now is the time to be bringing in a manager who has no premier league experience. Keep the continuity for one more season at least. I seriously doubt any of the players want Roberto gone, and that's the most important thing. Give him a wad of cash and another year with clearly defined high targets.

I know this won't be the most popular opinion stated around here, but I want Martinez to be given 1 season more with the new money about to come in. For the good he's done (his first season, some of the players he's brought in, the cup runs) he deserves that I think.

He must be given very clear and non-negotiable targets for the season (a trophy and./or top 6 finish would be my suggestion) and if he fails to achieve them then thanks and goodbye. But I really do think he's a good manager and the team have had some pretty shitty luck this season (below-par performances too, I'm not denying that).

Next season is going to be a weird one, what with all the teams having the money to buy top players. I don't think now is the time to be bringing in a manager who has no premier league experience. Keep the continuity for one more season at least. I seriously doubt any of the players want Roberto gone, and that's the most important thing. Give him a wad of cash and another year with clearly defined high targets.

Hi Mike.

Hi Mike.

Back to infantile mode I see, maybe beer kicking in.

I wouldn't go so far as to commit to another whole season Isaiah, but I'd give him (as I feel today, that may change) another summer and the start to next season. See who we sign and how well it goes, no specific time limits.

That's the one. Nail on the head for me. This has happened in a few games recently but I've not been able to suss it out. You look at each player after a game and think 'he was ok, he was, he was'...but the team was pretty poor. The effort is there but it looks like the team doesn't know how to play.

I've been saying the same lately, as well. We have so much individual quality, but either Martinez does very little to organize the players tactically or the players instantly forget everything the mastermind has taught them. I'm going for the former. I see lots of individual effort out there, but too many times players look unsure of what to do in the game. This happens with positioning in defense, showing for passes on offense, making useless runs, and not being certain about their defensive responsibilities. Nothing is coordinated. Someone goes to pressure the ball, but nobody else moves and it leaves us opened up. Either Martinez is overburdening them with too much tactical information or he isn't giving them enough. I'm going for the latter, as Martinez has been pretty consistent in publicly describing his laissez-faire approach to the game and insistence on players "enjoying their football." I think they might enjoy being set up for success and achieving it rather than expected to manufacture it themselves and failing miserably.

Isaiah...I understand the sentiment. I was the same until recently.

The problem with allowing him to continue beyond this season for me is that I am not seeing any intention to change the overall game plan. And that's the flaw in the project. So if he won't change that then we will continue to concede silly goals, continue to be too slow on the ball, continue to stand off too much, continue to struggle to defend corners and crosses and continue to want to play it out from the back even when being pressed high.

I think that you give Martinez more money to spend, he'll bring in some good players, we'll score goals but we'll still concede goals with ease. We'll end up as we are now, 11 quality players on the pitch but no team.

We currently have a real good crop of players, add a couple more, get rid of some dead wood, bring in a guy who can make them play properly.

I see an opportunity for a clean slate for everyone. I think the club, fans and players need it.

Back to infantile mode I see, maybe beer kicking in.

I wouldn't go so far as to commit to another whole season Isaiah, but I'd give him (as I feel today, that may change) another summer and the start to next season. See who we sign and how well it goes, no specific time limits.

me too.

It's a shame you can't drop a manager like players get dropped. I think competition in that role could be really useful.

He's bought in Lennon, Deulofeu, Lukaku, Besic, McCarthy (some will argue with that), Barry, Galloway and Mori; also turned Stones and Barkley into regular internationals from bench warmers/reserves/loanees.

Got the odd duffer too admittedly (eg McGeady) and some we're yet to find out about (Henen, Niasse, Tarashaj, Rodriguez, Foulds, Holgate). Robles is a step up on Mucha, even if he's just a number two next season.

If you can't see some good things there you need Specsavers.

And? Two bottom half finishes on the bounce. You don't get a thing for how good your squad looks 'on paper'.

Sorry Mike, but part of a manager's job is to oversee comings and goings from a football club. I really do not get the argument that Martinez is somehow doing better than expected in that regard. Why? Well I'll refer you to the league table - or is that good enough for you?

And? Two bottom half finishes on the bounce. You don't get a thing for how good your squad looks 'on paper'.

Sorry Mike, but part of a manager's job is to oversee comings and goings from a football club. I really do not get the argument that Martinez is somehow doing better than expected in that regard. Why? Well I'll refer you to the league table - or is that good enough for you?

Explained that already, feel no need to do it again.

Bingo

I never play bingo, mugs game.

Our record in last 6 home games

DLLDLWLLLD

6 points from possible 30 and officially our worst home record in history!

But it's ok because we have only lost twice away

And there you have it. Unforgivable. And why have we suffered our worst season at home in 140 years? Because we have a manager in charge who is desperately out of his depth. No. Argument.

Explained that already, feel no need to do it again.

I never play bingo, mugs game.

You haven't explained anything. A large proportion of your posts come across as playing devil's advocate. Which, to be honest, I quite like - the world would be boring if we all agreed. But aside from that, your determination to argue with anyone having a pop at Martinez doesn't make much sense, it just comes across as arguing for the sake of it. And I say that on the basis that you keep saying your most intersted in EFC - so, please, set out once and for all your argument AGAINST saying that Roberto Martinez is not what is best for EFC? Because quite frankly I get a bit lost in what you are trying to say...

And there you have it. Unforgivable. And why have we suffered our worst season at home in 140 years? Because we have a manager in charge who is desperately out of his depth. No. Argument.

Again, this "at home" obsession is clouding the true picture. It way well be our worst season at home but (because of our away form) we're not going to be be relegated as we were in the past with better home results. Not close to it, was never a possibility.

No. Argument,

Again, this "at home" obsession is clouding the true picture. It way well be our worst season at home but (because of our away form) we're not going to be be relegated as we were in the past with better home results. Not close to it, was never a possibility.

No. Argument,

When were we last relegated?? How is that even relevant??

I'll ask you again- is what you are seeing at the moment, in your opinion, good enough for EFC?

Edited by nogs

When were we last relegated?? How is that even relevant??

I'll ask you again- is what you are seeing at the moment, in your opinion, good enough for EFC?

Of course not, but I've seen far worse unlike many on here, your "devil's advocate" point was spot on, delighted someone finally picked up on it!

I salute you.