IGNORED

Fourth Round Draw

MikeO

I hope it's Carlisle. Yeovil have too much history of being giant-killers in the cup.

Unless my memory is playing tricks, I remember (late 1940's, could be early 1950's) Yeovil getting to the third round - they were non-league then, and getting beat 8 - 0 by Man U.

Edit: Just checked, it was 1949.

Edited by johnh

Unless my memory is playing tricks, I remember (late 1940's, could be early 1950's) Yeovil getting to the third round - they were non-league then, and getting beat 8 - 0 by Man U.

Edit: Just checked, it was 1949.

That was before my time, John. Having googled it, though, it seems their most famous victory was indeed the one to which you refer.

I remember the late 60s and early 70s. Yeovil, still a non-league team, were feared giant-killers almost every year. As Mike pointed out, they had an infamous sloping pitch, which rather added to their aura.

"The Glovers - who have played in the Southern League, Alliance Premier League, Isthmian League and Football Conference – knocked 20 League clubs out of The Cup and reached the First Round Proper on no less than 49 occasions.

League clubs must have dreaded being drawn against them. The ones who fell to the plucky Glovers from Somerset were Bournemouth (twice), Crystal Palace (twice), Exeter, Brighton, Bury, Sunderland, Southend (twice), Walsall (twice), Brentford, Cambridge, Torquay, Hereford, Fulham, Northampton, Colchester and Blackpool."

http://www.thefa.com/news/the-fa-cup/2014/nov/yeovil-v-crawley-fa-cup-first-round-proper-preview

Nonetheless, there will be no upset this year.

That was before my time, John. Having googled it, though, it seems their most famous victory was indeed the one to which you refer.

I remember the late 60s and early 70s. Yeovil, still a non-league team, were feared giant-killers almost every year. As Mike pointed out, they had an infamous sloping pitch, which rather added to their aura.

I was a raggy-arsed 13 year old in Liverpool. I can clearly remember the Sunday Express match report which showed photo's of all eight Man U goals. Each photo had a clock face in the corner of the photo showing the time of the goal.

Carlisle are back playing at Brunton Park from today, but the new pitch sound a bit iffy. Their manager...

"We have a slight advantage in that we’ve trained on the new pitch.

“I have to say it does feel different. There are certain things which can catch you out, potentially, and it wouldn’t surprise me if York didn’t get here a little bit early to do a longer warm up on it. Our players will be less hesitant because they’ve been on there a fair bit.
“There are some unusual bounces and things you don’t expect, but it’s no different to the pitch we played on against Yeovil. That showed us we were able to adapt comfortably within a tight timeframe and that won’t change."

Nice gesture but couldn't the club just have donated £7,500 themselves instead of asking the fans to do it? It's only a days wages for one player after all, would hardly break the bank.

I may be a big football fan, but I am definitely NOT into donating to sport as a charity. With all the needy people in this world, why ever would I donate to a team to repair its pitch and offices? Frankly, that's what insurance is for.

I may be a big football fan, but I am definitely NOT into donating to sport as a charity. With all the needy people in this world, why ever would I donate to a team to repair its pitch and offices? Frankly, that's what insurance is for.

Whilst I do understand your point I think you have missed the point, the money would go to the clubs charities and not the club itself

"In consultation with Carlisle United, we have decided to do something to help and they have confirmed that any funds raised will go to their Community Sports Trust, itself a registered charity, to help the Club pick up its vital community outreach programme in the wake of the devastating floods.

The Community Sports Trust will also divide the monies raised equally with the club's official charity partners - Carlisle Key (a charity which works closely with disadvantaged and homeless young persons) and Hospice at Home (a charity which works closely with families dealing with serious illnesses and conditions)."

Whilst I do understand your point I think you have missed the point, the money would go to the clubs charities and not the club itself

"In consultation with Carlisle United, we have decided to do something to help and they have confirmed that any funds raised will go to their Community Sports Trust, itself a registered charity, to help the Club pick up its vital community outreach programme in the wake of the devastating floods.

The Community Sports Trust will also divide the monies raised equally with the club's official charity partners - Carlisle Key (a charity which works closely with disadvantaged and homeless young persons) and Hospice at Home (a charity which works closely with families dealing with serious illnesses and conditions)."

I appreciate the clarification. Thank you.