IGNORED

West Bromwich Albion (Home) Saturday February 13

markjazzbassist

We had the second most shots EVER in the PL for a side that still lost the game. So it gets worse, Shukes :(.

Should we be optimistic and say we were so close to breaking a record.

This week has really deflated me. So much promise, even the first half of this one we looked like we were about to tear them apart.

The second half we never looked like scoring.

well according the theory of evolution we should see some signs of progress because Martinez has had repeated challenges in breaking down teams who sit back. Time to show some "ideas".

I must say though WBA and Pulis in particular are a disgrace. Would love to see Pulis relegated.

Guest rusty747

well according the theory of evolution we should see some signs of progress because Martinez has had repeated challenges in breaking down teams who sit back. Time to show some "ideas".

I must say though WBA and Pulis in particular are a disgrace. Would love to see Pulis relegated.

How many times did Moyes set us up away from home to play exactly as WBA did?

I don't like it any more than anyone else but we need to concentrate on our own failings not WBA tactics. If we were good enough we would find a way to break them down. We didn't and and we aren't.

Guest rusty747

Say 2 of the shots that hit the woodwork actually went in and we won - would you say we had a decent game? We're taking such small margins here, any number of those shots could have ended up in the back of the net on a different day. I'm going to put this one down to bad luck and move on :rofl:

If this was the one game of the season where that was the case then I may well agree. But it isn't. We have dropped so many points to teams that we should beat routinely that there has to be something wrong with our mental set up. I watch most Everton games now in hope rather than belief and when you look at the talent we have, that has to be wrong.

Edited by rusty747

Like it or not these games happen. Absolutely battered them and were tremendously unlucky. For me the biggest issues from the match are the same two we have had all season. GK and Kone. Joel absolutely 100% at fault on the goal. Hes in no mans land moving toward a ball he has no business coming for. Looping header in the air for days and ends up in the net. Unacceptable. Howard would be toasted for that and rightly so. Terrible goal to concede. Kone complete and utter disaster. Should have been mirallas. Dont have any issue with Deulofeu for lennon or osman for mccarthy. Cant have 7 attackers need room to break them down, which we did. Just couldnt find the finishing touch.

Attack Bournemouth and advance. Get the win at villa. Massive massive game at Goodison vs West Ham. COYB

Like it or not these games happen. Absolutely battered them and were tremendously unlucky. For me the biggest issues from the match are the same two we have had all season. GK and Kone. Joel absolutely 100% at fault on the goal. Hes in no mans land moving toward a ball he has no business coming for. Looping header in the air for days and ends up in the net. Unacceptable. Howard would be toasted for that and rightly so. Terrible goal to concede. Kone complete and utter disaster. Should have been mirallas. Dont have any issue with Deulofeu for lennon or osman for mccarthy. Cant have 7 attackers need room to break them down, which we did. Just couldnt find the finishing touch.

Attack Bournemouth and advance. Get the win at villa. Massive massive game at Goodison vs West Ham. COYB

Robles wasn't 100% at fault, it was a crazy looping header that catches out keepers all the time - he might have done better but it was not a glaring fault in the way we have seen time and time again from Howard in his non dealing of balls "crossed into the 6 yard box". The player was allowed to go unmarked and walk in.

Again... Kone is Kone - not pretty, not a goal scorer but adds something that Rom should be doing as he did in the Derby and a couple of other games. Kone is a supplementary player for Rom - people are missing the bigger picture and this isn't me using the opportunity to slate Rom but he was not up for the game at all - he was bullied by Olsenn and wasn't interested in the contest at all.

Have a look at the stats on the Kone thread as to what happens to Rom when Kone plays. For me Kone is a pair of stabilisers for Rom and the time has come for Rom to be a big boy and do the bread and butter stuff to go with his goalscoring. I am not prepared to ban myself from Rom slating but seriously he has been very very poor since new year - time for the big lad to wake up.

As for Howard - I do not think there is any benefit in him playing for us again except to say goodbye and leave with good wishes.

In my opinion, that's absolutely crock of shit. Sorry.

Someone made this on GOT and it's perfect for this sort of explanation.

GAme_zpsxlog6p8y.png

But some basic football is missing here.

Firstly, there is no one on the posts. Rule 101 of defending set-pieces (especially those that can be scored directly or in-directly from where the placement of the ball is) you have two men covering the farthest reach of a GK, usually the posts. If we'd have had significant coverage on the posts, the goal would NOT have happened.

Secondly, McCarthy isn't tracking his man. It's obvious from his body position that the guy he is marking, is Rondon, he's even got his arm hanging out after realising he's let him get too far away from him. Just not close enough to put pressure on Rondon at all.

Thirdly, although this wasn't instrumental, Oviedo was marking Berahino (?) irrelevant of what happened next, you'd at least want to guarantee that Berahino has no hope of attacking/winning that ball, so why pick the smallest guy of that crop of players to mark him?

And lastly, coming for the ball? It looped up, he was backtracking, his position was set and good (for what would normally be a straight forward stop at that angle) but the ball loops wildly. He's already wrong footed and probably thinking it's going over. Not on Robles that. Although, he could have reacted just a second quicker, maybe could have put Rondon off. But the ball had all but crossed the line anyway.

Goal_zpswxtogkq2.png

The ball 99% of the time, on that angle, would be hitting that yellow box....which Joel would have covered in my opinion. The looped header again, was a fluke. It happens.

For me (watch it again), the first header should have been dealt with better by Mori, stepping in front of Olsson but the resulting looped header should not have been met by Rondon really because

a) James should never have lost him man and

b ) We should have had a man on that post to header it away.

Edited by Lowensda

Can't help but think that this is diverting us away from the real problem.

He (RM) is constantly making excuses of late, as for the reasons we didn't win, instead of addressing the issue of playing football and winning matches.

We lose. Injustice happens. Concentrate on one incident.

If we'd have won 3-1, you'd not have heard about the stamp incident.

The way we play isn't the problem, its the tempo. We play too slowly, passes should be zipped. I know this would cause a problem with Rom's first touch but watch the way Spurs play, every player who receives a pass is moving at 100 mph and most of the passes are forward. Too many of ours are sideways or (worse still) backwards. The slow tempo also allows teams to get men behind the ball even if they are not parking the bus. Teams have sussed us out and know exactly how we are going to play. In the games I have seen (TV) the opposition are happy to sit back and let us have possession as they know that as long as they keep their shape we are not going to hurt them.

The way we play isn't the problem, its the tempo. We play too slowly, passes should be zipped. I know this would cause a problem with Rom's first touch but watch the way Spurs play, every player who receives a pass is moving at 100 mph and most of the passes are forward. Too many of ours are sideways or (worse still) backwards. The slow tempo also allows teams to get men behind the ball even if they are not parking the bus. Teams have sussed us out and know exactly how we are going to play. In the games I have seen (TV) the opposition are happy to sit back and let us have possession as they know that as long as they keep their shape we are not going to hurt them.

Spot on really John. Not direct enough in open play. We don't punish other team's mistakes either. We give them opportunities to gather their thoughts and regain formation.

Spot on. We have no player capable of unlocking a defence either. Something Martinez has known needed seeing to since he arrived but has done absolutely nothing about.

People are working really hard to excuse Robles.

Sorry but I agree, he was at fault and if that was Howard we would be singing differently.

Praise where due and criticism where due.

Robles shouldn't have been focusing on one position, he is a premier keeper.

He also SHOULD have thrown his palm towards the ball instead of going down to anticipate the player.

People keep pulling stats to protect him.

.clean sheets etc.

West Brom fact. One shot, one goal.

I do think I am overly harsh on him, that's because I am weak....I really don't see much of a difference between him and Tim. None of them five me confidence in goal.

Joel slaps at just as many crosses....one of them will land at a forwards feet just like Tims.

I also noticed that due to Lukaku being a bit lazy against WB, a lot of his kicks went straight to them.

Is this because his kicks weren't as good as usual or, because Rom has been chasing them down and making them look better than they are?

Has anyone stated up crosses held compared to Tim?

First answer to all of this is goals conceded and Joel wins this one..

Which is arguably the most important stat to win.

His best attribute as someone else pointed out ( can't remember who) is that it could be his presence and voice making the biggest impact and giving his defense confidence.

West Brom was a drop form a height for us as we are all still raw from this present season so far.

I do believe our next performance will speak massive volumes about our team and about RM.

If there isn't a resounding win and performance then I will be joining the Roberto out campaign. As I do think now is the time for him to come out and show us that West Brom was a slip and not the story so far.

Over to you mister Martinez.

Edited by Shukes

Spot on. We have no player capable of unlocking a defence either. Something Martinez has known needed seeing to since he arrived but has done absolutely nothing about.

We have scored our most stunning goals when breaking gast and putting teams on the back foot.

Ross needs to learn this, he worries too much about keeping hold in the last third rather than driving them back and forcing the issue or a mistake.

In my opinion, that's absolutely crock of shit. Sorry.

Someone made this on GOT and it's perfect for this sort of explanation.

But some basic football is missing here.

Firstly, there is no one on the posts. Rule 101 of defending set-pieces (especially those that can be scored directly or in-directly from where the placement of the ball is) you have two men covering the farthest reach of a GK, usually the posts. If we'd have had significant coverage on the posts, the goal would NOT have happened.

Secondly, McCarthy isn't tracking his man. It's obvious from his body position that the guy he is marking, is Rondon, he's even got his arm hanging out after realising he's let him get too far away from him. Just not close enough to put pressure on Rondon at all.

Thirdly, although this wasn't instrumental, Oviedo was marking Berahino (?) irrelevant of what happened next, you'd at least want to guarantee that Berahino has no hope of attacking/winning that ball, so why pick the smallest guy of that crop of players to mark him?

And lastly, coming for the ball? It looped up, he was backtracking, his position was set and good (for what would normally be a straight forward stop at that angle) but the ball loops wildly. He's already wrong footed and probably thinking it's going over. Not on Robles that. Although, he could have reacted just a second quicker, maybe could have put Rondon off. But the ball had all but crossed the line anyway.

The ball 99% of the time, on that angle, would be hitting that yellow box....which Joel would have covered in my opinion. The looped header again, was a fluke. It happens.

For me (watch it again), the first header should have been dealt with better by Mori, stepping in front of Olsson but the resulting looped header should not have been met by Rondon really because

a) James should never have lost him man and

b ) We should have had a man on that post to header it away.

I respectfully disagree with you and Haf. First off i disagree with your premise that defending 101 calls for men on the posts. Absolutely not true and i am not arsed about that at all, plenty of folks support two men on the posts and plenty don't. I would much prefer to have two extra men able to win the header then have them trying to clear the ball off the line after its won by an opponent. McCarthy is irrelevant - ball was in with or without Rondon's influence. Joel was off balance and leaning to come get the ball, im not saying he left his line, but he was caught in two minds. Thats what led to him flailing like a fish as he tried to go collect the ball.

I guess my point is that, having been a defender for 15 years (and im not saying you didnt play - i have no idea), i fully expect my gk to punch that ball over the bar for another corner.

Having said all that, we defend corners like a sieve and its completely embarrassing. Ball never should have gotten to Joel but it did and he fucked up.