IGNORED

West Bromwich Albion (Home) Saturday February 13

markjazzbassist

Kone made sense...but then he played like a donkey.

Ossie coming on.

.I thought it was so someone would shoot on target..but again he never got a chance.

Gerry coming on mate sense...but not for our most effective player.

Geri coming on didn't make sense at all to me tbh. If we were going to only bother sticking with one winger then it had to be Mirallas that came on. Geri isn't a lot of use when a side is just sitting in, Kev is the better option in that scenario.

Guest rusty747

Happy with the starting eleven but we should have gone 4-1-4-1 second half, with Mirallas on for either McCarthy or Barry

Robles

Coleman Jags Mori Oviedo

Barry

Lennon. Barkley. Cleverley. Mirallas

Rom

Then it could have been Deulofeu for Lennon, still 4-1-4-1 and later, Kone for Cleverley, 4-1-3-2

Just seen the Kone for Cleverly sub. Doesn't quite make sense for me. Why leaving in 2 dms against a team that has no intent to attack?

Saw nothing but read Barry came closest to scoring. DM isn't DM when you spend all your time going forward, keep your best players on the pitch whatever their "designated" position is.

Saw nothing but read Barry came closest to scoring. DM isn't DM when you spend all your time going forward, keep your best players on the pitch whatever their "designated" position is.

Another load of rubbish. If you're attacking all the time, the your "best players" surely are ones that can go forward. We saw McCarthy fluff two decent chances today. Not an attacking player.

Another load of rubbish. If you're attacking all the time, the your "best players" surely are ones that can go forward. We saw McCarthy fluff two decent chances today. Not an attacking player.

Are you suggesting I've talked rubbish before? I resent that (though It's undoubtedly true).

Just wish I had your insight and knowledge, being right all the time must be great. FACT.

Spot on about McCarthy. Barry was passing pulling strings and trying to attack: McCarthy the yard dog didn't have anyone to tackle or press since we had the ball the whole time and he fluffed a few final third passes as well as shots. In that kind of match he was a liability. In a match like city or Arsenal he is needed.

Spot on about McCarthy. Barry was passing pulling strings and trying to attack: McCarthy the yard dog didn't have anyone to tackle or press since we had the ball the whole time and he fluffed a few final third passes as well as shots. In that kind of match he was a liability. In a match like city or Arsenal he is needed.

I can't say he was the worst on the pitch but he offers absolutely nothing in that type if game. The "big red loss" won't matter here though. He's the lynch pin to all our success.

But you have to think about the holes that are left if you remove these sort of players. You also have to think that the opposing manager won't just stand there thinking 'Oooh look, a nice big gap in their midfield'...they'll exploit it. So then the dynamics of the game change.

You can bring on a couple of extra attacking players in place of a couple of deeper players...but again, you leave a big gap. Not only that but the attacking players all try to occupy the same positions and 'stand on each others toes'. Then because their mindset is to 'attack', the instinct isn't to track back...so the gaps are there to be exploited.

The way we set up pins WBA back. The tactics weren't wrong. You don't get so much possession, shots, corners etc if the tactics are wrong. Everything was there...its upto the players to put the ball in the back of the net...and the tactics enabled them to have 30+ opportunities to do so.

It's just another shit result that this young squad need to learn from. But yeah, said that too often this season!!!

But you have to think about the holes that are left if you remove these sort of players. You also have to think that the opposing manager won't just stand there thinking 'Oooh look, a nice big gap in their midfield'...they'll exploit it. So then the dynamics of the game change.

You can bring on a couple of extra attacking players in place of a couple of deeper players...but again, you leave a big gap. Not only that but the attacking players all try to occupy the same positions and 'stand on each others toes'. Then because their mindset is to 'attack', the instinct isn't to track back...so the gaps are there to be exploited.

The way we set up pins WBA back. The tactics weren't wrong. You don't get so much possession, shots, corners etc if the tactics are wrong. Everything was there...its upto the players to put the ball in the back of the net...and the tactics enabled them to have 30+ opportunities to do so.

It's just another shit result that this young squad need to learn from. But yeah, said that too often this season!!!

McCarthy spent the best part of the game trying to be an attacker. He really has no business being up there.

Still annoyed about this game this morning.

34 attempts at goal, 76% possession... but how many clear cut chances did we actually create? Not many, especially in the second half. The fact we still haven't brought in a creative player for these type of games is really pissing me off.

Also, as soon as we went one behind Barkley dropped deeper and deeper to receive the ball, meaning he was nowhere near Lukaku like he was supposed to be which then meant that Lukaku also went wandering away from where he should be. Which then meant we had no fucker in and around the penalty area for when Lennon ripped his marker apart (time and time again) to put the ball in the box. It left me wanting to grab the pair of them and shake them. Someone needs to let Ross know that we have TWO players in Barry and McCarthy to get the ball from the defence. Another thing; has Oviedo fallen out with Ross or did Ross just have blinkers on yesterday? Because loads of times Oviedo was completely free and Ross ignored him, slowed things down, and then went the other way.

The subs are still killing me. All three were wrong for me. We needed a goal and Kone isn't even a decent goalscorer. I'd sooner have brought Mirallas on because he's a much better finisher and more likely to get you a goal. We could've brought Baines on and pushed Oviedo to the left wing. We could've taken Barry or McCarthy off and pushed Barkley back to the deeper role he seemed to be playing anyway, brought Pienaar on to play behind Rom because we needed a bit of craft.

Our changes weren't changes at all. It's like Martinez hasn't got a clue how to influence games with his subs any more. He had the options there to change it, to gamble seeing as we were losing anyway, but he didn't.

Edited by Romey 1878

I just wonder what the reaction would be if it was Howard who let that goal in? Robles was caught in no man's land, just hopping around and watching the ball go over his head and half flapping. Aweful.

When he's been doing it for the best part of 2 years and costing us points left, right and centre I'll have a good moan. Until then...

I just wonder what the reaction would be if it was Howard who let that goal in? Robles was caught in no man's land, just hopping around and watching the ball go over his head and half flapping. Aweful.

https://youtu.be/Hh2S6epxUlw

How dare you!

Robles is not Tim...should be ashamed of yourself to criticise him....sarcasm obviously :-)

Watched it a few times now and the header caught him out, but it was a lucky loop.

His reaction is weak for me though, he could have slapped at the ball but instead watches the player.....watch it again..

The ball is in reach.

But as others have said, Tim has been bad consistently. Let's give Robles a chance to show it was a one off.

To drop him now would be a hell of a kick on the balls..bit like when Ross was dropped for giving away a penalty.

Still annoyed about this game this morning.

34 attempts at goal, 76% possession... but how many clear cut chances did we actually create? Not many, especially in the second half. The fact we still haven't brought in a creative player for these type of games is really pissing me off.

Also, as soon as we went one behind Barkley dropped deeper and deeper to receive the ball, meaning he was nowhere near Lukaku like he was supposed to be which then meant that Lukaku also went wandering away from where he should be. Which then meant we had no fucker in and around the penalty area for when Lennon ripped his marker apart (time and time again) to put the ball in the box. It left me wanting to grab the pair of them and shake them. Someone needs to let Ross know that we have TWO players in Barry and McCarthy to get the ball from the defence. Another thing; has Oviedo fallen out with Ross or did Ross just have blinkers on yesterday? Because loads of times Oviedo was completely free and Ross ignored him, slowed things down, and then went the other way.

The subs are still killing me. All three were wrong for me. We needed a goal and Kone isn't even a decent goalscorer. I'd sooner have brought Mirallas on because he's a much better finisher and more likely to get you a goal. We could've brought Baines on and pushed Oviedo to the left wing. We could've taken Barry or McCarthy off and pushed Barkley back to the deeper role he seemed to be playing anyway, brought Pienaar on to play behind Rom because we needed a bit of craft.

Our changes weren't changes at all. It's like Martinez hasn't got a clue how to influence games with his subs any more. He had the options there to change it, to gamble seeing as we were losing anyway, but he didn't.

We created at least 7 clear cut chances that I can remember, that's not including hitting the post 3 times.

I don't think Barkley was too deep, as we were camped outside their penalty box for most of the game. I think the problem was that because they were so compact there was very little space for other players to move into.

I agree we need a player with x factor to win games like this for us, weather its Yarmalenko or Niasse I don't know.

As for subs, as I said I would give Martinez a C, I can understand Kone as he offered a more physical presence and often helps Rom's game if we had another striker he would have played instead. Jerry was a good choice due to his trickery and would have pulled extra defenders to him creating space, but this should have been done for McCarthy leaving 2 wingers, and should have been done a hell of allot earlier. Ossie was a Hail Mary.

Not too much wrong with the team or the effort, just one of those games.

We must not get too negative, we cant turn every misfortune into a wake and postmortem it will drag the team down. Yes we are right to complain about Howard playing when bang out of form, or Martinez not having a plan B. But we cant fault them when they give it their all and it just isn't meant to be.

Romey wrote

"Our changes weren't changes at all. It's like Martinez hasn't got a clue how to influence games with his subs any more. He had the options there to change it, to gamble seeing as we were losing anyway, but he didn't".

I agree

There is a lot of difference between how managers watch the game. It seems that Martinez stands in the technical area with his arms folded, talking to no one.

Other managers sit in the dugout with clipboard in hand having conversations with their assistants.

I think he should alternate between the dug out and technical area and when he is making changes talk it through to someone.

It seems everyone in the ground (booing the substitution of Lennon) posters on this board and the newspapers think all the substitutions were rubbish.

I'm sure if Martinez had talked the substitutions through with someone they would have been different and better.

A lot of good points here. The only thing I don't buy into is "we're really close now; learning from our mistakes; etc".

Bottom line is that we can't beat West Fucking Brom Fucking Albion. It doesn't matter if they park the bus, park a 747, park their mother-in-laws dirty disgusting stained panties......we should learn, assess, and adapt, but we don't. So does any team that goes ahead and just parks the bus beats us? I'm not just beginning to think this but really do think this: We are not top four material. GASP!!!!! No way, no how. I don't give a fuck how many stars this team has on it - we cannot perform in any consistent manner whatsoever. The teams that can do that are sitting in the top four right now, and we are light years away from that status. Things need to change, and that is the bottom line. Whether its a new manager, a new approach, new training coaches, new players, whatever....what we have is a team full of broken promises. Its very sad. Supporting this team is just a glutton for punishment. We are a Ferrari that is in desperate need of fixes and a tune-up with a driver that doesn't know how to operate a high-end performance car. Or something like that. FA Cup? Wake me up and pinch me when that happens.