IGNORED

Vincent Janssen

No thanks it's a goal happy league with shit defending. Jozy altidore had 20+ goals and so did Aron Johansson and neither have looked good in the premier league or bundesliga respectively.

To be fair, AJ has 2 goals in 6 app and has been injured the rest of the time. Won't be back until next season either.

No thanks it's a goal happy league with shit defending. Jozy altidore had 20+ goals and so did Aron Johansson and neither have looked good in the premier league or bundesliga respectively.

That Suarez, he was shite him.

I mean, you can't be serious? You have no idea and just decided he's not good enough. I gather Embolo is also out of question because the Swiss league is even worse?

I have no other idea except that Janssen is highly rated.

That doesn't mean he's a bad player, RVN, Ronaldo, Suarez, Bergkamp, van Basten and many others netted lots of goals in that league and were world class. Yes, we have seen the likes of kezman and a few others fail to replicate that form.

Either way scouts watch the player not look at stats.

That doesn't mean he's a bad player, RVN, Ronaldo, Suarez, Bergkamp, van Basten and many others netted lots of goals in that league and were world class. Yes, we have seen the likes of kezman and a few others fail to replicate that form.

And it would be as stupid transfer policy to only buy established players from the top leagues because they cost a lot of money.

20 years ago! I'm talking the modern era. Dirk Kuyt is a couple goals behind this guy as is De Jong the flop at Newcastle! Look at the last 5 years of top scorers not decades ago. You'll see the ones who have made it are Suarez. Bony is a mixed bag, and depay rides the bench. Altidore was a flop and AJ was 1 in 3 before inury (but bundesliga). Plus the 2 mentioned above.

In the modern era its a completely different setup than the old days and we have the Internet to scout everyone.

20 years ago! I'm talking the modern era. Dirk Kuyt is a couple goals behind this guy as is De Jong the flop at Newcastle! Look at the last 5 years of top scorers not decades ago. You'll see the ones who have made it are Suarez. Bony is a mixed bag, and depay rides the bench. Altidore was a flop and AJ was 1 in 3 before inury (but bundesliga). Plus the 2 mentioned above.

In the modern era its a completely different setup than the old days and we have the Internet to scout everyone.

Based on this logic we shouldn't go for Yarmolenko after all his fellow players from the soviet region like Shevchenko, Rebrov, Pavlochenko, Bilyaletdinov, zhirkov, all flopped, Arshavin was good for a bit. The fact that Kanchelskis is one of the best players I have seen in an Everton shirt is irrelevant.

another team may sign him for £12m or whatever and then when he is banging in goals and is worth £50m we won't be able to afford him.... that is where we are at.

so the reality is - that unless we are in a position to buy "proven quality premier league players" costing way in excess what they would have cost in another league then this is how we need to look at the market. Swansea spent £12m on Bony - he knocked in the goals for them (has one of the best minutes per goal ratios of existing prem players) and was sold for £28m.

The fact is Mark - you don't know whether he will be good or bad in the premier league based on historic dutch transfers. All we can do is look at the quality he displays against what is in front of him, assess his attributes and based on the asking price see if it is worth the chance.

Look at Payet for West Ham - £12m wasn't he - whats he worth now? £40m? a slight risk coming from French league given the likes of (cisse, plus half the Newcastle team, Boumsong, Mik Madar....

I dare say if United are sniffing then their scouts have been alerted and are intrigued enough by his qualities - one for the watch list for me. I'm neither excited nor disinterested - but I won't write him off till I know how he does in the prem.

Based on this logic we shouldn't go for Yarmolenko after all his fellow players from the soviet region like Shevchenko, Rebrov, Pavlochenko, Bilyaletdinov, zhirkov, all flopped, Arshavin was good for a bit. The fact that Kanchelskis is one of the best players I have seen in an Everton shirt is irrelevant.

another team may sign him for £12m or whatever and then when he is banging in goals and is worth £50m we won't be able to afford him.... that is where we are at.

so the reality is - that unless we are in a position to buy "proven quality premier league players" costing way in excess what they would have cost in another league then this is how we need to look at the market. Swansea spent £12m on Bony - he knocked in the goals for them (has one of the best minutes per goal ratios of existing prem players) and was sold for £28m.

The fact is Mark - you don't know whether he will be good or bad in the premier league based on historic dutch transfers. All we can do is look at the quality he displays against what is in front of him, assess his attributes and based on the asking price see if it is worth the chance.

Look at Payet for West Ham - £12m wasn't he - whats he worth now? £40m? a slight risk coming from French league given the likes of (cisse, plus half the Newcastle team, Boumsong, Mik Madar....

I dare say if United are sniffing then their scouts have been alerted and are intrigued enough by his qualities - one for the watch list for me. I'm neither excited nor disinterested - but I won't write him off till I know how he does in the prem.

yes exactly i'm not a huge Yarmo guy, disappeared against chelsea last match and he'll be playing teams like that every week instead of dnipro. bony has been a one season wonder, if he leaves in the summer we'll see if he can produce again like he did at swansea.

I actually like the french league, have recommended lacazette many times, quality player and the competition level is a lot higher there. i wanted us to sign payet.

look you think the dutch league is a great place to find talent, i don't, simple as that.

yes exactly i'm not a huge Yarmo guy, disappeared against chelsea last match and he'll be playing teams like that every week instead of dnipro. bony has been a one season wonder, if he leaves in the summer we'll see if he can produce again like he did at swansea.

I actually like the french league, have recommended lacazette many times, quality player and the competition level is a lot higher there. i wanted us to sign payet.

look you think the dutch league is a great place to find talent, i don't, simple as that.

I didn't say the Dutch league is a great place to find talent - I didn't say it wasn't either - I said that you can't determine a players success in the prem based on where he has come from, you need to judge him on his attributes and take a chance.

French league, Dutch league, English league, - a player isn't determined by where they come from they are determined by their ability and the application of that talent,

I didn't say the Dutch league is a great place to find talent - I didn't say it wasn't either - I said that you can't determine a players success in the prem based on where he has come from, you need to judge him on his attributes and take a chance.

French league, Dutch league, English league, - a player isn't determined by where they come from they are determined by their ability and the application of that talent,

I do advocate staying away from the Russian league though :unsure:.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

http://www.teamtalk.com/news/spurs-new-boy-janssen-only-good-enough-for-the-championship

It seems we may have had a lucky escape with this one.

Cascarino for ya - shocking pundit.

I watched him in a couple of games and his all round play is pretty damn good - seriously. The lad is as strong as an ox and he is bringing others into play - it seems to be what Pochetino is asking him to do. Proper gets stuck in and the goals will come. Lazy comparisons to saldado - nothing like him. He is more like Negredo - a defenders nightmare as he doesn't stop.

Not the fastest striker but technically he is very solid - like an old fashioned number 9.

Put it this way if Spurs offered him to us for £17m I would snatch their hands off. Watch this space.

Cascarino for ya - shocking pundit.

I watched him in a couple of games and his all round play is pretty damn good - seriously. The lad is as strong as an ox and he is bringing others into play - it seems to be what Pochetino is asking him to do. Proper gets stuck in and the goals will come. Lazy comparisons to saldado - nothing like him. He is more like Negredo - a defenders nightmare as he doesn't stop.

Not the fastest striker but technically he is very solid - like an old fashioned number 9.

Put it this way if Spurs offered him to us for £17m I would snatch their hands off. Watch this space.

The limited amount I've seen him he looks way out of his depth in the PL. He's strong but technically he looks rubbish, and can't make up for it with pace because a snail wouldn't struggle to beat him in a race. And if you don't like it when Lukaku throws his arms up in the air etc you should hate Janssen; he's at it that much it even pisses me off and I don't support Spurs!

The limited amount I've seen him he looks way out of his depth in the PL. He's strong but technically he looks rubbish, and can't make up for it with pace because a snail wouldn't struggle to beat him in a race. And if you don't like it when Lukaku throws his arms up in the air etc you should hate Janssen; he's at it that much it even pisses me off and I don't support Spurs!

hmmm not what I've seen - there's different views for ya.

proper will to win - a bit like naisy/cahill

then again 2 people I know who follow spurs - one loves him and thinks he will potentially push kane out and the other isn't sure as he wants a pacey striker.

• 2 months later...

I was led to believe that any striker would score loads of goals for spurs such is their creativity.

The reality is that he is doing the right things at the wrong time. He works hard and holds up play but he seems to be standing in line. He needs to be a bit more assertive.

I actually think the goals will come. As it stands he cost £4m more than niasse. Not quite the disaster he is.

It's difficult to come here and play every now and then. I haven't seen much of him but he looks like he puts a shift in when I have seen him without being too much of a threat... Not so bad if you are a centre half but it is when your a striker!

We've seen this happen all too often. He is put as a backup to Kane who is prolific and no matter what he is a back up player and I think he's trying too hard.

Technically I have seen nothing has that concerns me - he's a solid player. Far better than saldado. Lineker is a twat making that comment.

Some players like edin djecko can be a rotation player. Look at how sturridge was when he was a rotation/backup player.... he struggled.

This lad is new to the league and is young. I thought at the time £17m was a fair price. They could sell him back for £4m less... I'd stick with him.

He's a good player you could see that at Goodison when they came here. It's just not happening for him there.

When I've seen him he looks alright! Nothing that makes you think "he's shite". He will bang a couple in one game in open play and be ok... but he will not force kane out so it's a bad move for him.