IGNORED

Fraser Forster

The exact opposite argument has been used to explain why we would keep Stones. Personally, I don't like a blatant disregard of contracts. It means an end to loyalty, and those with the biggest pockets always get who they want. It seems that many others feel that way, given the positive reaction to us holding on to Stones last summer. Let's not kid ourselves: Our pockets will always be smaller than the Uniteds of the world and, frankly, I wouldn't want to buy our way to the top. We should play our ways there.

During our most successful period, the 80's, we bought our way to the top. Why are we too good for that now?

We aren't. Every team (virtually) buys their way to the top. Some buy more than others but unless you buy players you don't move forward.

During our most successful period, the 80's, we bought our way to the top. Why are we too good for that now?

We bought players for sure; but mostly cheap ones. We didn't "buy our way to the top" in the same sense that Chelsea/City did (which is what people mean by the phrase I think); we were closer to doing it the way Leicester did, and nobody has accused them of buying their way to the top.

We bought players for sure; but mostly cheap ones. We didn't "buy our way to the top" in the same sense that Chelsea/City did (which is what people mean by the phrase I think); we were closer to doing it the way Leicester did, and nobody has accused them of buying their way to the top.

Lineker was cheap? 800k pounds in 85 was cheap?

Found this because I posted it before...

Southall from Bury £150,000
Stevens through the ranks
Bailey from Blackburn £300,000
Van Den Hauwe from Birmingham £100,000
Ratcliffe through the ranks
Mountfield from Tranmere £30,000
Reid from Bolton (Can't find the fee but it wasn't much)
Steven from Burnley £300,000
Heath from Stoke £750,000
Sharp from Dumbarton £120,000
Gray from Wolves £250,000
Richardson through the ranks
Harper from Liverpool £100,000

Lineker was cheap? 800k pounds in 85 was cheap?

Transfer record was already close to £1.5m in the late seventies.

Found this because I posted it before...

Southall from Bury £150,000

Stevens through the ranks

Bailey from Blackburn £300,000

Van Den Hauwe from Birmingham £100,000

Ratcliffe through the ranks

Mountfield from Tranmere £30,000

Reid from Bolton (Can't find the fee but it wasn't much)

Steven from Burnley £300,000

Heath from Stoke £750,000

Sharp from Dumbarton £120,000

Gray from Wolves £250,000

Richardson through the ranks

Harper from Liverpool £100,000

Transfer record was already close to £1.5m in the late seventies.

To be fair we also spunked £100k on Sheedy

Did we?

Obviously not in the same sense as City and Chelsea, but we were wealthier than most. Though we bought bargains, we were a million miles away from the famine of the 90's and 00's were we had to sell our best players to buy more or even to stay afloat. From Mikes list we bought most of them players, only a handful through the ranks. We were buying good players all over the park.

I don't see the problem with buying talented players, United did it all of my life time, winning things is much nicer than losing our best players.

Edited by StevO

Obviously not in the same sense as City and Chelsea, but we were wealthier than most. Though we bought bargains, we were a million miles away from the famine of the 90's and 00's were we had to sell our best players to buy more or even to stay afloat. From Mikes list we bought most of them players, only a handful through the ranks. We were buying good players all over the park.

I don't see the problem with buying talented players, United did it all of my life time, winning things is much nicer than losing our best players.

In the sense that they spunked millions and we did it on a shoe string budget, yes I agree!

A shoe string in comparison to today, but they were still decent fees spent on players for that time. Not breaking record after record like we did in the Mersey Millionaires days, but decent money spent, titles won. They all count.

Agree to disagree, Adrian Heath was the only big buy at £750k (a then club record but very modest in comparison to other top flight clubs )

• 3 months later...