IGNORED

Grigoris Kastanos

i'm just saying matt. stones was 3m? holgate 1.5m? henen 1.5m? i notice a trend, youngsters are cheap. this kid doesn't play pro ball yet, so how can someone evaluate him when playing against scrubs?

Neymar was how much from the Brazilian league and how old? And scouts go to all levels of the game, as early as 7/8 years old on Sunday morning games.

Neymar was how much from the Brazilian league and how old? And scouts go to all levels of the game, as early as 7/8 years old on Sunday morning games.

yes i get it there are exceptions to the rule (neymar being one of them, soon to be Gabigol as well) but for that kind of money i would rather a proven player. Buy the cheap youngsters and have the law of averages work it's way. Spend the big bucks on proven players. What if this kid tears his ACL? Breaks a leg and is done? That's 17m all on one kid.

Just isn't a good transfer policy for me.

i'm just saying matt. stones was 3m? holgate 1.5m? henen 1.5m? i notice a trend, youngsters are cheap. this kid doesn't play pro ball yet, so how can someone evaluate him when playing against scrubs?

Henen, how many games has he played for the first team?

As for prices: Martial cost £36m, Moura cost £28m, Shaw £31m, Rooney was £28m all those years back.

Those youngsters who cost a few mil cost a few mil for a reason. You could just as well list cheap players of any age and conclude that you can sign good players cheaply so no point in paying over 10 million for anyone.

Henen, how many games has he played for the first team?

As for prices: Martial cost £36m, Moura cost £28m, Shaw £31m, Rooney was £28m all those years back.

Those youngsters who cost a few mil cost a few mil for a reason. You could just as well list cheap players of any age and conclude that you can sign good players cheaply so no point in paying over 10 million for anyone.

Haha and of those you listed only Rooney was good and it wasn't for long till he's not been class. Moura Shaw martial all busts as far as I'm concerned. You proved my point.

Haha and of those you listed only Rooney was good and it wasn't for long till he's not been class. Moura Shaw martial all busts as far as I'm concerned. You proved my point.

:rolleyes:

Ok, one example off the top of my head... Lukaku was about the same price coming from Anderlecht at the same age.

What point? That if you pay lots for a teenager he's bound to be shite but if you pay a paltry sum he's going to be great?

Just answer me this: do you think your logic (what ever it is) also holds true with "grown-up" players?

What point? That if you pay lots for a teenager he's bound to be shite but if you pay a paltry sum he's going to be great?

Just answer me this: do you think your logic (what ever it is) also holds true with "grown-up" players?

My logic is there is more margin for error with a youngster. Therefore you mitigate that with price. The margin of error is a lot lower with a 27 year old who's proven themselves in a top league. Are their outliers? Yes of course. But if you have 100m to spend id rather buy 100 18 year olds at 1m a pop than 4 at 25m a pop. its called money ball and I'm sure you'll pick up eventually it's based on statistics and sabremetrics.

That would work for a number of reasons: where do you find promising youngsters for a million? We already have good youngsters in our Academy, no point in paying money for lesser players. There really aren't that many young players to be had for little money any more. Cook for instance cost £7m, rising to £10m. Would you take players with a lot less potential? Selling clubs are not usually mugs either so why would they sell potential Premier League players cheaply?

And if the club did sign lots of youngsters what would they do with them? Release all the existing Academy players? Loan them all over like Chelsea do (treatment of some of their youngsters is really poor)? Chelsea do your moneyball thingy and how many of the youngsters they have bought now play in their first team?

And why pick an arbitrary number like a million while we are at it? Where did you get that price? Why not just sign players only on free? You seem to think that price doesn't matter so why pay anything at all?

Simply put there is a sweet spot.

The size of the fee is usually in line with the "probability" of them becoming a star.

If you are paying £40m for "potential" then you need to look at the market if you are paying £20m for an established player who has all the attributes and is already an international then fair enough.