IGNORED

Rotherham (Home League Cup) Wednesday August 29th

markjazzbassist

13 hours ago, Paddock said:

It’s about winning trophies- that’s what the fans want, that’s what the club needs. It’s essential we start winning silver ware again, until we do the club will sit in mediocrity. Yes the too 4 is the ultimate goal but to get there winning a cup along the way is what makes the board, coaching team, playing staff and fans believe in the project.

I do understand the value of winning, and for sure you understand much better than I the frustration of so many years without silverware; nonetheless, the chance that we'll achieve our goal increases significantly when we put all else aside in an obsession to reach it. I'd rather we established a lasting legacy in the top four than a flash in the pan League Cup final win that, after more years of drought, will come to ring hollow.

5 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

I do understand the value of winning, and for sure you understand much better than I the frustration of so many years without silverware; nonetheless, the chance that we'll achieve our goal increases significantly when we put all else aside in an obsession to reach it. I'd rather we established a lasting legacy in the top four than a flash in the pan League Cup final win that, after more years of drought, will come to ring hollow.

Is rather we did both

7 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

going by that then should we finish outside the Europa League spots until we are good enough to finish 4th? The Europa would be a distraction from achieving 4th would it not? To attract the players who will get us to 4th and above, you need to be winning silverware, playing in European football etc. I'm sure the players we signed this summer have done so on the back of a promise that we will be back playing European football soon and challenging for trophies, which in turn will attract better players once those goals are completed.

1 hour ago, aaron said:

going by that then should we finish outside the Europa League spots until we are good enough to finish 4th? The Europa would be a distraction from achieving 4th would it not? To attract the players who will get us to 4th and above, you need to be winning silverware, playing in European football etc. I'm sure the players we signed this summer have done so on the back of a promise that we will be back playing European football soon and challenging for trophies, which in turn will attract better players once those goals are completed.

Financially, we wouldn't succeed by doing what the rich clubs do anyway. This is why we need a strategy that is unique, and the best is to focus on youngsters. To answer your question, yes. We should not chase the Europa League when we're not ready. Just look at the last two occasions we were there, or look at Burnley this year. A poor record in the league hurts rather than helps our chances of recruiting top European players.