IGNORED

Rotherham (Home League Cup) Wednesday August 29th

markjazzbassist

22 minutes ago, nogs said:

Job done that. Making changes for cup games is fine when the players who come in play well and win... Good that Zouma and Digne got game time, great for DCL. Just wonder how many goals we're going to ship from corners before Silva abandons zonal marking? 

Really hoping he’s not Martinez stubborn about defending set pieces. I’m sure they actually practice zonal marking at least, but I don’t think our defenders are smart enough to ever get it.

Just got out the game- another goal conceded from a fucking corner. Zouma was good tonight as was Holgate. Echo reporting Gomez out for 3 more weeks at least, Bernard has a new muscle injury, Jagielka has a knee cartlidge injury, Gana has a kknock- fucking hell we’re like the walking wounded. 

Niasse missing that header was a bad joke. Inwas in the Upper Street End right in front of it- it was laughable.. we won with our rezzies though so not all bad.

20 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

I say this every year, and I know plenty disagree, but this is a Mickey Mouse cup that counts for precisely nothing. The prize money is pitiful, so financially it's better we focus on finishing one position higher in the league. No top team bothers to field anything other than a second string team, hence it's not unusual to see small teams progress further than they should. Frankly, we shouldn't waste first team players on it but instead use it as training for fringe players.

Gigi Buffon would say you have a garbage bin for a heart 😂

Seriously, there are realistically two competitions we can win each year - The League Cup is one of them. I want to win a damn trophy for once and if it means finishing 8th instead of 7th, so friggin be it. The PL is so rigged in favor of the top teams these days, that every team that doesn't anticipate a relegation scrap should be going all out for both cups.

21 minutes ago, Paddock said:

Just got out the game- another goal conceded from a fucking corner. Zouma was good tonight as was Holgate. Echo reporting Gomez out for 3 more weeks at least, Bernard has a new muscle injury, Jagielka has a knee cartlidge injury, Gana has a kknock- fucking hell we’re like the walking wounded. 

Niasse missing that header was a bad joke. Inwas in the Upper Street End right in front of it- it was laughable.. we won with our rezzies though so not all bad.

We are never the fittest team tbf. Always seem to be too many on the treatment bench at Finch Farm.

16 minutes ago, Quinn31 said:

Gigi Buffon would say you have a garbage bin for a heart 😂

Seriously, there are realistically two competitions we can win each year - The League Cup is one of them. I want to win a damn trophy for once and if it means finishing 8th instead of 7th, so friggin be it. The PL is so rigged in favor of the top teams these days, that every team that doesn't anticipate a relegation scrap should be going all out for both cups.

completely agree i'd rather finish 10th and win the league or FA cup than just finish 7th.

38 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

completely agree i'd rather finish 10th and win the league or FA cup than just finish 7th.

A decent win tonight, and I'm pleased we used mostly second-string players.

Look at this strategically. What, as a team, do we really want to do? What's our goal? What's our vision? What target are we shooting at? When will we know we've reached it? The answers to these questions should determine everything we do. Winning the pointless League Cup won't achieve anything except maybe a temporary glow until we realize it was barely worth the effort and serious teams are simply smirking.

The goal is to become a top four team and remain a top four team. Within that goal, we should aim to be number one and stay number one. This is a real goal, and it's achievable if we focus on it - and on it alone. With that in mind, the League Cup is a good way to learn whether second-string players are progressing, but that's about it. If it makes us tired for an upcoming weekend game, that's a negative. If it means we lose focus on the league, it's a bad thing. Focus, focus, focus. This is why finishing 6th instead of 7th is good, because we're getting closer to our goal. Finishing 10th and winning the League Cup means we're further from our goal and vision.

17 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

Bit slow in our play but that’s to be expected when you’re putting out a team with so many changes. Apart from our defending at set-pieces it was a very professional performance. 

Roll on the next round. 

I know it’s early and I know I’m being picky but our defending at set pieces has me terrified already- it needs to change because we will leak a lot of goals otherwise.

50 minutes ago, Paddock said:

I know it’s early and I know I’m being picky but our defending at set pieces has me terrified already- it needs to change because we will leak a lot of goals otherwise.

This is Martinez 2.0. Three years ago, many were calling for a defensive coach to focus on shoring up the defence. Would you go so far as to suggest that already with Silva?

Quite fitting Davies captained last night. 

From the OS, 

Everton’s attendance for Wednesday night’s Carabao Cup tie with Rotherham United is the Club's highest in this stage of the competition for 50 years.

The 31,972 crowd at the Grand Old Lady is the biggest seen at a League Cup round two fixture on home soil since 1968.

That clash in the September of that year, watched by an attendance of 35,477, saw the Blues beat neighbours Tranmere Rovers 4-0, with the great Alan Ball on target alongside fellow Everton Giant Joe Royle.

Alan Whittle – the uncle of Tom Davies, captain for the night against Rotherham – rounded off the scoring with a brace.

58 minutes ago, pete0 said:

From the OS, 

Everton’s attendance for Wednesday night’s Carabao Cup tie with Rotherham United is the Club's highest in this stage of the competition for 50 years.

The 31,972 crowd at the Grand Old Lady is the biggest seen at a League Cup round two fixture on home soil since 1968.

That clash in the September of that year, watched by an attendance of 35,477, saw the Blues beat neighbours Tranmere Rovers 4-0, with the great Alan Ball on target alongside fellow Everton Giant Joe Royle.

Alan Whittle – the uncle of Tom Davies, captain for the night against Rotherham – rounded off the scoring with a brace.

flying round twitter that it was actually higher than that! the number was dropped so we don't have to share as much money with Rotherham! Not sure I believe that though.

27 minutes ago, aaron said:

flying round twitter that it was actually higher than that! the number was dropped so we don't have to share as much money with Rotherham! Not sure I believe that though.

At £15 a ticket I'd be surprised if that was the reason. But I wouldn't be surprised if the attendance was higher. Few ticketing issues with the mobile app apparently plus loads still at the box office buying on the day at kick off. 

11 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

Look at this strategically. What, as a team, do we really want to do? What's our goal? What's our vision? What target are we shooting at? When will we know we've reached it? The answers to these questions should determine everything we do. Winning the pointless League Cup won't achieve anything except maybe a temporary glow until we realize it was barely worth the effort and serious teams are simply smirking.

The goal is to become a top four team and remain a top four team. Within that goal, we should aim to be number one and stay number one. This is a real goal, and it's achievable if we focus on it - and on it alone. With that in mind, the League Cup is a good way to learn whether second-string players are progressing, but that's about it. If it makes us tired for an upcoming weekend game, that's a negative. If it means we lose focus on the league, it's a bad thing. Focus, focus, focus. This is why finishing 6th instead of 7th is good, because we're getting closer to our goal. Finishing 10th and winning the League Cup means we're further from our goal and vision.

Steve you do realise the last 5 winners of the League Cup have been Man City (x3), Man Utd and Chelsea, don't you? Big teams aim to win everything. 

11 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

Where does the notion that winning a trophy, something we’ve not managed for 23 years, is pointless come from?

I think you need to wake up and smell the coffee , we are not going to finish in the top 4 this season, but why would winning the league Cup detract from our league performances?

This competition is our most realistic hope of ending the drought and whether you like it or not the facts are it is a worthwhile achievement

We need the players to build a winning mentality, it breads confidence ,and boosts morale ,that we can take into the league performances 

Again whether you like it or not European football is a must if you want the club to grow and to attract the best players, this competition gives us that

3 hours ago, pete0 said:

From the OS, 

Not bad for a Mickey Mouse competition let’s try and win the thing I for one would love a day out at Wembley. 

I acknowledged at the outset that plenty disagree with me, and I'm not trying to convince anyone; instead, I'm explaining my reasoning. To succeed, whether as individuals, companies, or teams, we must have a clear vision, a clear strategy, and ensure all we do is consistent with that strategy. What people often overlook is that it's important to decide what not to do as much as what to do. If something distracts from the goal, then avoid it.

Rotherham has had a rotten season so far, but I have to say their manager is focused. Here are his words after the game, explaining why he rested some of his team instead of playing them: "I don't regard making all those changes as weakening the team. It isn'tt like I've been offensive to the cup, I've got another big game Saturday." Let me repeat his reasoning: he has a big game on Saturday. He understands priorities, has a strategy, and is doing what's needed to achieve his principal goal. Let's see whether Rotherham's standing in the league improves as a result.

44 minutes ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

Where does the notion that winning a trophy, something we’ve not managed for 23 years, is pointless come from?

I think you need to wake up and smell the coffee , we are not going to finish in the top 4 this season, but why would winning the league Cup detract from our league performances?

This competition is our most realistic hope of ending the drought and whether you like it or not the facts are it is a worthwhile achievement

We need the players to build a winning mentality, it breads confidence ,and boosts morale ,that we can take into the league performances 

Again whether you like it or not European football is a must if you want the club to grow and to attract the best players, this competition gives us that

Totally agree win the league cup and finish 6th what a positive start for Silva and the squad that would be in the 1st season, I’d even go in fancy dress as Mickey Mouse if I thought it would get us there, after tasting nothing for the last 22 years the league cup would be massive step in the right direction. 

1 hour ago, Cornish Steve said:

I acknowledged at the outset that plenty disagree with me, and I'm not trying to convince anyone; instead, I'm explaining my reasoning. To succeed, whether as individuals, companies, or teams, we must have a clear vision, a clear strategy, and ensure all we do is consistent with that strategy. What people often overlook is that it's important to decide what not to do as much as what to do. If something distracts from the goal, then avoid it.

Rotherham has had a rotten season so far, but I have to say their manager is focused. Here are his words after the game, explaining why he rested some of his team instead of playing them: "I don't regard making all those changes as weakening the team. It isn'ttt like I've been offensive to the cup, I've got another big game Saturday." Let me repeat his reasoning: he has a big game on Saturday. He understands priorities, has a strategy, and is doing what's needed to achieve his principal goal. Let's see whether Rotherham's standing in the league improves as a result.

It’s about winning trophies- that’s what the fans want, that’s what the club needs. It’s essential we start winning silver ware again, until we do the club will sit in mediocrity. Yes the too 4 is the ultimate goal but to get there winning a cup along the way is what makes the board, coaching team, playing staff and fans believe in the project.

Good post Paul agree with most of it bar Cenk and Holgate 

I've never thought Tosun would be a prolific goal scorer tbh but I do think once he bags a goal he'll hit double figures here, as many strikers do he just needs that first goal but one thing about the lad is he offers a great deal besides goals 

His hold up play is great and brings others into the game well and doesn't let his head drop, very valuable player 

Holgate is a brilliant young CB in my eyes, the lad out on their left side in the second half tried to run him down a few times and he kept up and forced things in our favour with clever defending

Strong for his size and doesn't shy away from getting stuck in, I think his biggest attribute is the one that carried John Terry for years longer than his legs should have let him and that's how he reads the game

People talk of some of the other English CB's being targets and great players etc but to me we've had one on our hands for a while and he'll only get better imo

17 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

Achievable if we double our annual revenue as a club, assuming no growth in resources to the top 6 or big continental clubs. And that puts it at unlikely.

3 hours ago, TallPaul1878 said:

Really not sure of Holgate, but then I'm set in my ways. I prefer my centre half to be 6ft+. I think he would do much better alongside a Jagielka but 10 years younger. I've always been a big fan of Jags and it's a shame to see him age and struggle a bit.

Cenk is great with his back to goal. Receives the ball well, turns and plays it every time. Problem is he doesn't have either the strength or the pace to drop his defender once turning. He is never going to do that and will have to rely on the give and go then getting into the box.

I get what you mean with both of these. Holgate is better than his size would suggest though. He might not be a powerhouse but he is relatively strong and very good in the air. At the moment he just isnt going to go through 90 mins without making a sizable mistake or creating a ripple that puts the rest of the team off kilter. He is another Michael Keane. 

Tosun is a toughie. He does a lot of good, hard work and is a very good finisher but he isnt giving himself enough chances. He doesnt create anything for himself so he needs to be the one finishing the move but at the moment he isnt. Its early days though, everyone is still getting used to Silva and I am sure he will start getting himself more goals in time.