IGNORED

Apostrophe test.

MikeO

I'm sure that this will prove supremely unpopular/minority interest  but I thought I'd stick it up, being a pedant and all (as my result confirms:D). Very annoyed that I got one wrong:mad:.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/5BrQRSTxg6cslZKcrMnfc40/the-apostrophe-quiz?intc_type=promo&intc_location=sport&intc_campaign=radio4_apostrophequiz&intc_linkname=radio4_rm_mid_c3

Capture.JPG

1 hour ago, pete0 said:

7/10 although I clicked the wrong one for Chers/Cher's by accident. 

Not bad considering I just about scraped a GCSE C. More of a science/maths kinda a man. 

Not too shabby at all Pete. Some apostrophes are difficult but when people make simple errors I climb on my horse (not on here/internet so much as it's a generational thing, the BBC themselves screw up often enough).

First thing that got me was many moons ago when my local was selling four pint takeaway containers for after closing time, if you wanted the container for future use the sign behind the bar gave a price for, "Jug's on it's own" .  Currently we have a small bowl in the bathroom which in many ways is a lovely object but it says on the side, "For all the small thing's".

I know it's not easy on some occasions but most of the time it is. 

1 hour ago, MikeO said:

Not too shabby at all Pete. Some apostrophes are difficult but when people make simple errors I climb on my horse (not on here/internet so much as it's a generational thing, the BBC themselves screw up often enough).

First thing that got me was many moons ago when my local was selling four pint takeaway containers for after closing time, if you wanted the container for future use the sign behind the bar gave a price for, "Jug's on it's own" .  Currently we have a small bowl in the bathroom which in many ways is a lovely object but it says on the side, "For all the small thing's".

I know it's not easy on some occasions but most of the time it is. 

Cheers Mike 👍

Quite poor when you see it on an item. Reminds me of The Apprentice this year, one of the tasks was to make a children's comic and they never even checked it for spelling mistakes. 

That jar one must be intentional just to wind you up. Surely no one is that bad ha. 

On 27/10/2018 at 16:05, Formby said:

9/10 here, but I'm not really accepting the Jesus' / Jesus's decision. The Chicago Manual Style says both can be used, and I've had the latter accepted in novels, so I'm giving myself 10!     

Chicago Style is not UK grammar rules! Next, you'll be telling me that quotation marks go after "a full stop".

6 hours ago, Matt said:

Man’s team? No way that’s right. 

It's "men's team" in fact but I agree that there are two answers there that could be correct so a bit of a mistake by Auntie.

"The men’s team found little..." would mean the team of men doing the searching found little.

"The mens team found little..." would refer to the team employed by a group of men to do the searching for them finding little.

I also agree with @Formby that either answer is acceptable in the Jesus question. 

8 hours ago, MikeO said:

It's "men's team" in fact but I agree that there are two answers there that could be correct so a bit of a mistake by Auntie.

"The men’s team found little..." would mean the team of men doing the searching found little.

"The mens team found little..." would refer to the team employed by a group of men to do the searching for them finding little.

I also agree with @Formby that either answer is acceptable in the Jesus question. 

As far as I'm concerned, the Beeb got it right in every case. :)

Dear Tom,
I want a man who knows what love is all about.
You are generous, kind, thoughtful.
People who are not like you admit to being useless and inferior.
You have ruined me for other men.
I yearn for you.
I have no feelings whatsoever when we're apart.
I can be forever happy.
Will you let me be yours?
Becky.

Punctuation is a funny thing because...

Dear Tom,
I want a man who knows what love is.
All about you are generous, kind, thoughtful people, who are not like you.
Admit to being useless and inferior.
You have ruined me.
For other men, I yearn.
For you, I have no feelings whatsoever.
When we're apart, I can be forever happy.
Will you let me be?
Yours,
Becky.

7 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

Dear Tom,
I want a man who knows what love is all about.
You are generous, kind, thoughtful.
People who are not like you admit to being useless and inferior.
You have ruined me for other men.
I yearn for you.
I have no feelings whatsoever when we're apart.
I can be forever happy.
Will you let me be yours?
Becky.

Punctuation is a funny thing because...

Dear Tom,
I want a man who knows what love is.
All about you are generous, kind, thoughtful people, who are not like you.
Admit to being useless and inferior.
You have ruined me.
For other men, I yearn.
For you, I have no feelings whatsoever.
When we're apart, I can be forever happy.
Will you let me be?
Yours,
Becky.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Eats-Shoots-Leaves-Lynne-Truss/dp/0007329067

Since we're getting into the subject of words and grammar, I'm a bit of a geek in this area. I'm always on the lookout for words that I term 3-3-3 (9-letter words that consist of a sequence of three letter words). For example, rat-ion-ale, for-got-ten, Sin-gap-ore. Rarer are words that are 1-3-5/2-4-6. For example, lounge (lug+one) and friend (fin+red).

What about this? It's another of my favorites:

Wants pawn term dare worsted ladle gull hoe lift wetter murder honour itch offer lodge dock florist. Disc ladle gull orphan worry putty ladle rate hut end cluck, and fur disc raisin pimple colder ladle rat rotten hut...a nervous sausage bag ice. :)

1 hour ago, Cornish Steve said:

What about this? It's another of my favorites:

Wants pawn term dare worsted ladle gull hoe lift wetter murder honour itch offer lodge dock florist. Disc ladle gull orphan worry putty ladle rate hut end cluck, and fur disc raisin pimple colder ladle rat rotten hut...a nervous sausage bag ice. :)

Works best if you try a German accent with it!