IGNORED

Players good enough for top 4

19 minutes ago, Finn balor said:

Digne would establish himself quickly in all the top 4s starting eleven 

Assuming all fit and well, I would have Robertson, Mendy and Azpilicueta ahead of him. Davies/Rose would be debateable. 

I like him a lot but I dont think he is *that* good. He cost us a fair amount of goals last season as well as creating us a lot. He is certainly one of the best left backs in the league but I dont think he would be a top 4 shoe in.

7 minutes ago, Bailey said:

Assuming all fit and well, I would have Robertson, Mendy and Azpilicueta ahead of him. Davies/Rose would be debateable. 

I like him a lot but I dont think he is *that* good. He cost us a fair amount of goals last season as well as creating us a lot. He is certainly one of the best left backs in the league but I dont think he would be a top 4 shoe in.

mendy can't string together 2 games back to back and you'd have him over Digne?  you drunk?

2 hours ago, Bailey said:

Obviously everyone has an opinion but the Chelsea lad who I can’t even be bothered spelling is a defender that’s it. Offers nothing going forward. Mendy? Played about five games in the prem so no idea what your talking about on that one. Robertson? He looks good going forward in a system that allows it. Why did Milner play so long at left back? Because they had to introduce a style of play to allow Robertson to fit in. Cough cough buy van Djjk 

On 08/07/2019 at 19:37, Aidan said:

The same Silva that inherited the dregs of Martinez, Koeman and Walsh that needed time to assess the group and implement a style of play. A style of play that is still shoe-horned. I dont believe Silva still even has the players to implement the style that he wishes, look at Gylfi - our 'star' player who I beleive Silva is fitting into the system purly because he is our maquee player.

Split the season into two halves and you will see the bigger picture and the work in progress. A world cup meant a jaded pre season, with most of our transfers coming in on the last day of the season. Rome wasn't built in a day.

More productive in terms of goals and assists. That's essentially the same as saying Gana is more productive going forward for us than Gomes is - because he got more combined goals and assists, when you look at the bigger picture that is clearly not the case.

The dregs are all loaned out. We got Digne, Zouma, Richarlison, Gomes and Bernard. Add to that a fully fit Coleman and Keane, plus DCL had gained more experience. Yet with all this Silva only managed to get 5 more points and no further up the league. 

We started off brightly, so I don't think the implementating a style of play was a problem. Only one who took a bit of time to adjust was Bernard but he was still useful, would sort of add Sigurdssen too but he's not struggling to adapt he's just not suited to the role he's being asked to do. After Xmas the upturn come thanks to meeting a few teams at the right moment and playing DCL up top, the latter being a decision that took the manager too long to make. 

Gomes was he got the same amount of assists (2) but edges Gana as he scored a goal too. Is expect in most teams the CM to be more productive than their DM. 

On 11/07/2019 at 22:06, Finn balor said:

Obviously everyone has an opinion but the Chelsea lad who I can’t even be bothered spelling is a defender that’s it. Offers nothing going forward. Mendy? Played about five games in the prem so no idea what your talking about on that one. Robertson? He looks good going forward in a system that allows it. Why did Milner play so long at left back? Because they had to introduce a style of play to allow Robertson to fit in. Cough cough buy van Djjk 

Not a bad defender though... and he can play CB, and he actually has a good delivery on him. Its all they banged on about at Chelsea for a while when it was him putting it on the head of Morata.

Mendy is a real quality player if he can stay fit. He has everything you want from a modern day full back. If you havent watched much of him that isnt an argument to say he isnt better or as good as Digne.

Robertson was very good at Hull too. Pretty sure he was also injured. Hell we started last season with Baines and Baines came in for a game when Digne was injured. That's not really much of a valid argument IMO, especially when one was part of the 2nd best defence in the league that came 2nd in that league and won the CL. The argument was he would walk in to those teams.

On 11/07/2019 at 22:08, Finn balor said:

Any u think rose and Davies are debatable? I bet poch would swap them in a heartbeat 

He would have had the same chance as us to buy him, probably greater seeing as they had CL football so maybe Poch wouldn't afterall.

Again I will reiterate my point in that the top 4 teams wouldnt just drop the players they have for Digne. In reality there isnt a lot between them all and it wouldnt surprise me if he is paid as much, if not more, than most of them as well.

1 minute ago, pete0 said:

Gana or Gomes? 

Gomes is more productive - just not in terms of goals or assists. Was reading an analysis on him the other day and it was showing how influential he was in the build up play for us with 2nd assists and forward pass %s etc. Cant find the article now so youll just have to take my work for it ;)

16 minutes ago, Aidan said:

Gomes is more productive - just not in terms of goals or assists. Was reading an analysis on him the other day and it was showing how influential he was in the build up play for us with 2nd assists and forward pass %s etc. Cant find the article now so youll just have to take my work for it ;)

I assumed Gomes but was confused as he scored more goals (just the one mind).  

Trust you're right. Good player Gomes, reminds me of Arteta. 

25 minutes ago, Shukes said:

Only a few days ago the point that no one had bid was proof he isn’t good enough.

Humility is a tough trait.

Economics 101, the Vichery auction, the true value is that of the second highest bidder. 

Personally I'm not arsed how much the club gets for him. I'll just be happy he's no longer in the first team. 

18 minutes ago, pete0 said:

Economics 101, the Vichery auction, the true value is that of the second highest bidder. 

Personally I'm not arsed how much the club gets for him. I'll just be happy he's no longer in the first team. 

That’s hilarious mate. Got to admit, you do have a great sense of humour.

2 hours ago, Aidan said:

Don’t need the article mate that is plain to see by anyone that Gomes offers the team so much more than Gana, what amazes me is those who would say differently, but it is a game that courts wildly different opinions and more recently the blind😎

13 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Don’t need the article mate that is plain to see by anyone that Gomes offers the team so much more than Gana, what amazes me is those who would say differently, but it is a game that courts wildly different opinions and more recently the blind😎

Don’t think many would say Gana offers more than Gomes. But as others have said, the two seem to compliment each other.

But if we can get an upgrade in Gana to go alongside Gomes, I think each and every fan will be happy.

But then I would be happy if we sold Gomes tomorrow and brought an upgrade too. 

9 minutes ago, Shukes said:

Don’t think many would say Gana offers more than Gomes. But as others have said, the two seem to compliment each other.

But if we can get an upgrade in Gana to go alongside Gomes, I think each and every fan will be happy.

Easy Tiger we only bought him last week 😀 given time with a better partner he could be heading for our Hall of fame he’s potentially that good in the right team. 

26 minutes ago, Shukes said:

This!!!

30 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Easy Tiger we only bought him last week 😀 given time with a better partner he could be heading for our Hall of fame he’s potentially that good in the right team. 

Oh I love you guy, but you know what I mean. I’ll be happy to replace any player with better.

But Gomes is a player I think we could be building a team around. I’ve even told the missus she can have his poster on our ceiling.

1 minute ago, Shukes said:

Oh I love you guy, but you know what I mean. I’ll be happy to replace any player with better.

But Gomes is a player I think we could be building a team around. I’ve even told the missus she can have his poster on our ceiling.

😂😂😂 good advice I might try that with my mrs. 

3 hours ago, pete0 said:

Economics 101, the Vichery auction...

Spelling 101, the Vickrey auction;).

But as that's not the system used for football transfers it's a bit irrelevant. Used virtually nowhere other than between stamp collectors in fact researching it, probably a good reason for that.