IGNORED

The Run-in and Europa

Will we qualify for Europa  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Will we qualify for Europa

• No
    • Yes regardless of City's Ban (5-7th place depending on FA cup results)
    • Yes only if City's Ban is upheld (5-8th place depending on FA cup results)

49 minutes ago, Elston Gunnn said:

I’m still thinking about this season, but the run-in part, not the Europa part.  Finish as high as possible, top half, long shot for 7-8, and if 7th gets us Europa, fine.  We can still move up, but only if we take 3 points away to both Wolves and Sheffield United.  Unlikely, and realistically, we’re closer to 14th than to 9th.  Goodison opponents are weaker teams, though Southhampton will see Thursday’s match as big opportunity in their goal to finish top half.  And Villa and Bournemouth will be desperate to stay up.

With matches coming every 3 days, squad rotation is a big issue.  I guess Gomes, Davies, Sigurdsson are the CMs, so can’t start all 3.  If Gordon continues to impress, he’s a candidate for starting every match.  Give Digne a break soon, start Baines.  Give Coleman a break, if Kenny is available.  If absolutely necessary, play Cuco over Sidibé, who should get some time at RW, but is no RB.  How long is Holgate out?  Are we down to Keane and Mina for remainder of season?  Let Kean start for one of the strikers, sub him out in second half if he looks lost.

Any chance Bernard would be more effective as a 10 than on wing?  Clever dribbler, maybe passer, but he is too easily physically overmatched isolated on wing.

Squad rotation will be a big problem for us over the coming games. Gomes already looks leggy, Coleman is surely going to need to be rotated and if Richarlison keeps getting lumps kicked out of him, he probably will too.

Im not sure Digne needs a break though, he has hardly been rampaging forward and he is in good form. If necessary I'd rather have Baines rotate with Coleman on the right given that the other options to play RB are... erm... dreadful.

The midfield is a problem, a huge problem. Davies doesnt seem to cope with playing 2 games in 3 days, Siggy doesnt do anything anyway and Gomes is getting worse with every game. I would say Iwobi has much for going for him in midfield than Gordon. He might have run around a bit last night but he is weak and naive (as you would expect for a player of his age) and I don't see that being a position he can hold down.

In respect of Bernard, I would argue the opposite. If they are kicking lumps of Richarlison when he drops into the 10 position, they will break poor little Bernie.

Ha!  No, no, no.  I thought he was with us until season’s end, but I guess without an interim contract extension, he’s free to sign with Barça, Dortmund, PSG, whomever.

So, is Kenny eligible now?  Don’t know whether Coleman can last with matches so jammed up, and Sidibé’s no RB.  Bailey posted above that he might want to see Baines to relieve Coleman at RB.  I’ll hope Kenny can rejoin us for July.

16 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

might as well just close this thread, we need to fight to just get top 10 and get as much TV money as possible.

16 hours ago, Bailey said:

Maybe we just need to change the name to the run-in and the top 10 challenge! 

Four wins would possibly be enough hope not dead yet; being read the last rites though.