IGNORED

Crystal Palace (Away) Saturday September 26th

markjazzbassist

19 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

I'll preface this by saying I'm a little bit worse for wear, but I am fucking loving all of this you know.

We didn't play that well today and yet I wasn't worried watching it. When Palace got the equaliser I just knew we'd go again and I felt confident we could get another goal. When Palace were on top at 1-1 I wasn't worried and didn't even care if they did grab another. I believe in this team and our manager, I believe that if we take a hit we won't stay down anymore but will get back up and have another go. We've got grit now, we've got confidence, we've got creativity, we've got fight, we've got goals.

This. Feels. Different.

To all those saying it shouldn't have been a penalty... bla, bla, fucking bla. That's how it's being applied this season and Palace got one that went their way last week, it's just been applied consistently. Penalty, three points to us. End of story. Goodnight. Take the win and stop being fucking weirdo's because sure as night follows day we'll have something go against us soon enough and no one will go to bat for us over it.

No Romey, this doesn't feel different, this feels like 1984, I think we're on the cusp of great things. Looks like we've finally got a manager who's identified our weaknesses and has the respect of our owners, Carlo seems to be the one choosing the players that we buy, not Brands.

Meant to post this after Spurs as well, the one thing I wish we had (now that we have a good squad and world-class manager :) ) is the 'game killer'. When we're up by a goal in the 80th minute we don't have anyone at the club to come on and kill the game. It looks like Delph is going to assume that role but he doesn't fill me with confidence. We'll see how it goes. 

Watched the entire game and am relieved (and surprised) we won three points. This new penalty rule is going to cause uproar, because there's no way defenders should be penalized for something outside their control. It's making a mockery of the game. Still, I'd rather we win than lose three points because of it - but it's tough on Roy Hodgson, who's managing a very solid team.

There were no stars for me this weekend, although there were sparks of brilliance. James' chip back to Coleman, and the latter's threading the needle with his pass to DC-L (for the opening goal) were something special. Richarlison is proving this year to be a hard worker with none of the play-acting and diving from last season. Keane is showing us why we bought him in the first place; his confidence is coming back. Coleman is impressing me, I must say, and is a worthy captain right now.

There are some concerns, though. I know some raved about Gomes in this game, but I don't see it myself. To me, he's the weakest link in an increasingly strong midfield. He plays some good and imaginative balls, but too often he slows down the tempo right when we should be picking up the pace. Often, his passes are made simply because they can be, not because there's a reason for them.

Iwobi was very disappointing. In fairness, though, he needs time to prove himself, so I hope he starts with our B-team again against West Ham. There's a good player in there somewhere (same thing with Kean), but we can't judge them based on 10-minute cameo appearances. Sigurdsson offers nothing to me - never has bar his set-piece goals. I'd much rather we give more playing time to Gordon.

Mina is baffling. There are times when I think he's dominant but that's counter-balanced with poor decision-making. If we're to make one more purchase this window (in addition to having a bargain-basement sale to offload a horde of deadwood), it needs to be another CB. Before the season began, I was concerned about right back, but Coleman's performances so far have eased my mind in that regard.

I'm very pleased to see Walcott being moved to the periphery, and the same with Delph. When we compare them against this summer's signings, we see painfully clearly just how poor some of our past decisions have been. I'm so glad we now have a quality manager instead of the likes of Koeman and Silva (and, of course, Crooked Sam). We're on the up and up, but there's absolutely no room for complacency. We're going to have to work hard for every point, but this group of players appear to have that mentality.