• Lampard
    • Nuno
    • Gattuso
    • Potter
    • Favre
    • Fonseca
    • Kovač

15 hours ago, RuffRob said:

Other managers I think are currently not with a team are Farve, Fonseca and Kovac. Not saying I want any of them or if they are looking for a job but might help pad the sad looking list out a bit. 

I remember looking at Favre in the summer. I don't really see why he shouldn't be high on our list if we are looking for a European manager.

8 hours ago, RuffRob said:

Give Ferguson the next 4-5 winnable games and take some proper time talking to other managers and or a DoF. This give us a good month to talk to others rather than panic buy now and give somebody else a 3 year contract. Ferguson currently knows this collective of players better than anybody at the moment so is actually best placed for the next month in any case. 

If he wins a decent points tally and the team ups the performance, we still have option of him taking us to the end of the season or still bring somebody else in - you never know who becomes available in this time. More likely to get a manager between seasons rather than mid season and also more choice.

I would much rather this than give it to him until the end of the season straight away.

4 hours ago, RuffRob said:

Having made a final and a semi in the last two tournaments, England have done far better than a higher quality Belgium team during his time as an international manager.  

I would argue that not only do England have a far superior pool of players than Belgium but Belgium won the third place game in the WC against England and IMO were consistently more of a threat to Italy in their play off game than we were to them.

For example the Belgium team against Italy consisted of:

Courtois

Alderweireld

Vermaelen

Vertonghen

Meunier 

Tielemans

Witsel

T Hazard

KDB

Doku

Lukaku

They brought on Mertens, Praet and Chadli.

If you were creating a team out of the two sets of players, I am not sure how many of the Belgian players you would have. Probably just KDB and Tielemans.

38 minutes ago, Bailey said:

I would argue that not only do England have a far superior pool of players than Belgium but Belgium won the third place game in the WC against England and IMO were consistently more of a threat to Italy in their play off game than we were to them.

Semi final and runners up is better than semi final and third.  My point is Martinez has not done anything particularly 'specially' or amazing with this golden generation of Belgium players. 

He was chased and hounded out of Goodison by the fans in 2016. If a few Benitez out banners is bad, a 'Martinez out' banner was flown over the stadium in 2016 He has done nothing in club football since we got shut of him so I am at a lose why all of a sudden some fans and the people within the club think he could just walk back in an be our savour in a potential relegation battle. I really can't see Goodison 'rocking' as a returning Roberto Martinez leads the time back out on the the pitch. His very last dealing with the club was when he took us to court to make sure he squeezed every last million out of us. 

I just can see one single thing reason why anybody would want Martinez to come back to the club. 

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2016/may/12/everton-roberto-martinez-wigan-parallels

This article pretty much summed Martinez up at the end. He is so far removed for the man needed to come in a shore up a team who are shipping goals in all over the place, especially from set pieces. 

18 hours ago, StevO said:

I understand where you’re coming from, but the club can’t take that stance. It’s kamikaze!

The immediate future has to be securing a place in the Premier League for next season. It would be catastrophic for the club to be relegated. 

18 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

We just sacked the manager to try and save us from the relegation we were heading for, not to then go “ah well, it doesn’t actually matter if we go down.”

I don’t think people realise just how fucked we’d be if we got relegated.

18 hours ago, StevO said:

Exactly. We go down, we struggle to get back up, our wage bill (even with relegation wage cuts) absolutely cripples us if we aren’t back the next year, our best players leave, the stadium stops or is built significantly smaller if they are past the point of no return. We would be in serious serious trouble. 

16 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

Exactly. What's the financial impact again? About #75 million, I believe. The right manager is worth the price.

Not naive, know full well what the ramifications would be. And I'm in no way suggesting I want it to happen of course. The club is completely lost right now. Completely. The only way out of this is to solve the dynamics between the owner, board and next director of football. We need:

• Moshiri to step back from footballing decisions
  • The board to effectively serve as the caretaker of the club whose sole focus should be on the health of the organization (financial, stadium, community). Again no decisions that directly impact the first team/football.
  • A Director of Football whose given the authority and autonomy to do his/her job correctly and prioritizes the academy as a vehicle to bring players through. 
  • A manager who truly truly truly understands the ethos of the club. Look at the track records of the manager's we've sacked. They're great managers they just weren't right for this club. 

I think the only way to begin this process is to appoint Dunc or Rooney as manager. Moshiri can't meddle with them because they weren't his first choice (he's always chasing the big name) and both are true Evertonians who the fans would back. The board will stay out of Dunc/Wayne way so as not to be seen as a hurdle to progress under Evertonian leadership and frankly I'd expect Dunc/Wayne to feel more comfortable having a go at the board behind closed doors than any of the outside managers we've had. And Dunc/Wayne would also likely embrace the importance of the academy, and DoF structure which would reduce the power struggle we've seen in appointing managers and signing players.  

Clubs like Villa, West Ham, Newcastle and even Watford have been able to bounce right back with more stability after being relegated, but of course you run the risk of becoming the next Sunderland, Wigan, Blackburn or Bolton. 

2 hours ago, RuffRob said:

Semi final and runners up is better than semi final and third.  My point is Martinez has not done anything particularly 'specially' or amazing with this golden generation of Belgium players. 

He was chased and hounded out of Goodison by the fans in 2016. If a few Benitez out banners is bad, a 'Martinez out' banner was flown over the stadium in 2016 He has done nothing in club football since we got shut of him so I am at a lose why all of a sudden some fans and the people within the club think he could just walk back in an be our savour in a potential relegation battle. I really can't see Goodison 'rocking' as a returning Roberto Martinez leads the time back out on the the pitch. His very last dealing with the club was when he took us to court to make sure he squeezed every last million out of us. 

I just can see one single thing reason why anybody would want Martinez to come back to the club. 

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2016/may/12/everton-roberto-martinez-wigan-parallels

This article pretty much summed Martinez up at the end. He is so far removed for the man needed to come in a shore up a team who are shipping goals in all over the place, especially from set pieces. 

Don't get me wrong, we are both very much on the same hymm sheet when it comes to Martinez coming here, but it doesn't mean I don't think he is a half decent coach. 

The route England had to the final was about as easy as it could get. If Belgium had that same run, do you not think they would have made it to the final as well? Ultimately they both went out to the same team, but I would definitely back Martinez to out-coach Southgate on the day. That isn't exactly an endorsement I know! 🤣

3 hours ago, AlbanyNYToffee said:

• Moshiri to step back from footballing decisions
  • The board to effectively serve as the caretaker of the club whose sole focus should be on the health of the organization (financial, stadium, community). Again no decisions that directly impact the first team/football.
  • A Director of Football whose given the authority and autonomy to do his/her job correctly and prioritizes the academy as a vehicle to bring players through. 
  • A manager who truly truly truly understands the ethos of the club. Look at the track records of the manager's we've sacked. They're great managers they just weren't right for this club. 

I don’t think anyone would argue against this, apart from the great managers we sacked as I didn’t notice them, but I don’t see much of that happening any time soon.