IGNORED

Boulaye Dia

3 minutes ago, Bailey said:

Dyche regularly talks about his wingers being deep to help out the fullbacks and that means the striker is going to be isolated more often than not.

When we play teams that can push us back, I think it is very likely that we will still need a long out ball where the striker is going to have to fight for everything. They will either need pace or strength, or both. If they don't the ball will just come straight back again. I don't see us playing out from deep positions very often!

Based on the past, yeah I'd agree with that. But he's said himself he adapts to the players he has available and until now we don't know what his Everton will be. 

3 minutes ago, Bailey said:

Dyche regularly talks about his wingers being deep to help out the fullbacks and that means the striker is going to be isolated more often than not.

When we play teams that can push us back, I think it is very likely that we will still need a long out ball where the striker is going to have to fight for everything. They will either need pace or strength, or both. If they don't the ball will just come straight back again. I don't see us playing out from deep positions very often!

His hold up play and possession (albeit mostly on the wing in videos I've seen) have looked impressive and seem like they would work pretty nicely as an outlet for the style of play that most assume Dyche will want to employ. 

5 minutes ago, Matt said:

Based on the past, yeah I'd agree with that. But he's said himself he adapts to the players he has available and until now we don't know what his Everton will be. 

I think we can be fairly sure that Everton next season are going to be very similar to last season. If you are expecting it to be much different, you will be disappointed!

You all know that the club may be looking for more options to attack? I mean rather than buy a carbon copy of Dom, we may actually be looking at ways of switching up play.

Can see it now. It’s not working today with Dom up top…. Let’s bring Dom2 on and see if that works.

Or… and this may be way out there…. Let’s bring on a different option. 
I don’t think any of us know what style Dyche will play.

I would be more than happy if we played the same style he did last season, but with more quality. I prefer exciting football rather than passing to sideways and backwards just to keep possession.

21 minutes ago, Shukes said:

You all know that the club may be looking for more options to attack? I mean rather than buy a carbon copy of Dom, we may actually be looking at ways of switching up play.

Can see it now. It’s not working today with Dom up top…. Let’s bring Dom2 on and see if that works.

I would be more than happy if we played the same style he did last season, but with more quality. I prefer exciting football rather than passing to sideways and backwards just to keep possession.

Exactly this. Having a DCL replica would make us too one dimensional. We need a Plan B that suits the system that Dyche wants to play but also adds something a bit different to Plan A. 

37 minutes ago, Shukes said:

We had a different option in Maupay last season it didn’t work, because the team was set up to play using a forward like DCL, so to get a player in the plays a similar game to DCL completely makes sense, especially as we have now got Danjuma who can offer a different option if required. But as Bailey has said we will be playing the same system and style as we did last season with Dyche. And we wouldn’t be looking for a Dom replacement as a must if Dom played a decent part of a season. 

7 minutes ago, Palfy said:

We had a different option in Maupay last season it didn’t work, because the team was set up to play using a forward like DCL, so to get a player in the plays a similar game to DCL completely makes sense, especially as we have now got Danjuma who can offer a different option if required. But as Bailey has said we will be playing the same system and style as we did last season with Dyche. And we wouldn’t be looking for a Dom replacement as a must if Dom played a decent part of a season. 

Tbf, I don't think Maupay is a great barometer for success. He should've scored at least a few goals with some of the chances he got. I agree with the last sentence though. 

14 minutes ago, Sibdane said:

Tbf, I don't think Maupay is a great barometer for success. He should've scored at least a few goals with some of the chances he got. I agree with the last sentence though. 

No he wasn’t some would argue that it was because we didn’t play to his strengths but played more to the strengths of DCL which we did, but even so playing with 1 or 2 around him he would still have been poor as proved in the friendly against Wigan. Now we have Danjuma we can change the style if required for a much better version of Maupay, but for me Dia would be too close to Danjuma and miles away from DCL who is the player in the squad with the most potential to get goals in our system, yet the player who is most likely to play less due to injuries, that’s why we need to try and find a forward with similar attributes. 

37 minutes ago, Palfy said:

No Palf…. Maupay was just shit, no other way to look at that one.

Having another Dom is the essence of trying the same thing that doesn’t work over and again. You know the rest. 

Now if we’re replacing Dom, that’s a different story. But I would guess the club are going to try their best to get him fit and playing matches.

2 minutes ago, RPG said:

If we are not going to be replacing DCL he needs to be involved in at least one pre season game I think. We can’t start the season with our main striker still out injured, can we?

I agree. I’m hoping they have some kind of plan. I’m sure they have, but it is a little worrying.

Just wish they would give us an update. Let us know he is on a staged plan or something.

I disagree, I think you want a back up striker to fit a very similar profile to your main man. You can't go changing your whole game plan if one player gets injured. Like we were last season, you would be fucked. Maupay didn't fit at all and nor did Simms. Gray's pace gave us something, more akin to being able to stretch defences like Dom can, but not a lot. 

After your main two strikers, that is when you start looking at your options and what other qualities they can bring to the team. That might be for a one off game, or just as an option off the bench to bring something different. 

We’re not Man City Bails. We just can’t reasonably have that. We need to have a first team, then squad players who are able to adapt to a few different positions and styles. 
We’ve failed for the last ten years to have a plan B. It’s about time we tried to change that trend for me.

But as always, I could be wrong and our manager and dof will be deciding what they want. 

Will be interesting to see where we go with this either way.

2 hours ago, Shukes said:

No Palf…. Maupay was just shit, no other way to look at that one.

Having another Dom is the essence of trying the same thing that doesn’t work over and again. You know the rest. 

Now if we’re replacing Dom, that’s a different story. But I would guess the club are going to try their best to get him fit and playing matches.

It didn’t work in the last 2 seasons because he hardly played, but when he did you could see the difference in how better the team played, that’s why need a similar player to cover him because the odds are he will more likely struggle again this season. 

29 minutes ago, Shukes said:

We’re not Man City Bails. We just can’t reasonably have that. We need to have a first team, then squad players who are able to adapt to a few different positions and styles. 
We’ve failed for the last ten years to have a plan B. It’s about time we tried to change that trend for me.

But as always, I could be wrong and our manager and dof will be deciding what they want. 

Will be interesting to see where we go with this either way.

I don't see what Man City have to do with it. If its to do with having 3 options, I am not saying they are likely to be quality ones! Look at Dyche's Burnley. Thry had Barnes, Wood as the main two (Weghorst after) with Rodrigues and some other feller (Vydra?) After that as options.

We haven't had a plan A, let alone a plan B. Let's just walk before we can run. Get some consistency in our style of play and then we can look at how we mix it up, when its a choice rather than out of necessity.

11 minutes ago, Palfy said:

It didn’t work in the last 2 seasons because he hardly played, but when he did you could see the difference in how better the team played, that’s why need a similar player to cover him because the odds are he will more likely struggle again this season. 

Not think that could be because Dom was twice the player of anyone he was replacing? Having a player of quality makes a huge difference to any team. 
We need a player to cover him with a similar (or better) level of quality, not necessarily the same skill set. 

2 hours ago, StevO said:

Not think that could be because Dom was twice the player of anyone he was replacing? Having a player of quality makes a huge difference to any team. 
We need a player to cover him with a similar (or better) level of quality, not necessarily the same skill set. 

Exactly. We get another Dom, but less quality and we’re going down the same path. We need to do what we’ve been saying for years and think of a plan B. 

Being predictable isn’t a good thing.

17 hours ago, Bailey said:

I think we can be fairly sure that Everton next season are going to be very similar to last season. If you are expecting it to be much different, you will be disappointed!

It's Everton, of course I'm going to be disappointed. But until the window is closed, I'm not going to assume anything. 

12 hours ago, Shukes said:

Exactly. We get another Dom, but less quality and we’re going down the same path. We need to do what we’ve been saying for years and think of a plan B. 

Being predictable isn’t a good thing.

I would love us to be a bit predictable for a while! 🤣

I can’t see us changing formation this season as last night we will go 4 5 1, when 3-4 other first teamers are available, the system won’t change to a 442 or a 352 we go at stages in a game to 4141. The only thing that will change will be the players the set up will remain the same. We still desperately need someone who can play the lone striker role if Dom isn’t available. 

7 hours ago, Palfy said:

I can’t see us changing formation this season as last night we will go 4 5 1, when 3-4 other first teamers are available, the system won’t change to a 442 or a 352 we go at stages in a game to 4141. The only thing that will change will be the players the set up will remain the same. We still desperately need someone who can play the lone striker role if Dom isn’t available. 

We played 442 from the minute Dyche put Doucoure back in the team. 

See this to hear it from the man himself. 

43 minutes ago, StevO said:

We played 442 from the minute Dyche put Doucoure back in the team. 

See this to hear it from the man himself. 

We didn’t Steve at best we played sometimes a 4411 with Doucoure, if you watch the games Doucoure played in for Dyche he was in our area defending a lot, he wasn’t hanging around just inside our half with the our forward when we never had the ball, he was deep in our half or in our penalty area not in a front position. Doucoure is super human when it comes to hardworking and will often break at pace from a defensive position into a forward position, Iwobi also has the ability to break quickly turning defence into a attack, and that’s what Dyche wants, and that’s why Iwobi started every game last season under Lampard and Dyche, even though 90% on here were saying he’s shite. 

Or he starts players because we have such a poor squad that there aren’t any other options. 🙄

Ffs the manager even started Maupay. Even though most on here say he is useless. Maupay must actually be a great player…. It’s just the fans aren’t qualified to notice it. 

2 minutes ago, Shukes said:

Or he starts players because we have such a poor squad that there aren’t any other options. 🙄

Ffs the manager even started Maupay. Even though most on here say he is useless. Maupay must actually be a great player…. It’s just the fans aren’t qualified to notice it. 

So Iwobi is shit yet he started every game last season and romped TT motm and was voted players player of the season, wobble ya head mate. 

1 hour ago, Palfy said:

We didn’t Steve at best we played sometimes a 4411 with Doucoure, if you watch the games Doucoure played in for Dyche he was in our area defending a lot, he wasn’t hanging around just inside our half with the our forward when we never had the ball, he was deep in our half or in our penalty area not in a front position. Doucoure is super human when it comes to hardworking and will often break at pace from a defensive position into a forward position, Iwobi also has the ability to break quickly turning defence into a attack, and that’s what Dyche wants, and that’s why Iwobi started every game last season under Lampard and Dyche, even though 90% on here were saying he’s shite. 

Can call it 4411 all you like, the manager calls it 442. 

12 minutes ago, StevO said:

Can call it 4411 all you like, the manager calls it 442. 

That’s was what he was saying at Burnley when he kept mentioning the only decent season they had when he was there, but he hasn’t played 442 with us maybe because he’s not had 2 forwards to put together so not saying he won’t given the right opportunity, but here he’s played 1 forward up front and hasn’t played Doucoure as a forward, he’s relied or allowed him using his energy to try and join the front man when he can from the midfield.