IGNORED

Scott McTominay

On 10/06/2023 at 19:34, Bailey said:

McTominay is really solid in a lot of areas without being a standout and he would come in and be our best midfielder. If he was at a smaller club coming through there would be a very different perception of him. 

I agree, maybe not your £40 -£60M quality midfielder that would drive you to titles and top 4 positions. But we are a long way from that - we need solid dependable players that would keep you out of a relegation battle. We have tried running before we can walk type of transfers in the past. Nothing wrong in stabilizing as a club, with some sensible purchases. I am sure he would need hardly any adjustment time already Prem proven and lives in the area.

Next season all I crave stability. That will hopefully keep us on a even keel going in to the new stadium. 

10 hours ago, RuffRob said:

I agree, maybe not your £40 -£60M quality midfielder that would drive you to titles and top 4 positions. But we are a long way from that - we need solid dependable players that would keep you out of a relegation battle. We have tried running before we can walk type of transfers in the past. Nothing wrong in stabilizing as a club, with some sensible purchases. I am sure he would need hardly any adjustment time already Prem proven and lives in the area.

Next season all I crave stability. That will hopefully keep us on a even keel going in to the new stadium. 

I could honestly see a player like him going to another club outside of those top 4 or 5 and being the mainstay of their midfield for years. He is captain material too.

20 hours ago, Palfy said:

He would make a perfect replacement for Gana and if you compare their stats they are not to dissimilar, some slightly worse and some slightly better. 

I think Tyler Adams would be a much better replacement for Gana.  His stats were mostly better than McTominay's - especially for tackles, blocks, and interceptions, where he was one of the best in the league this year.  In fact, he was top 5 in the league in tackles and top 10 in tackles+interceptions even though he missed the last 11 matches. Adams is also 2 years younger.

4 hours ago, Bill said:

Adams  Done his hamstring in march and hasn't played since, would be silly to sign him without seeing him play  5 or 10 games or more. 

and given the situation we are in we have to limit our risks on any players we buy. We can't currently afford expensive fuck ups. That is one good thing that improved last summer was buying players that in the main stayed relatively injury free and fit. Gardner was the only player that was a little unlucky on that front. I think that still needs to be at the forefront of any signings this summer - players who are robust and generally injury free. 

7 hours ago, AnotherYank said:

I think Tyler Adams would be a much better replacement for Gana.  His stats were mostly better than McTominay's - especially for tackles, blocks, and interceptions, where he was one of the best in the league this year.  In fact, he was top 5 in the league in tackles and top 10 in tackles+interceptions even though he missed the last 11 matches. Adams is also 2 years younger.

They are could stats on the defensive side of his game, and has to be expected in many ways that a DM in a team that is near the bottom of the league is going to have a hell of a lot of work to do in that position, so you would expect his stats to higher than someone in the same position for a top 4 team. But I take nothing away from him he still had to put the performances in. What is a little disappointing with him is his stats in the opposition half of the pitch such as shots on and off target, assists, big passes or crosses in a build up to goals, all very weak. 

8 hours ago, AnotherYank said:

If Tyler Adams wasn't from the USA (or the UK), folks would be talking less about him on this forum.

You cite he was top 5 in tackles and top 10 in interceptions+tackles... but guess who was ahead of him in both categories? Gana.

Further more, I do not think Adams is in the top 10 for tackles+interceptions... in fact I do not think he is in the top 20 for interceptions...

44 minutes ago, plaidharper said:

If Tyler Adams wasn't from the USA (or the UK), folks would be talking less about him on this forum.

You cite he was top 5 in tackles and top 10 in interceptions+tackles... but guess who was ahead of him in both categories? Gana.

Further more, I do not think Adams is in the top 10 for tackles+interceptions... in fact I do not think he is in the top 20 for interceptions...

On tackles, Adams was 4th (89) in the league and Gana was 3rd (97).  I think if you add the tackles and interceptions then he would be in the top 10 (35 interceptions + 89 tackles) in the league, but no, he is not in the top 20 for interceptions (cut-off is 45), but that's not a claim in the original post. For context, Gana had 56 interceptions, so 153 tackles and interceptions vs. Adams' 124 in 11 less matches.  

Don't really care about the stats as they doesn't necessarily determine who's a good player, but I wanted to add some context. I like Adams a lot, but I do worry about his injury history. I think it's time to start looking beyond Gana though, he's getting up there in age and he's regressed a little bit. 

EDIT: since this is the McTominay thread, he had 32 tackles and 14 interceptions, but that's obviously skewed by the amount of minutes he played. 

I think Adams has looked a fairly solid player as well, at least when I have seen him. He was good at the World Cup albeit, always a bit skeptical of international performances.

Personally, I think Gana had a poor season. He definitely had good moments but his overall performances have been erratic. I don't expect that from someone of his experience.

8 minutes ago, Bailey said:

I think Adams has looked a fairly solid player as well, at least when I have seen him. He was good at the World Cup albeit, always a bit skeptical of international performances.

Personally, I think Gana had a poor season. He definitely had good moments but his overall performances have been erratic. I don't expect that from someone of his experience.

Age catch’s up with everyone as you well no Bailey, I can’t see next season being any better for him, you need Duracells shoved up your arse if you want to play in Dyche’s team and he turns 34 this year I believe. So will be interesting to see who we get if anyone this summer to bolster the MF up, I would be happy with McTominay and with Adam’s as well all though I have seen something that said Leeds have put him at £35m which well above what we could afford. 

52 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

Aaronson is the American I'd have from Leeds. I like him a lot.

Fell off a little bit towards the second half of the season... but who didn't at Leeds. The manager changes didn't help. 

1 hour ago, Bailey said:

I have a sneaky feeling that if Adams hadn't have been injured the last part of the season then it would be Leeds that stayed up over us, but we'll obviously never know for sure if that's the case. 

3 hours ago, plaidharper said:

This could be a good thing though. Gana was one of our most relied on players this season and it shows in his stats. 

Bring someone in like Tyler could be the perfect foil for him. Learning from a player like Gana is perfect for a younger player. And if his stats are already up there towards Gana’s level, then that’s a good thing surely.

What are his pass completion stats like. This is what coaches are going to be looking at. Miles per game is also another top one.

I haven’t really saw much of him if I’m honest…. So taking others words for it.

2 hours ago, Shukes said:

This could be a good thing though. Gana was one of our most relied on players this season and it shows in his stats. 

Bring someone in like Tyler could be the perfect foil for him. Learning from a player like Gana is perfect for a younger player. And if his stats are already up there towards Gana’s level, then that’s a good thing surely.

What are his pass completion stats like. This is what coaches are going to be looking at. Miles per game is also another top one.

I haven’t really saw much of him if I’m honest…. So taking others words for it.

Gana had 84.5 vs. 82.4 for Adams. 

5 hours ago, Sibdane said:

Fell off a little bit towards the second half of the season... but who didn't at Leeds. The manager changes didn't help. 

I have a sneaky feeling that if Adams hadn't have been injured the last part of the season then it would be Leeds that stayed up over us, but we'll obviously never know for sure if that's the case. 

And if DCL didn’t miss most of the season we would have been close to top 10. 

23 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

Aaronson is the American I'd have from Leeds. I like him a lot.

I like him and Gnonto (I know he isnt American before someone says it). They should have scored more goals with those two. Aaronson surprised me with how good his feet were. Really good dribbler and in tight spaces.