IGNORED

Israel

Cornish Steve

24hrs to evacuate 1.1m people is absolutely ridiculous as are the replies to the calls for more time. 24hrs is a token gesture to save face before you eradicate the area, regardless of who's there. 

Unless Israels leadership really has snapped thinking it can get away with anything now the US has, once again, verbally backed it in public. 

This is going to get so much worse before it gets better. Displacing a million people into areas that are hot spots for terrorist groups is just going to feed the army of Hamas.  

Side question for you, Steve. A serious one if you're willing. As a Catholic, I was raised to believe 1 true God, only Christanity is the right way etc etc. If I remember correctly you're faith is of Christian denomination right? If so, why are you so defensive of another, older, religion? Other than it being the right thing obviously, but would the same passion apply to Buddhism for example? 

Complex and potentially fraught question, feel free to tell me to sod off.

1 hour ago, Matt said:

Never been much of a fan of his, but it's a message that needs attention.

Vengeance is all that is being discussed from political leaders of both sides, peace is not an option that’s even on the table, there will be years if not decades of bloodshed to come and that’s only if they can find common ground for peace in future, the past couple thousand years of history don’t bode well for a peaceful future. 

On 13/10/2023 at 03:09, Matt said:

Side question for you, Steve. A serious one if you're willing. As a Catholic, I was raised to believe 1 true God, only Christanity is the right way etc etc. If I remember correctly you're faith is of Christian denomination right? If so, why are you so defensive of another, older, religion? Other than it being the right thing obviously, but would the same passion apply to Buddhism for example? 

Complex and potentially fraught question, feel free to tell me to sod off.

You're right that I'm a mainstream Protestant Christian. While I embrace all statements in the historic Christian creeds (e.g., the Nicene Creed), I'm much more left-wing than today's vocal Christians. The church worldwide used to be very left-wing, but the influence of the American church has moved it significantly to the right and pulled it away from its roots. This is relevant to your question.

Jesus was a Jew. His disciples were all Jews. All Christians in the first generation of the church were Jews, and they continued to attend the synagogues. Only when Constantine made Christianity the religion of Rome did the great shift occur to non-Jews. Today, of course, a big majority of the church are non-Jews. Jesus' teachings were firmly rooted in the Jewish traditions (and the Sermon on the Mount should be required reading). He put it succinctly: He didn't come to abolish or change the Law but to fulfill it. I would put it this way: The Old Testament Jewish Law was not so much a prescription for living as a description of a person. The Jewish Law was a pointillist image, where Jesus was the full picture - the fulfillment of that Law. In both senses, the Christian faith cannot be separated from the Jewish faith. Its origins are Jewish, and its teaching is Jewish - but with an important twist: Most Jews continue to await their Messiah, whereas Christians claim their Messiah already walked the earth. Yes, you could say this makes me "defensive" of another, older, religion. That passion could not apply in the same way to Buddhism (although I know several Christians who do embrace important tenets of Buddhism).

From a personal perspective, it's been quite an epiphany in recent years for me to discover that one of my family lines (the only non-Cornish line) is descended from an orthodox Jewish family in Germany. It was a painful personal moment to discover that at least 300 of my fifth cousins perished in Auschwitz or other death camps. This personal factor has served to heighten my earlier respect for and support of the Jewish faith. Moreover, I have many friends and former colleagues in Israel, and so many in recent days have shared details of friends or close family members who were targeted and slaughtered in recent terrorist attacks. My heart bleeds for them.

Sorry that I was so long in answering your question, and I hope this helps to explain my position. If not, you can sod off! :)

Israel are breaking international law and human rights in a quest for revenge and not justice. Most of these laws and rights were passed in Geneva as a direct result of the Holocaust and atrocities committed on Jews in the 2nd World War, how sad that we now see 70 years on the people who were the catalyst for the formation of such laws being the ones who now break them with no respect or regard to the past, and showing the same lack of humanity and compassion to innocent women and children, as was shown to themselves. Let’s rip the rule books up they mean nothing to those who you expect them to mean the most to.  

1 hour ago, Matt said:

Syria hit last week and this too. This is going to get a whole lot worse.

Not just for the Middle East but the world. With war in Europe and the Middle East it will only take North Korea to attack South Korea or China to invade Taiwan in we will be on the brink of World War Three.  

1 hour ago, Palfy said:

Not just for the Middle East but the world. With war in Europe and the Middle East it will only take North Korea to attack South Korea or China to invade Taiwan in we will be on the brink of World War Three.  

Yup but I don't think China can afford to. North Korea though, that's a worry. 

2 hours ago, Formby said:

Sadly so, and will continue to be unless America acts as an honest broker in the conflict.

Lebanon hit too. I get the drive for revenge but this isn't revenge, its bordering on genocide if Israel goes through with its proposed ground assault. Especially when those they're supposed to be fighting aren't even in Gaza. 

Just wish the media would stop making out that Palastine and Hamas are the same thing. Palestine is getting spitroasted; bombed and starved in the name of revenge (against the faith by the way, see Leviticus) as well as used and abused by Hamas as literal human shields, now being even more condensed. All Hamas have to do is release a bomb, dirty/nuclear/ICBM/etc and they kill millions whilst pointing their finger north. 

5 hours ago, Matt said:

Lebanon hit too. I get the drive for revenge but this isn't revenge, its bordering on genocide if Israel goes through with its proposed ground assault. Especially when those they're supposed to be fighting aren't even in Gaza. 

Just wish the media would stop making out that Palastine and Hamas are the same thing. Palestine is getting spitroasted; bombed and starved in the name of revenge (against the faith by the way, see Leviticus) as well as used and abused by Hamas as literal human shields, now being even more condensed. All Hamas have to do is release a bomb, dirty/nuclear/ICBM/etc and they kill millions whilst pointing their finger north. 

And all facilitated by the US, which has parked two aircraft carriers off the coast of Israel to deter any state / non-sate actor escalating the war. If ever there was a green light for Netanyahu to do what he wanted, that was it. No one should be in any doubt what this man's intentions are. “Anyone who wants to thwart the establishment of a Palestinian state has to support bolstering Hamas and transferring money to Hamas … This is part of our strategy – to isolate the Palestinians in Gaza from the Palestinians in the West Bank.” Hamas’s attack shows Benjamin Netanyahu failed Israel - Vox 

There's a lot of things that have made me really angry about this but one the biggest is this vehement opposition to a free Palastine as if that's a bad thing, let alone the crackdown on support for it. Palastine and Hamas are not the same thing. This is a vicious triangle of 2 "innocent" (can't really use that word seriously to be honest) and Hamas playing puppetry with lives. Just because Hamas took control does not mean they represent Palastine anymore than the Taliban represent Afghanistan. 

3 hours ago, patto said:

This is ready to escalate out of control and really worrying it needs to be stopped or paused for talks but I don’t see it happening 

Fully justified apparently. Israel got attacked by terrorists so they commit genocide against the Palastinians with (wavering) support from the west.

You would've thought that with thousands of years of oppression and suffering, not to mention the Torah expressly forbidding revenge, Israel might've been a little a less "fuck it, they're all the same" about it. 

The other thing that I thought of is that this isn't Hamas, it's Putin. Get Iran to threaten Hamas into making an obscene attack (they're disposable to Iran, another group will form anyway, probably bigger fuelled by this genocide) on innocent lives to take the eyes off of Ukraine and split the attention, and more importantly budgets, of the West. Maybe paranoia but it fits the playbook. 

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, Matt said:

20 thousand people have now been killed in Gaza. This is what happens when you attack an unconventional enemy with conventional tactics. Disgusting and utterly indefensible. 

Hamas gave Israel the opportunity they have always wanted a reason to wipe Gaza off the face of the earth, Gaza is close to becoming uninhabitable and close to brink of no return, when Israel feels both have been achieved they will cease the destruction and slaughter, but until then innocent civilians will be killed in the name of what I do not know. 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-68658973

So they've been defending themselves so well that even the US are now saying "that might be a bit much, maybe a ceasefire is needed". Unfortunately Netanyahu has gone all dictator and thinks that razing the grounds of Gaza is defensive...

32000 so far. That's some excellent defending.

Very quiet here, probably because people are sick of reading about it. But unfortunately this was so abundantly clear from day 1 yet people wanted to defend an impending genocide in the name of defence.