IGNORED

Nugent ?

To push on in the league and Euro the strikers we have is not enough.

Yes Cahill can play there but he is more an attacking midfielder.

All you have to do is look at Spurs front line and ours bearing in mind we should be challanging Spurs for 5 place.

AJ

BT

Vaughan

Victor

Defoe

Berb

Keane

Bent

I know who I would rather have.

Intesting from Harry at Pompy saying that he has spoken to Nugent but has to wait as got a couple of clubs interested.

http://www.itv-football.co.uk/Story/0,1427...2467301,00.html

• Replies 539
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To push on in the league and Euro the strikers we have is not enough.

Yes Cahill can play there but he is more an attacking midfielder.

All you have to do is look at Spurs front line and ours bearing in mind we should be challanging Spurs for 5 place.

AJ

BT

Vaughan

Victor

Defoe

Berb

Keane

Bent

I know who I would rather have.

Intesting from Harry at Pompy saying that he has spoken to Nugent but has to wait as got a couple of clubs interested.

http://www.itv-football.co.uk/Story/0,1427...2467301,00.html

They're all better apart from AJ even then he wouldnt be first choice. We can't consolidate last seasons position with the current squad, Spurs and Newcastle will be a much stonger outfit next year along with Villa. I think Bolton falter to some degree but maybe that's wishfull thinking. We saw last year how lifeless we were with Johnson out. We need at least one striker, I was hoping two with Beattie being sold but doesn't look like it's going to happen.

i honestly think that we might end up not buying a striker, AJ, Vaughan, and Victor can cope, remember Cahill practically plays as a second striker anyway.

There will be injuries at some point, especially with the extra games coz of Europe, so we need someone else coming in.

BY THE WAY, Yes, Nugent is a striker but theres no reason why he couldnt do a good job on the wing. He's nippy and is prepared to take players on. (or even in the middle of the park).

These players are proffessional footballers. They have "preferred" positions, but as pro footballers they should fit in a number of positions. The only No-no is attackers in defenders roles (and vice-versa).

Bring Nugent in!

Edited by Maghull70

All reports today are saying that Nugent will be going Portsmouth today.

Think we have missed out big time and just waiting for DM to offer for him just after he has signed.

Hope he has got someone else lined up instead or some other players coming in in different areas.

Although we need at least 1 more striker if we brought in a couple more decent players (including a winger) and a couple of squad players and didn't have the money for a striker I could understand but if only bring in an extra 1 or 2 players then might be trouble ahead.

Would like to think that we have the same money if not more as last season to spend and so far not even spent the money we spent on Lescott yet

I Have no doubt that some more deals are on the cards, but we could bring Beattie into a player plus cash deal and probs get him for 3 or 4 million, but i will wait to see what happens first. ;)

A bit surprised nobodys enquired about a cut price Beattie, specially the Championship teams, like Preston, Sheff utd and Southampton, he stands a chance of getting some form back if he drops down a league.

I will be gutted if we miss out on Nugent, but it looks like he may have opted for Harry's Pompey lot after our hand hasn't gone up in the auction crowd.

If we're honest he's not going to exactly slap us in the face by scoring 30 next season, or even 20, but it's a shame if we miss out on someone who would have potentially given 110% every time he pulled on the shirt.

Dare I say it, the lack of interest in Nugent is beginning to make me believe (hope?) that Moyes has someone else in his sights, a bigger more well-known (European experience) name...and he's keeping it quiet.

Ah, the eternal optimism associated with being a Blue... ;)

I will be gutted if we miss out on Nugent, but it looks like he may have opted for Harry's Pompey lot after our hand hasn't gone up in the auction crowd.

If we're honest he's not going to exactly slap us in the face by scoring 30 next season, or even 20, but it's a shame if we miss out on someone who would have potentially given 110% every time he pulled on the shirt.

Dare I say it, the lack of interest in Nugent is beginning to make me believe (hope?) that Moyes has someone else in his sights, a bigger more well-known (European experience) name...and he's keeping it quiet.

Ah, the eternal optimism associated with being a Blue... ;)

^^^

So long as its not Smith...Eto maybe (how much would that piss the shite off) :D

i just dont think nugent will leave to some1 like portsmoth wen he nose if everton dont bid of him this summer, if he waits till january, he will be going for around 2-3mil and he nose he can make his 'dream' move to everton

TBH...I don't think he will ever put a Preston shirt on again.

He will be at a Premiership side this season no matter what happens...

Have you read this interview with Harry Redknapp:

http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=4...for+Nugent+deal

Interesting comment:

"I've had a meet with the lad. I was really impressed with him as a boy, he's a great fella.

"Whatever he does I wish him all the best, but I'd like to have him here if possible."

To me, Redknapp is saying that he isn't that bothered probably knowing Nugent is so set on Everton! (Or am I being too optimistic). He seems so defeatist, if he really wanted Nugent he would go all out for him so Nugent couldn't refuse. I thinking Nugent is stalling on anyone he speaks too, maybe knowing we are in discussion with PNE...I hope!!

Guest blueboy122

i cant understand why we want nugent?? he maybe a good player but he is not the ball winning six footer is he? we need a striker who can win balls in the air other wise we wont get anywere? i cant think of a parternership were there has been 2 little fella's? is nugent skill ful?? everton worshiper why is he better than smith? wold he work well with johnson? i ask u this beacuse ur seem to no alot about him! thanks! o and what is he lik in the air?

Edited by blueboy122

There wouldn't be 22 pages of comments (admittedly 21 pages from me :) ) about a player who has no potential, skill etc Other premiership clubs are interested in him, so the fans get excited about him and other clubs are too.

I watched a lot of Preston games last season and despite his injury spell, he was a very very good player. Never forget his wonder goal where he picked the ball up from his own half, ran all the way on his own and tucked the ball away.

Have you seen some of the goals he scores:

This is an amazing goal:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avYgzrIZOyE

Another example of his dribbling skills:

IMO Smith vs Nugent debate can't happen, different players with an obvious difference in class and ability. Smith had so much promise but never delivered, Nugent has so much promise...lets hope he delivers!

i cant understand why we want nugent?? he maybe a good player but he is not the ball winning six footer is he? we need a striker who can win balls in the air other wise we wont get anywere? i cant think of a parternership were there has been 2 little fella's? is nugent skill ful?? everton worshiper why is he better than smith? wold he work well with johnson? i ask u this beacuse ur seem to no alot about him! thanks! o and what is he lik in the air?

Being tall is no guarantee that you'll win the ball in the air, look at Crouch ffs and BT. And then compare them with Cahill who is excellent in the air but isnt that tall. Nugent will compliment AJ perfectly, he can hold the ball up and lay it off to the necessary players leaving AJ to stay upfront rather than on the wings. But when AJ does get down the wings and crosses we'll actually have someone (Nugent) in the box to head a header in. When Nugent has the ball he will take players away from AJ and vice versa. We're missing out big time, I promise you that.

You defeat every part your own argument in that post.....

"he is not the ball winning six footer is he?"..... He's taller than Smith.

"we need a striker who can win balls in the air".... How many goals have you seen Smith score with his head, in fact how many goals have you seen Smith score .. period.

"i cant think of a parternership were there has been 2 little fella's?"... so why would you choose the smallest of the two.

Dont get me wrong, if we do sign Smith he will get my support whenever he pulls on the Royal Blue Jersey, its just that imo Nugent has more to offer in the Goals department, is younger, and is on the way up, while Smith is not a goalscorer, is older, and is on the way Down. If they where to cost us the same transfer fee, Nugent would offer us a better return for the Money.

Now wasn't it Monday/Tuesday that talks between Nugent and Portsmouth took place.

So, PNE agree fee, Play talks to an interested club pre-season starting and 3 or 4 days later, Nugent is still a PNE player? Not exactly racing to go to Portsmouth, just like he didn't want to go to Sunderland.

Thing is Nugent knows Everton are interested at a lower fee, PNE will be in a bit of a corner come August regarding getting any sort of reasonable fee for the lad.

Everton is Nugents DREAM move, not many players say that of Everton.

If it was the top 4-5 teams after Nugent for a big fee, then fair enough you could see that these moves may be worth while for him, the lure of CL football, medels etc.

But with it being the likes of Sunderland and Portsmouth (no disrepect intended) and a almost certain move to Everton just around the corner, you can see why he hasn't signed for any of these clubs yet.

Don't think he held talks until Tuesday they were saying then Harry was meant to have gone north on Wednesday evening to conclude the deal and was reported in the Thursdays paper that would be a pompy player in 24 hours I beleive.

Do we even know that DM is interested in Nugent.

Nothing come out from Dm or everton that they like the lad or that any talks with the club has taken place.

It wouldn;t surprise me if DM does not want him at all which is his choice and as I have said before that fine if he does not think he is either good enough or is the type of player that he wants.

See that Sharp joined Sheffield for £1m. That is going to be a good bit of business