IGNORED

Nugent ?

Think that was a bit Harsh on Craccer, he likes Smith, others like Nugent thats what forums are for, different views and opinions from different members.

Was that said tongue in cheek Mac, or do you just want him to "HARDEN THE FUCK UP". :D:D

• Replies 539
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He would be a snip at £7, given the fact that bent has gone for double that

The problem is people know the price of everything and the value of nothing these days

I just think, that Moyes is looking in other areas, and will see AJ Vaugh, BT & Vic as 4 strikers, as I dont think we will offload BT and that is probably the key to this deal

thanks licker, didn't expect it from you :D

anyway, mac... the mike, ive tried to be diplomatic ... sounds just like i've made a mistake somewhere... local pride is nothin, you don't get talent or goals from pride, you get a hard worker, and i very much doubt that nugent can work as hard as smith.

nugent is a player for the future...but his goal scoring record is less than impressive in the championship, someone outshines him every season and has never been given a look in.

as for darren bent... ok hes overprice, but bent 17, nugent 7....wudnt suggest a snip there. you only have to see bents goalscoring record for a woeful chalrton to understand that he's a goalscorer, a scorer with electric pace and great off ball movement. wasn't he top english goalscorer 2 seasons running? either way hes quality... buying a proven goalscorer, so many goals, look at goals to games....17 is a good price if he can do that elsewhere

thanks licker, didn't expect it from you :D

anyway, mac... the mike, ive tried to be diplomatic ... sounds just like i've made a mistake somewhere... local pride is nothin, you don't get talent or goals from pride, you get a hard worker, and i very much doubt that nugent can work as hard as smith.

nugent is a player for the future...but his goal scoring record is less than impressive in the championship, someone outshines him every season and has never been given a look in.

as for darren bent... ok hes overprice, but bent 17, nugent 7....wudnt suggest a snip there. you only have to see bents goalscoring record for a woeful chalrton to understand that he's a goalscorer, a scorer with electric pace and great off ball movement. wasn't he top english goalscorer 2 seasons running? either way hes quality... buying a proven goalscorer, so many goals, look at goals to games....17 is a good price if he can do that elsewhere

Where on the other hand smith has never had a good goal scoring record, hes always had potential and never realised it, hes always had passion and guile, I think a Nugent will give us the passion without question, and hes certainly one for now not the future, I just dont think were in the market for him anyway TBH. Hopefully i'll be proved wrong. A big no to smith

The point of bringing bent into it is to shown the pricing of players, we all know what he has done thats why hes 17 mil, you could have got the same player a year ago for 10 (i guess ) and he was sold two years ago for about 3

You do the maths. Youve got to speculate to accumulate and cut your cloth according to what you can afford

7 mil is the 3.5 mil of last summer FACT FACT FACT Everyone knows the prem clubs have got douple the tv money, they want their piece of the pie

FFS Derby have just bought whats his face for 3.5, should we have gone for him

A player is worth whatever a club is willing to pay for him, and the fact is Preston asked for £7million and Sunderland and another club have bid £7million, so therefore that's his worth. We had all this hoo har last summer with AJ and people said he's not worth £8.6million, but he was because thats what was on the table. AJ has proven that he was more than worth his pricetag and we can see that we got in at a good time because god knows how much he'd cost now. Inflation is the name of the game of this summer, theres nothing we can do to change that but try and get the best deal whoever we're after.

A player is worth whatever a club is willing to pay for him, and the fact is Preston asked for £7million and Sunderland and another club have bid £7million, so therefore that's his worth. We had all this hoo har last summer with AJ and people said he's not worth £8.6million, but he was because thats what was on the table. AJ has proven that he was more than worth his pricetag and we can see that we got in at a good time because god knows how much he'd cost now. Inflation is the name of the game of this summer, theres nothing we can do to change that but try and get the best deal whoever we're after.

The common sense award goes to romney, pity too many supporters live in cloud cuckoo land

I may well have been out of order, but it was heartfelt.

Local pride is nothing you said, do you know how many Scousers we had playing for us during the Glorious 80's?. Celtic when they won the European Cup fielded a team of players who were all born within 3 miles of the ground, local pride counts for more than you will ever understand. Ever heard of a fella called William Ralph Dean?.

ATB

Mac

i think people are over the top with all this inflation stuff ...3.5 the new 7 mil... i don't think so. it's not that bad, it was bad enough when we signed AJ for 8.6, the only reason he's being quoted as more is because of how well he's played

its only british people that are being overpriced and its not double

as for mac, i know pride has meant a lot, but it's a different game now, there are many more players all over the world coming to play in this country. fact is, england do not produce all of the best talents, only a handful over say 10 years ...rooney, gerrard ... will nugent ever be a full international, well with the rest of the talent, AJ included, Owen, defoe, rooney, i doubt it very much, he may be a squad player at some point

as for a player is worth what people will pay. in a sense yes, but there's different meanings of worth. theres the market value worth and the club worth . is nugent worth 7 mil, well maybe he is...and sunderland are paying for him...is he 7mil worth for everton. nah

I'm actually starting to come round in the thinking that Nugent may be overpriced already.

Yes absolutely a player is worth what a club is willing to pay, but ultimately that price is judged to be too much or too little over time in terms of the player repaying with successful performances. You COULD argue that AJ's price last season looked a little too much, right now it's looking like solid business!

At 6mil Nugent still looked good value given his promise and desire to play for this club...at 7mil he's starting to move into the realms of strikers who score every 3 games in the Premiership, not just in the Championship. His style of play suggests he will assist those around him more than just scoring goals, but if the value keeps increasing, it becomes more and more of a gamble.

I still like the look of Nugent and his desire to play for Everton, however. That desire carries a monetary value in that it mitigates the risk and the gamble. You buy anyone else and they might try hard week in week out. You buy Nugent and if an Everton fan who has said we're his dream move doesn't give 110% week in week out, you'd have to be shocked.

Buy a Porsche and you've got a Porsche. But if it keeps breaking down leaving you at the roadside stranded, what is its value compared to a Toyota Yaris that's dependable and keeps getting you to your destination?

Buy a Porsche and you've got a Porsche. But if it keeps breaking down leaving you at the roadside stranded, what is its value compared to a Toyota Yaris that's dependable and keeps getting you to your destination?

Send the Porsche back to the manufacturer, buy a Rolls Royce.

I have no idea what I have just posted, but it seemed to make sense at one point.

ATB

Mac

This rumour has been around that long that we're now likening players to cars.............luv it!!!!

Well it has to be said I once owned a car like our very own VDM!.....It was foreign,drank

a lot,was always breaking down.......and I sold it for far less than I paid for it :angry:

This rumour has been around that long that we're now likening players to cars.............luv it!!!!

Well it has to be said I once owned a car like our very own VDM!.....It was foreign,drank

a lot,was always breaking down.......and I sold it for far less than I paid for it :angry:

you once owned an alfa romeo!

It has been reported in a very reputable Sunday paper that we are not going to offer more than £4m for Nugent, I feel that is us out of the race for the hottest English footballing prospect for years.

ATB

Mac

Is it true that a player now has an option to 'buy himself out of their contract'? May not even be a new thing but ive heard about it recently and wonder whether this could be an option. EG if we only offer say 4mill when others have offered 6mill, maybe DN could cushion some of that difference which would obviously benefit preston??? Not saying he has stashes of cash (compared to most playres) but if done over time, could this be a feasible option?

If we are serious about European football, we definitely need another striker. Anchiebe at this point should be nothing more than a sub and while Vaughan looked the part last season, we are one injury from going back to the 4-5-1. It seems to me that we are unwilling to move Beattie until we find out Nugent's decision, although our effort to get him looks poor. I have a feeling what we have on the team is what we are going to have at the start of the season in terms of strikers.

See this morning that Nugent is Quoted as saying he will not rush into a move if Everton fail to meet PRESTONS asking price,

reading between the lines it more or less says he will sit out his contract and play in the championship again next season.

I was convinced he wouldnt play for Preston again, so is he trying to tell Preston its Everton or nobody or he will walk away for nothing next season, or maybe he's just not as ambitious as i thought he was.

I was reading the reports from the Preston Manager/chairman saying that he has to make the right choice and if its not the riight choice and he stays til the next window that will be fine with them kind of gives me the idea that what he is saying is that Everton are not going to bid for you this time so stay with us for 6months or a year and then join them for less money

Unless the £4m is a base price, with numerous Everton speciality clauses..?

I still hold out some hope, if there are rumours of Beattie going over the next few days then we will get him, if not then I think Nugent is going elsewhere which will be a massive shame.

"Everton speciality"!!

Doesnt everybody do it?? :huh:

Yes but I think in light of Rooney, the directors have a few of their own clauses added into young stars contracts...

From today:

Preston striker David Nugent says he will not be pressurised into leaving the club if Everton do not match his £7m price tag. (Various)

That to me says "I am only going to move to Everton so accept their offer" :)

Have you seen Paul Simpson's comments:

http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=4...waits+on+Nugent

In particular:

"I haven't got a clue to be honest with you," Simpson told Sky Sports News when asked when a deal would be done. "He's still on holiday. He returns on Monday I think.

"I think he's got a couple of talks to be held. He's got a big decision to make and I hope he makes the right decision."

Maybe we are one of them?????????????