IGNORED

Rodwell

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally my view is that the subject needs to be debated in general terms rather than specific Everton players in order to look at it objectively.

There are some principles that apply with the majority (but not all) players in today's game;

1) If there is interest from a top 4/5 club, they will more often than not be interested. The chance to play regular CL football and compete for honours is too tempting - and fair play to them for this ambition.

2) Top 4/5 clubs can offer a salary that generally other sides can't. Man City have to be included as part of this now, arguably more so than Liverpool or Arsenal given that City are seemingly happy to write blank cheques.

3) Young talented players will give consideration to staying with their existing club for another year or so if there is more chance of more first team football to build their experience up. However, they will offset this against the risk of their playing career ending tomorrow by injury. If they are on £20k a week or £50k a week then it matters in terms of their insurance/contract as to what extent they have given themselves long term financial security.

4) Agents. The agent goes on at them. Whether we like it or not agents play a big part in these decisions. And just like a salesman who is on commission, it is in the agents interest to secure a move to a top 4 club.

When it comes to Jack - he is more intelligent than the average young player and is represented better than most as I understand it, notably by his family. I suspect we will get to keep him for a minimum of one more season. If we one day got £30m for him and every penny of that went towards securing a redevelopment of Goodison Park then I would consider that a deal worth making.

We are fans and all share one thing in common, our love for Everton Football Club. However, there are fans that love their clubs in equal measure - Leeds United and Portsmouth being just two such clubs. The Board are trying to take the club to a better position. Without a new buyer it has to be a very long term, gradual business plan. Selling Rodwell would be assessed on that basis.

• 2 weeks later...

The fact that they say United want Gosling makes me automatically dismiss that story.

Was thinking along the same lines...that and the fact that it says, "News of the World" at the top of the page.

I'd be more concerned if I saw it in "The Beano."

Personally my view is that the subject needs to be debated in general terms rather than specific Everton players in order to look at it objectively.

There are some principles that apply with the majority (but not all) players in today's game;

1) If there is interest from a top 4/5 club, they will more often than not be interested. The chance to play regular CL football and compete for honours is too tempting - and fair play to them for this ambition.

2) Top 4/5 clubs can offer a salary that generally other sides can't. Man City have to be included as part of this now, arguably more so than Liverpool or Arsenal given that City are seemingly happy to write blank cheques.

3) Young talented players will give consideration to staying with their existing club for another year or so if there is more chance of more first team football to build their experience up. However, they will offset this against the risk of their playing career ending tomorrow by injury. If they are on £20k a week or £50k a week then it matters in terms of their insurance/contract as to what extent they have given themselves long term financial security.

4) Agents. The agent goes on at them. Whether we like it or not agents play a big part in these decisions. And just like a salesman who is on commission, it is in the agents interest to secure a move to a top 4 club.

When it comes to Jack - he is more intelligent than the average young player and is represented better than most as I understand it, notably by his family. I suspect we will get to keep him for a minimum of one more season. If we one day got £30m for him and every penny of that went towards securing a redevelopment of Goodison Park then I would consider that a deal worth making.

We are fans and all share one thing in common, our love for Everton Football Club. However, there are fans that love their clubs in equal measure - Leeds United and Portsmouth being just two such clubs. The Board are trying to take the club to a better position. Without a new buyer it has to be a very long term, gradual business plan. Selling Rodwell would be assessed on that basis.

I was actually reading that thinking it was a good post until you said that......... tut tut...

I would prefer the money to be re invested in the team.....

• 3 weeks later...

great news rodwell must realise that with the addition of a top striker we will qualify for the champions league next year...i cant see anyone leaving next year unless moyes wants them to...i think moyes will only deal in strikers in and out in the close season.

^^This + Donovan.

My guess is that next year is a big big year for the lad. He has come in early season and to an extent carried us when we had terrible injuries, he has then had an expected slump in form but then has played well when back in with the likes of Arteta. A good pre season will see him stronger and more dominant, he could become an all round do everything midfielder in the way Gerrard is for Liverpool when he is on form. People like Arnesen at Chelsea would have had all the info on Rodwell from years back, and all they will see now is that the reports were correct, he is heading for world class status it's a matter of time - and we shouldn't let him go for anything less than world class prices. We need to ensure that we continue to build the squad while we have him, it is our best chance of keeping him. In my opinion, with a bit of strengthening - Coleman playing wing back (Baines like wise) with a combative and skillfull midfield we have a chance of breaking the top 4, that will see us reach a whole new level. The future is looking very bright, we just need to hold onto our top talent to help us realise it.

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/sport/772810/EVERTON-boss-David-Moyes-believes-teenage-star-Jack-Rodwell-will-end-speculation-about-his-future-by-penning-a-new-5-million-deal.html

I don't like this bit though -

"I would like to add a couple of players to keep it going, but generally if I was to go into next season with the same group of players, I will not be too disappointed."

I think he's preparing us for a summer of nothing :(.

heard at the weekend from a friend of jacks family; jack is happy at everton and loves his relationship with all the players and staff. but since jack bought his dad a house his dads attitude has changed and is starting to talk more about money and having to take any offer into consideration.

heard at the weekend from a friend of jacks family; jack is happy at everton and loves his relationship with all the players and staff. but since jack bought his dad a house his dads attitude has changed and is starting to talk more about money and having to take any offer into consideration.

Lets hope he cares more about his own happiness than his dads greed then.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Transfer-news-Everton-star-to-snub-Manchester-United-to-stay-at-Goodison-Park-article422833.html

£40,000 a week? :blink:.

He's good but he hasn't really done anything yet to deserve a wage that high. So when we renew his contract again in another 6 months ( :rolleyes: ) we'll be needing to put him on a par with our top earners and that's just not right. It's surprising to me that (supposedly) we're offering Rodwell this much but have clearly been haggling over giving a more established player (Pienaar) a wage rise.

im with you mark, what message does this send? in modern football a contract will be renegotiated probably several times before it's concluded. for a player who isn't considered first team to offer him this much is too steep IMO, yeah we want to keep him but in the logn run as you say in 6 months he'll be our highest paid and in a year or so we won't be able to meet the demands then and what happens then? if he's established himself and we've not broken into the top 4 he'll probably be off....having said that though, that's probably goign to happen at some point anyway.