IGNORED

Taking the longer term view

Cornish Steve

9 hours ago, Vranny said:

We were saying something similar about building a team around the likes of Stones, McCarthy, Barkley and Lukaku a few years ago and look how that turned out :P

In all honesty I am excited about the future. The amount we're investing in the youth team alone is dwarfing our total transfer budgets of yesteryear. 

Haha fair play!

11 hours ago, Vranny said:

We were saying something similar about building a team around the likes of Stones, McCarthy, Barkley and Lukaku a few years ago and look how that turned out :P

In all honesty I am excited about the future. The amount we're investing in the youth team alone is dwarfing our total transfer budgets of yesteryear. 

This. Not all of the youngsters currently around the team will become stars, but hopefully some do and a few more turn into capable squad players that gives us a core to build around and supplement with top talent.

17 hours ago, Vranny said:

I thought the same thing, but these ones are a fair bit more homegrown.

19 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

Having just watched the 20-minute highlights of last night's win over Sunderland, I was struck by how good this Everton team could be in one or two years' time. The current travails will be resolved. Some of the new players will work out and some won't. Older players will slowly disappear or transfer out. But the team that played last night, with just three changes, could really power Everton into the future.

First, move Stekelenburg out of goal. Obviously, that position is for Pickford. Kenny is our future RB, and Holgate will eventually be a CB. Keane will plays alongside him. We need a good youngster at LB; that's the one position where we lack. That's a solid defence that could play together for a decade.

Next there's midfield. Despite some high-profile gaffes, I actually think Besic is the player we could be missing in midfield. He has the confidence, and he's a natural general for the midfield army. His determination and resolve in winning back the ball effectively created the third goal. Davies is learning and growing into his role. Move out Klaassen and next season bring in Dowell. There's a powerful midfield.

Upfront, DC-L keeps getting better and better. Already, you can see him and Vlasic and Sandro working together, and they could become awesome over time. Add Lookman's trickery as backup, and we have the makings of a solid front line with power and speed.

So, I'm putting aside my disappointment and frustration with the current team and the failure of new recruits to shine. With these youngsters getting more and more game time and having the opportunity to play together more, the future really is looking rosy for Everton. Schneiderlin, Gueye, Sigurdsson, and Rooney will determine whether we finish this season in the top or bottom half of the table, but they will soon be replaced with a "phenomenal" next generation of players. That's really good news.

I love your optimism Steve, I really do. But history tells us the list of youngsters you have on there won’t all make it. Besic for all his effort just isn’t good enough. If anyone watched that the other night and still think he’s the answer I’m baffled. The lad puts a lot in, but lacks quality in the basics and isn’t tactically good enough. Against a premier league side he would have been punished a few times. 

I’m trying not to be negative, but I am still impressed with DCL and Davies. Kenny did enough to keep his place. 

20 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

Having just watched the 20-minute highlights of last night's win over Sunderland, I was struck by how good this Everton team could be in one or two years' time. The current travails will be resolved. Some of the new players will work out and some won't. Older players will slowly disappear or transfer out. But the team that played last night, with just three changes, could really power Everton into the future.

First, move Stekelenburg out of goal. Obviously, that position is for Pickford. Kenny is our future RB, and Holgate will eventually be a CB. Keane will plays alongside him. We need a good youngster at LB; that's the one position where we lack. That's a solid defence that could play together for a decade.

Next there's midfield. Despite some high-profile gaffes, I actually think Besic is the player we could be missing in midfield. He has the confidence, and he's a natural general for the midfield army. His determination and resolve in winning back the ball effectively created the third goal. Davies is learning and growing into his role. Move out Klaassen and next season bring in Dowell. There's a powerful midfield.

Upfront, DC-L keeps getting better and better. Already, you can see him and Vlasic and Sandro working together, and they could become awesome over time. Add Lookman's trickery as backup, and we have the makings of a solid front line with power and speed.

So, I'm putting aside my disappointment and frustration with the current team and the failure of new recruits to shine. With these youngsters getting more and more game time and having the opportunity to play together more, the future really is looking rosy for Everton. Schneiderlin, Gueye, Sigurdsson, and Rooney will determine whether we finish this season in the top or bottom half of the table, but they will soon be replaced with a "phenomenal" next generation of players. That's really good news.

Great post Steve, although I think Klaassen will be a quality player for us once he adapts to the pace and physicality of the premier league.

I was thinking about this a bit more this morning. Who will be good enough to start for a top 4 chasing side for say 15+ games a season in 2 years time out of the squad we have?

GK: Pickford

LB: None

RB: Coleman probably. Holgate maybe

CB: Keane / Holgate maybe

DM: Schneiderlin (30)

CM: Davies / Gana (30) - doubt he will be as effective / Klaasen

AM: Sigurdsson / Barkley (if he is here) / Dowell maybe

Wingers:  Vlasic / Lookman maybe

ST: DCL / Sandro maybe

We have Onyekuru as well so maybe he could come into the fold but I dont know enough about him yet.

Defensively we have massive holes. Pickford and Keane are the only two you can almost be certain of holding down a spot. Coleman should be OK too.

In central spots we will have a good enough starting 3 but not much in depth. Schneiderlin wont have any problems in his role, nor will Davies or Klaasen but Gana will probably drop off as he is all about his ability to get up and down the pitch all day long. Besic isnt good enough.

Sigurdsson will be 30, Dowell is an unknown still at this stage but I expect he will be good enough to play a chunk of games a season, Vlasic looks a smart buy and then upfront DCL will be absolutely fine and Sandro too (once he settles). I haven't included Bolasie because I don't think he is really good enough and he will be 30ish by then too and as soon as he loses his physical edge he will not be the same player.

I find this all a bit strange because we have had a massive overhaul of the squad and yet in 2 or 3 years time we will need to do the same again, especially at the back.