IGNORED

2019/20 Pre-season.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, markjazzbassist said:

the euro tourney sounds promising as well.  hey @Matt are you going to the swiss match?

If I had any time between work and weekend plans for the next 2 months I might’ve :) it’s at least an hour away so probably not 

edit: misread the town. Sion isn’t too far away! Maybe I can talk the missus into a trip into the vineyards :D 

23 minutes ago, Matt said:

If I had any time between work and weekend plans for the next 2 months I might’ve :) it’s at least an hour away so probably not 

edit: misread the town. Sion isn’t too far away! Maybe I can talk the missus into a trip into the vineyards :D 

an hour away is far?  sweet mercy europe is so different from america.  my brother lives in pittsburgh which is 2 hours away, it's a nothing trip to visit him for the weekend.  i drove 13 hours in a day to get to vermont to ski for a week when i was in college.  road trips are something i truly enjoy.

24 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

an hour away is far?  sweet mercy europe is so different from america.  my brother lives in pittsburgh which is 2 hours away, it's a nothing trip to visit him for the weekend.  i drove 13 hours in a day to get to vermont to ski for a week when i was in college.  road trips are something i truly enjoy.

I enjoy them too, but I prefer less time in the car nowadays. It’s always amused me, the difference between Europe and US mentality. 

Sion is a drive into city, it’s easy. Zurich, Geneva, Lausanne, Bern etc are a bloody nightmare which always puts me off driving into them. I’d happily take the train but the prices here are absurd and usually not that quicker or convenient (sometimes slower and less convenient!)

8 minutes ago, Matt said:

I enjoy them too, but I prefer less time in the car nowadays. It’s always amused me, the difference between Europe and US mentality. 

Sion is a drive into city, it’s easy. Zurich, Geneva, Lausanne, Bern etc are a bloody nightmare which always puts me off driving into them. I’d happily take the train but the prices here are absurd and usually not that quicker or convenient (sometimes slower and less convenient!)

interesting.  the trains here are very slow and not a good cross country travel device.  Planes are the best here but are super expensive.  I could drive to california and spend less on gas to drive there than the plane ticket would cost.  now you see why so many us of drive everywhere over here.  i prefer the drive, i can stop when i want and where i want, i have plenty of room, and eat the food i choose.  planes they treat you like cattle and you are stuck with their rules and ways.  i'm 6'2" so the cramped planes aren't great for long flights.  meanwhile in the car i have plenty of room and if not i just stop and take a walk for a few minutes to stretch and then back at it.

45 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

interesting.  the trains here are very slow and not a good cross country travel device.  Planes are the best here but are super expensive.  I could drive to california and spend less on gas to drive there than the plane ticket would cost.  now you see why so many us of drive everywhere over here.  i prefer the drive, i can stop when i want and where i want, i have plenty of room, and eat the food i choose.  planes they treat you like cattle and you are stuck with their rules and ways.  i'm 6'2" so the cramped planes aren't great for long flights.  meanwhile in the car i have plenty of room and if not i just stop and take a walk for a few minutes to stretch and then back at it.

The thing with driving in the Uk is the roads are so congested it’s taken 9hrs in the past to drive from Swindon to Newcastle a journey of only 260 so miles that’s why I tend to fly there these days only takes about 45 minutes. 

1 hour ago, markjazzbassist said:

Had a great weeks skiing in Vermont 20 years ago. Sister broke her arm on the first day and was only 19 at the time so couldn’t drink! Always amused us. 

1 hour ago, Palfy said:

The thing with driving in the Uk is the roads are so congested it’s taken 9hrs in the past to drive from Swindon to Newcastle a journey of only 260 so miles that’s why I tend to fly there these days only takes about 45 minutes. 

major areas in the US have congestion as well.  NYC LA Chicago Atlanta Houston Seattle DC etc. all have terrible traffic.  Thankfully most Interstate Freeways and most highways have an "outer belt" that bypasses the city and takes you around the city area which is a minor detour but you miss all the traffic.  Once you are out of city centers in the US its wonderful country driving, a great place to reassess your life and ponder the musings of your mind.  

38 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

major areas in the US have congestion as well.  NYC LA Chicago Atlanta Houston Seattle DC etc. all have terrible traffic.  Thankfully most Interstate Freeways and most highways have an "outer belt" that bypasses the city and takes you around the city area which is a minor detour but you miss all the traffic.  Once you are out of city centers in the US its wonderful country driving, a great place to reassess your life and ponder the musings of your mind.  

I've always held a dream of driving across the state's but as yet haven't realised it, still time fingers crossed.

Normally takes me an hour and ten each way to get to work and back, it’s only 24 miles. Fuck traffic! 

I’ve driven across three states in the US over 13 hours once, while there wasn’t loads of congestion the hours just disappeared. 

On topic though, that Wigan away one will be a nice easy one. 

13 hours ago, Palfy said:

I've always held a dream of driving across the state's but as yet haven't realised it, still time fingers crossed.

My brother and two of our mates did it in about 1980, drive-away I think it was called, when someone relocating "hires" someone to drive their car across for them, don't know if it still happens, they weren't paid and had to pay for "gas" (dirt cheap back then). Was from NY to LA and they were given three weeks and a mileage limit of (from memory) just over 3,000. They made it in three weeks but detours meant they covered about 4,500 miles; the owner was cool with that though as they arrived with the (expensive) car in one piece. One of my life's regrets I didn't go with them.

I'd be a bit worried I might end up in a "My Cousin Vinny" scenario though:lol:, love that film.

Drove from Mississippi to Seattle. That took roughly 36 hours over 4 days and 2700 miles(the highways/bypasses made it very easy to speed).

I remember almost running out of gas in Montana as we were in the middle of nowhere. Add to that it was pitch black, so I was sweating bullets. Luckily, we found a gas station with about 15 miles left in the tank.

It was some of the most beautiful scenery though. On the way back we took the Pacific route and went through Oregon, California, Nevada, Colorado. Those were some of the most beautiful places I've ever seen. The return trip took six days and was closer to 3000 miles. Definitely recommend driving across the US if you have time for it.

52 minutes ago, Matt said:

Dude, I can hide in front of a glass of milk, but it still wouldn’t put me off :) 

TT road trip then, let's get it done. We'd have to work out a route that took in as many visits as possible to our colonial TT cousins though (free overnighters:P). June 13th 2020, see you all at JFK. 

2 minutes ago, MikeO said:

TT road trip then, let's get it done. We'd have to work out a route that took in as many visits as possible to our colonial TT cousins though (free overnighters:P). June 13th 2020, see you all at JFK. 

He’s a ginger though, can he be trusted?

6 hours ago, MikeO said:

My brother and two of our mates did it in about 1980, drive-away I think it was called, when someone relocating "hires" someone to drive their car across for them, don't know if it still happens, they weren't paid and had to pay for "gas" (dirt cheap back then). Was from NY to LA and they were given three weeks and a mileage limit of (from memory) just over 3,000. They made it in three weeks but detours meant they covered about 4,500 miles; the owner was cool with that though as they arrived with the (expensive) car in one piece. One of my life's regrets I didn't go with them.

I'd be a bit worried I might end up in a "My Cousin Vinny" scenario though:lol:, love that film.

Are be your cousin Palfy when we going mate 😁