IGNORED

What Are You Reading?

Romey 1878

Was reading about the Wounded Knee massacre yesterday (current issues about the land)....always been interested in Native American stuff so I just ordered this.

Along those lines, you might check out "Empire of the Summer Moon" which traces the rise and fall of the Comanches (those mo-fos were wicked--they used to sew an animal skin around their enemies and leave them in the desert, hence the sun would slowly constrict the skin around them--but I digress), the story also documents how the Comanches kidnapped a white girl and brought her into the tribe; years later her mixed blood son, half comanche/half white Texan, went on to become the last great leader of the Comanches.

This is on my Christmas list; brother as told me he'll buy it for me :).

http://www.wymeruk.co.uk/Store/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=1414

Started reading this today and it's brilliant.....man panning to walk 650 odd miles and a good samaritan offers him a lift after about four hundred yards because he looks exhausted :lol:.

Author is a friend of a friend and the ultimate cynic's cynic.....had to stop reading because it made my stomach hurt. Really need to meet him one day!

It sounds similar to one I read a few years ago, "and did those feet" by Charlie Connelly. The author is an inexperienced walker, relies on his friend to choose equipment and sets out on walks that trace historical British events, in one of the chapters he walks from Norwich to London as Boudicca and her followers apparently did, in another he goes to Isle of Man to learn about King Olaf, in another he finds a monument to the secret queen of Wales; young girl was heir to the Welsh throne was kidnapped and placed in a convent in England.

It's less than £3 here if you're interested. http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/0349120889/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

• 2 weeks later...

I can't have a shit unless I've got something to read. The only book that I had time to grab before shitting myself this morning was the first tome of a Game of Thrones. I only read 37 pages on the shitter, but I'm already so into the book again that I know I now have to read all 5 books all over again. All 5,000 pages.

I can't have a shit unless I've got something to read. The only book that I had time to grab before shitting myself this morning was the first tome of a Game of Thrones. I only read 37 pages on the shitter, but I'm already so into the book again that I know I now have to read all 5 books all over again. All 5,000 pages.

37 pages :huh: that's one long shit!

• 4 weeks later...

If you like reading about football try 'The Far Corner' by Harry Pearson. One of the best and funniest I have read. Diary of a fan who travels round the North East watching football at all levels. Some football league, some local football. Each chapter is a game and includes travelling to the game, the game, and travelling home. It means you can open it and read any chapter in isolation. I still do this and must have read it a dozen or more times.

Game of Thrones. I only read 37 pages on the shitter, but I'm already so into the book again that I know I now have to read all 5 books all over again. All 5,000 pages.

I estimate you've had at least 31 more shits since 20 January so 114 more shits and you're done!

• 2 weeks later...

My all time number one; mind bogglingly brilliant. Have you finished it yet?

got recommended the choirboys and captain corelli's mandolin..similar writing style to catch 22 apparently..ever heard of them? finished it a bit ago by the way..awesome and certainly won't be the last time i read it!

got recommended the choirboys and captain corelli's mandolin..similar writing style to catch 22 apparently..ever heard of them? finished it a bit ago by the way..awesome and certainly won't be the last time i read it!

came this mornin...will crack on with it as soon as i finish 12 years a slave...a lot of books seem cheaper for the actual book than on the kindle app..mad really

Not sure if anyones mentioned it before because i'm not reeading the whole thread, but The Secret Footballer is a decent book i've recently read, one of my favourite books was the damage done by Warren Fellows, an Aussie drug smuggler who got caught and served 13 years in a Thai jail, I read it in an afternoon, great book.

• 6 months later...
Guest millwallforever

Just finished a few books while I was in the field doing research (sun sets at 6pm and no electricity so lots of time to read in the tent via headlamp).

A Constellation of Vital Phenomena -- great, heart-breaking novel about the recent Chechnya-Russian conflict.

The Bees -- fictional account of bees in a bee hive that very surprisingly works and I learned a lot about bees (would make a great animated film)

The Gone Away World -- excellent and funny post-apocalypse fiction with ninjas and mimes and the like

The Numbers Game -- great "money ball" type analysis applied to soccer

The Power of the Dog -- long and really compelling, violent, crime novel about the USA-Mexico drug trade and narcos

• 2 months later...
Guest millwallforever

Just got the Official Autobiography of Everton, Kindle edition is only £1.99. Couple of years old now but it looks incredibly detailed.

The kindle edition doesn't seem to have a table of contents.

• 1 month later...

Matt - I saw that you mentioned "Good Omens" (in 2009!). It's currently a radio show on BBC4 with an 'all star' cast.http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04knt4h/episodes/guide

excellent story, but I'm not a fan of radio really. Plus, there are a bunch of footnote jokes in the book, dunno how that would be translated into wireless! Recommended read though :)